Question

RADDY1993

Guys my Son has just bought a PS4 and is in my Cabin in the garden but is getting crap speeds over WIFI im guessing due to distance. My question is if i got some home plugs would this benefit his connection, the thing is the Cabin is wired straight from the main electric metre and not from the house and i am wondering will they still work as the one in the house will be on a difference circuit.   

Hi Raddy. I'm not sure how much this helps but here's a link. From what I read on it - it is possible if they are on different circuits but it depends how certain stuff is wired :)

I read that and some other stuff and most people say it works, they say even neighbours can get your signal so use the security with the Home Plugs. They say as long as it's all on the same fuse box which mine is it should work.

Read here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/347024/homeplug-for-room-with-different-circuitry/

• Netduma Staff

I read that and some other stuff and most people say it works, they say even neighbours can get your signal so use the security with the Home Plugs. They say as long as it's all on the same fuse box which mine is it should work.

Read here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/347024/homeplug-for-room-with-different-circuitry/

If it helps, my garage was built separately as an extension, it has a separate fuse box so I assume it is on a separate circuit but home plugs connect to ones in my house from in there :)

What's the drop off like on speeds when not on same circuit? Or no noticeable difference?

Randy, can you borrow a pair of plugs or buy really cheap ones off eBay to test it out? Or buy from Amazon the ones you want and if no good can return?

Well i went to PC World and the guy was adornment it wont work as the power to the Cabin is not ring its a spur meaning it just goes ther and dont come back. But i have read and Crossy said it works from separate fuse boxes, so i am sure as long as its on my main fuse box it should work. Anyway didnt buy as he said i cant return them once opened.  

If for any reason your PLA's do not work there is wifi boosters to try you can also get wifi dishes they look like a sky dish.

Zen iv'e looked at WIFI boosters, do you have any experience with these and if so do they work and do you think it would suit my predicament.

Honestly mate Amazon are amazeballs at customer service from my experience. It might be because I spend a small countries GDP on there year each year but any probs from warranty to just plan returns they have been great.

Latest was my Microsoft band. Sizing is a bitch on them (nowhere to try on before buying) and I wanted to go up a size. I'd been wearing if for 3 days (and told them so). Wasn't a problem, packed it up as new (obviously you need to keep the boxes etc to pack up again) and had a new one next day. Could of had a refund if I'd wanted as well.

• Administrators

Honestly wifi is really not my domain. I dont think powerplugs will work across the garden unfortunately. I think I'd just go with a long ass ethernet cable myself as I think wifi is terrible for gaming

Honestly wifi is really not my domain. I dont think powerplugs will work across the garden unfortunately. I think I'd just go with a long ass ethernet cable myself as I think wifi is terrible for gaming

I agree. You can buy cat 5 cable relatively cheap these days. This is the first link that came up when I searched cat 5 bulk.

https://sewelldirect.com/Cat5e-Bulk-Cable-24-AWG-1000-ft-Yellow-Pull-Box.asp?gclid=CjwKEAjwhbCrBRCO7-e7vuXqiT4SJAB2B5u7ifFngsjJagWLXcrTO1pr6byC5ULKrX68uCJCxQFt_hoClwvw_wcB

Or Cat6 outdoor cable Here

We have set up a wifi dish for a customer from his farm to his hotel that is on the other side of the town and yes they work.

But i would just go the outdoor ethernet route.

Zen iv'e looked at WIFI boosters, do you have any experience with these and if so do they work and do you think it would suit my predicament.

Raddy I'd say stay away from wi-fi boosters (as in the repeater types) , they are haphazard at best and the way they work is they cut your bandwidth in half so all around not a solution I would recommend.

FYI I installed a wireless access point for a client of mine in a cabin at the end of their garden with homeplugs to bring the signal down there, worked perfectly.  Signal light on the homeplugs would flash between amber and green (green being best) but they never dropped out and overall a happy experience.

If they work homeplugs are the way to go unless you fancy dragging cat 6 through the garden.

Raddy I'd say stay away from wi-fi boosters (as in the repeater types) , they are haphazard at best and the way they work is they cut your bandwidth in half so all around not a solution I would recommend.

FYI I installed a wireless access point for a client of mine in a cabin at the end of their garden with homeplugs to bring the signal down there, worked perfectly.  Signal light on the homeplugs would flash between amber and green (green being best) but they never dropped out and overall a happy experience.

If they work homeplugs are the way to go unless you fancy dragging cat 6 through the garden.

Well the guy at PC World said it wont work as its not on same ring main as the house but i read that people have had them working on different ring and circuits as long as they all go to the same fuse box which mine does. 

There's cat7 gold plated ethernet you can buy now not sure about outdoors ones but has anyone here had any experience with cat7?would they be worth getting hold of?was thinking about changing all my ethernet for brand new ones,I've heard they can be the cause of problems if any faults on them.

Archived