stand alone router connected to netduma

Hi all,

Im wondering if it is easier to have a separate router connected to the netduma and disable the netdumas wifi. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to it?

This would only give me two items in congestion control, i was thinking it would be easier to only have the router set to 20% and my PS4 set to 80%.

I have looked for this in past subjects and seen something about 'access point', im not too sure what that is.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

S

Yes, many people do this so they can get 5ghz wifi which the R1 does not have. If you have 2 items connected just give them even distribution and tick share excess. Your PS4 will use very little bandwidth for gaming on. 

Unless the device is a dedicated access point  you will have to enable it on it's interface as a access point if that makes sense. For instance if it is a wireless router that you will be using then there should be a way to enable access point only on it.  If you don't do this the device will continue to try to operate as a wireless router and then you will have conflicts.  

This would only give me two items in congestion control, i was thinking it would be easier to only have the router set to 20% and my PS4 set to 80%.

I have looked for this in past subjects and seen something about 'access point', im not too sure what that is.

It will only give you two items in Congestion Control if nothing is attached to the Access Point.

If you're using the AP for wifi or have other items wired into it, then they will all still appear individually in Congestion Control as well.

Most of time when people are talking about Access Points in here, they're talking about a separate router with an 'Access Point' mode.

It just disables the routing functions of the secondary router and acts as a switch (for extra ports) and/or a wifi point.

And, like Buck Nasssty said, if you don't put it in AP mode (leaving it as a router) things can get messy with conflicts and confused wifi.

You can get standalone 'access points' but I think they call them 'wireless repeaters' (not sure).

They work in conjunction with your existing wifi rather than replace it (so you would leave your Netduma wifi enabled).

I've had nothing but trouble with these 'repeaters' in the past though, maybe they're better these days.

And, as far as I know, 'repeaters' always half your speeds for anything connecting via the repeater but a router in AP mode does not half your speeds.

[quote name="ColonicBoom" post="147975"

And, like Buck Nasssty said, if you don't put it in AP mode (leaving it as a router) things can get messy with conflicts and confused wifi.

Sorry, not fully understanding this - Would it still be conflicted if i hardwired my new router into the netduma and cancelled the wifi from the netduma? And would i still have to put the new router into access point??

[quote name="ColonicBoom" post="147975"

Sorry, not fully understanding this - Would it still be conflicted if i hardwired my new router into the netduma and cancelled the wifi from the netduma? And would i still have to put the new router into access point??

Correct you will have conflicts.  And the new router does have to be placed in access point mode.  

If you just connect another router to the Netduma and then disable the wifi then you will have conflicts between them, they will both try to be 'the router' and they will have a little fight about who's in charge.

But if you put the second router into 'Access Point' mode, which disables it's router features, then they will happily play together and they won't fight. Much like having the vet snip the balls off your cat.

If you just connect another router to the Netduma and then disable the wifi then you will have conflicts between them, they will both try to be 'the router' and they will have a little fight about who's in charge.

But if you put the second router into 'Access Point' mode, which disables it's router features, then they will happily play together and they won't fight. Much like having the vet snip the balls off your cat.

That was a meowtastic comparison! :lol:

Haha and thanks,

Haha and thanks, i love a bit of 'layman's terms', im trying to learn all this stuff and you are all helping. Loving my duma.

Ill get myself a router and stick it in access mode.

Haha and thanks,

Haha and thanks, i love a bit of 'layman's terms', im trying to learn all this stuff and you are all helping. Loving my duma.

Ill get myself a router and stick it in access mode.

Whatever you do, don't take a knife to the understand of your router.

If you have a few in mind and you're not sure about which one to choose, feel free to post the choices up in here.

I'll leave the thread open.

I have an Asus RT-N66U as an access point after my Netduma. It's a bit old now but it's been doing a great job.

I needed the 5ghz and the extra ports, and I already had the Asus in a cupboard, otherwise I'd have probably bought something cheaper.

Just an update - ive bought this 'TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Access Point' and i am waiting for it to arrive.

Link was not working!!

Its cheap and hopefully cheerful.

Will i just be using the same password that is on my duma or do i set it again for the access point?

Thanks again everyone

S

• Administrators

Just an update - ive bought this 'TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbps Access Point' and i am waiting for it to arrive.

Link was not working!!

Its cheap and hopefully cheerful.

Will i just be using the same password that is on my duma or do i set it again for the access point?

Thanks again everyone

S

Turn the WiFi off on the duma. You would set a different WiFi name/password as it's a completely different device