CoD IW with the Duma

Bauer2206

I just recently purchased the Netduma and I'm trying to get the thing dialed in correctly. I live in North Carolina, US. My speeds are 300+ down / 30+up. I have my Xbox One connected via ethernet. My friends and I typically only play whatever the newest COD is at the time as well as the newest Forza Motorsports. That said, my friends are kind of scattered about. One lives in my neighborhood, one lives in South Carolina, one in Georgia, another in my same state by on the other side of it. I've been using the "COD Ultimate" profile with geo-location enabled for a radius about 400-500 miles and ping assist between 40-50. I'm not sure if the Duma is doing anything or not but I feel generally that we have gotten into games with better connections...I think. One of my friends in South Carolina tends to be struggling now though more than he did before using the Duma. He was the one originally searching for rooms or running the room where now because I have the Duma, I am searching for the games and running the room. I've got hyper control set for the Xbox One and the right algorithm selected. UPnP is enabled. IPV6 is off. Deep packets is unticked. What else should I be doing? Am I doing anything wrong currently? I'm just looking for some helpful suggestions if anyone has any. Thanks a lot!!

In case you haven't, Get them to join a custom lobby so it is just you and your friends, turn off show dormant hosts just for simplification. Then click the circle on the geo filter which should come up in the location of where your friend is from, name them, and slide the bar to 100 and click update.

Rinse and repeat for any other friends.

I'm not completely confident that I'm setting the ping assist at the right place (40-50). Also not too sure what this feature does, to be honest. Would appreciate any help...

Ping Assist works independently of the radius of the Geo filter to allow you to get hosts outside of the circle.

Ping Assist does NOT affect the filtering within the circle's radius (you can get a host with any ping within the circle).

Examples.

1) If you have a Ping Assist value of 0ms.

You will ONLY get hosts within the circle.

UNLESS you turn 'Strict' OFF, which will then allow you to get dedis (but not P2P) outside of the radius.

2) If you set a Ping Assist value of 50ms.

You will get hosts within the circle AND hosts outside the circle as long as your ping to that host is equal to or below 50ms.

Your ping assist value has to be set in relation to your base ping.

If you ping something big, like Twitter or Google, in 30ms+ then there's no point setting your ping assist at 10ms because you won't get any games.

You probably want to set it around your base ping + 15-25ms.

Ping Assist works independently of the radius of the Geo filter to allow you to get hosts outside of the circle.

Ping Assist does NOT affect the filtering within the circle's radius (you can get a host with any ping within the circle).

Examples.

1) If you have a Ping Assist value of 0ms.

You will ONLY get hosts within the circle.

UNLESS you turn 'Strict' OFF, which will then allow you to get dedis (but not P2P) outside of the radius.

2) If you set a Ping Assist value of 50ms.

You will get hosts within the circle AND hosts outside the circle as long as your ping to that host is equal to or below 50ms.

Your ping assist value has to be set in relation to your base ping.

If you ping something big, like Twitter or Google, in 30ms+ then there's no point setting your ping assist at 10ms because you won't get any games.

You probably want to set it around your base ping + 15-25ms.

Thank you for this info. How do I test for my base ping? Also, how will this affect my friends who party up with me?

Thank you for this info. How do I test for my base ping? Also, how will this affect my friends who party up with me?

I use Ping Plotter. But you can use your PC's command prompt (or Mac's Terminal).

Or you can use the Diagnostics tab within the Netduma settings but you can't change what you ping with this at the moment.

If you want a really quick and dirty 'ping check' then you can just go by the ping it says when you run an online speed test, this is probably accurate enough to be honest.

You can't change your ping, so it doesn't really have any bearing on the people in your party. Your ping is what it is.

I use Ping Plotter. But you can use your PC's command prompt (or Mac's Terminal).

Or you can use the Diagnostics tab within the Netduma settings but you can't change what you ping with this at the moment.

If you want a really quick and dirty 'ping check' then you can just go by the ping it says when you run an online speed test, this is probably accurate enough to be honest.

You can't change your ping, so it doesn't really have any bearing on the people in your party. Your ping is what it is.

Thanks again for that new info. After checking from my macbook, both wired and wirelessly from several different potential servers, my ping ranged from 18-38ms. With this in mind, how should I proceed with the Netduma settings?

• Administrators

You've been given some good advice so far. 

Keep in mind the R1 is designed to give you better connections not your friends - though of course it can help. If you want to make it as fair as possible for everyone I would set your home location in a place that is somewhere between all of you. 

With your base ping I would use 50-60ms ping assist. 

You've been given some good advice so far. 

Keep in mind the R1 is designed to give you better connections not your friends - though of course it can help. If you want to make it as fair as possible for everyone I would set your home location in a place that is somewhere between all of you. 

With your base ping I would use 50-60ms ping assist. 

Thank you, Fraser. Just a couple questions more: When using the geo-filter, should I also be using "strict mode"? And as far as congestion control, I already have the hyper-service configured for the Xbox One but as far as the flower thing, at what percentage should the console be? I already have it set with the majority going to the console but that makes the numbers very low for all of the other devices. Additionally, as far as congestion control, I do have "share excess" enabled. Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just trying to get this thing dialed in just right. Thanks!!

When using the geo-filter, should I also be using "strict mode"? And as far as congestion control, I already have the hyper-service configured for the Xbox One but as far as the flower thing, at what percentage should the console be? I already have it set with the majority going to the console but that makes the numbers very low for all of the other devices. Additionally, as far as congestion control, I do have "share excess" enabled. Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just trying to get this thing dialed in just right. Thanks!!

You're best off just leaving the flower reset evenly, with 'Share Excess' enabled.

Strict mode I mentioned further up the page already. If you disable it, it still allows you to get dedicated servers if they are outside of your radius.

• Administrators

As Colonic said above!

I normally do recommend strict mode to be enabled as it restricts the search even more and gives you a better chance of a good game. Gaming doesn't use much bandwidth so there is no need to give it the majority. Given your upload speed you probably don't need to allocate anymore to it than is already given out by default. With share excess on you don't need to worry either, it should always have enough to game.