WTF is lag?

• Administrators

I'm going to start blogging a lot more on networking. Hopefully you guys will find it interesting, and maybe just maybe it may dispel a few myths out there. 

Anyway first blog is on what lag is: http://netduma.com/wtf-is-lag/

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. 

When it come to congestion control how do you determine your sweet spot. I think of 60 to 70 being more of a recommendation than the answer. Is there a formula for like you bandwidth/number of devices or something that you an can use to get a better value for congestion control.

I can learn so much from your sir...i would just need a third of your brain. I wondering how I can approach my ISP to help me lower my ping value or maybe they can't.

Thank you for being here for supporting us Iian, its more of a frustration. When I game on east coast servers with the R1,, Life is so good i can game for hours (Not good wifey gets mad lol). Because my clan is playing on the west coast (I have no choice in this matter) it is a mess and I understand its because of RTT of package. So I'm always looking at how I have my setup and if i can optimize it to minimize my lag. My ISP tells me my ping is good, But I know they can do better. I have learned alot since having the R1 and this forum. This has been the best money I spent in a long while for a router. I look forward in the blog and after seeing the video you had with beast, I understand a lot more that you don't need much to game. I wonder if I should downgrade my 75/75 up and down for something less because I sometimes think having to much may be causeing me issues with my package. Just my opinion.

• Administrators

It sounds to me like its not your ISP because you said it works well on the east coast. If it was your ISP it wouldn't work well on the east coast. So its almost certainly the distance. Can you & your friends not pick a server in the middle of the USA? 

yes... your right about this.

Distance is the cause.

I play where we have matches, unfortunately it seems like all the servers we get placed is the other side (such the luck)

thanks for your response

nice read, really

short yet very detailed with examples for a faster comprehension

When it come to congestion control how do you determine your sweet spot. I think of 60 to 70 being more of a recommendation than the answer. Is there a formula for like you bandwidth/number of devices or something that you an can use to get a better value for congestion control.

just play your game and watch the network monitor for how much data the game needs in up and download

then multiply that with 4 or 5 to be on the save side and calculate how much bandwidth that is compared to your overall bandwidth

if you have a 100mbit connection then 70% is kind of an overkill as you reserve 30mbits for just the game, in reality i havent seen a game taking more than 0,7 mbits on consoles yet

make sure though to always have a bit of a puffer or else your ping will go high again, therefore multiply it with 4 or 5

at least thats how i always did it, since im now after reading that blog an official "I'm a network engineer" expert i must be right, no? ;)

no for real, while the above always worked for me id let Iain comment on the plausibility of this post

• Administrators

Thanks Od1n

The reason I suggest 70% is due to bursts. If you get a burst of traffic you want enough available bandwidth for it not to cause a permanent queue. Its a fascinating part of queueing theory I may have to post a blog on it one day. Although that is far more technical. 

To keep it simple Ortiz just keep sliding it up till you are happy :)

I pop mine on 100% each way when my son is not about so i can download at full speed then back to 70% when I am done.

There is an open ticket for an timer or game traffic algorithm on the congestion control if i am not mistaken.

Great write up Iain.Very user friendly and easy to understand and apply to real world gaming.I think you should write more stuff like this when you have the time as they are great for explaining how the features of the duma can help eliminate everyday gaming issues.And what causes issues that everyone comes across on a daily basis.

But I was most impressed with the art work,I don't know who did it but if that guy never draws or paints again the art world will suffer a serious loss   :D

• Administrators

lmao Fuzzy! 

I don't know too much about cables themself but the longer they are the worse the throughput. There is a guy here who knows his stuff about cables I'll him to comment on twitter.

Archived