Need Clarification on how DUMA features all relate.

SleepyWeasel

Hello everyone! Just got my NETDUMA yesterday and already enjoyed some improved gameplay on WWII, so naturally I want to see how much better it can be. 

Console: XBOX1
ISP: Xfinity
Download: 45 mbs
Upload: 12 mbs
Saw pings around 12-25ms

Alright so I would like some clarification on a couple of questions. I have been doing my research for sure, but I am getting mixed answers. 

I am currently getting the "we detected another router" message so I would was thinking about adding my wan ip into the DMZ of my isp Modem Router, but this leads me to my questions.

• Does the "We detected another router" message matter if I have an open Nat? (I used to always get "open", didn't retest after setting up netduma with geofilter off)
  • Is putting my wan ip into the DMZ "Safe." I understand the Netduma has a firewall, but is it considered adequate protection.
  • Is there any point to this if you leave UPnP enabled? (I saw someone who suggested using Port Forwarding for xbox live and leaving UPnP  enabled in the netduma.)
  • Is there any drawback/benefits to port forwarding vs UPnP other than attempting to achieve an OPEN NAT
  • How good is 12-15 ping?
  • Is there any benefits to bridge mode? I shut off the WIFI of my xfinity router/modem, but did not put it in bridge mode.
  • Should I give my xbox a reserved IP? 

I am well aware that you can google bridge mode, DMZ, UPnP and each term, but I have read for hours now and am still having trouble how they all relate to each other, which is preventing me from finding the right balance for my setup. Everything is working, but I am just trying to maximize my experience and knowledge. 

Thank you all in advance for time spent answering my questions. 

• Does the "We detected another router" message matter if I have an open Nat?
  • Is putting my wan ip into the DMZ "Safe."
  • Is there any point to this if you leave UPnP enabled?
  • Is there any drawback/benefits to port forwarding vs UPnP other than attempting to achieve an OPEN NAT
  • How good is 12-15 ping?
  • Is there any benefits to bridge mode?
  • Should I give my xbox a reserved IP?

1. Doesn't matter if you have an open NAT.

2. Yes, that's what I used to do before I changed ISP (and setup didn't require it anymore).

3. Not if you already have an open NAT.

4. Not if you already have an open NAT.

5. Very good.

6. If you've already disabled the wifi on the ISP hub, haven't got anything else plugged into it, have an open NAT already and don't have any problems, then I wouldn't mess around with it.

7. I didn't bother, there's no performance benefits to be gained from it. If I was using DMZ then I would though.

1. Doesn't matter if you have an open NAT.

2. Yes, that's what I used to do before I changed ISP (and setup didn't require it anymore).

3. Not if you already have an open NAT.

4. Not if you already have an open NAT.

5. Very good.

6. If you've already disabled the wifi on the ISP hub, haven't got anything else plugged into it, have an open NAT already and don't have any problems, then I wouldn't mess around with it.

7. I didn't bother, there's no performance benefits to be gained from it. If I was using DMZ then I would though.

One more question. When I get home I am going to turn off the geofiltering and see if I do have an open nat. If I don't have an open would you recommend any of the above options over the other to achieve an open nat? Or is all about which one works? 

One more question. When I get home I am going to turn off the geofiltering and see if I do have an open nat. If I don't have an open would you recommend any of the above options over the other to achieve an open nat? Or is all about which one works? 

If UPnP didn't get it open then I used to port forward. But I've also used DMZ on occasion, less faffing involved, with DMZ it's recommended to use a static for your Xbox (because if it changes then it will no longer be in the DMZ).

Someone better qualified than me will pop up with 'bridging' info, I don't have to do it so I don't have much to offer on the subject. As far as I know it just disables the routing functions so is recommended.

• Administrators

Seems like you got great advice, let us know how you get on!

I usually recommend in order of availability:

Bridge 

DMZ (with WiFi, port forwarding & UPnP disabled on hub)

Then either/or UPnP/port forwarding on the R1 with upnp forwarding disabled in miscellaneous settings.

Seems like you got great advice, let us know how you get on!

I usually recommend in order of availability:

Bridge 

DMZ (with WiFi, port forwarding & UPnP disabled on hub)

Then either/or UPnP/port forwarding on the R1 with upnp forwarding disabled in miscellaneous settings.

So I am going to try and switch to bridge mode when I get home from work and I also just found out from My ISP that I am actually getting 200 mbs down and 10 up. sooo I need to change some things does the below list look right.

update bandwidth

preemptive to reactive 

turbo mode on

Should I have deep packet processing on? I only use the duma for xbox.

edit: am I missing anything?

So I am going to try and switch to bridge mode when I get home from work and I also just found out from My ISP that I am actually getting 200 mbs down and 10 up. sooo I need to change some things does the below list look right.

update bandwidth

preemptive to reactive 

turbo mode on

Should I have deep packet processing on? I only use the duma for xbox.

edit: am I missing anything?

Just type in the speeds you get and hit yes when it asks you to auto configure the router. That will change all the settings you need.

Deep packet processing should be off