BT G.Fast Technology

Stealth_01

Hi to all Duma members,

So as per usual, I woke up this morning to find an e-mail from BT sitting in my inbox, and I immediately thought what are these bunch  of plebs rising the prices for and/or trying to sell me now. On the contrary I open up the e-mail and they were asking me if i wanted to take part in there new upcoming ultrafast broadband trial for free which would see my download rise from 80Mb to a whopping 300Mb!!

I didnt really know what to think so i gave the number on the e-mail a call to verify this. After speaking to the trials team assistant I was told that my area (Upton Park) is one of the 17 areas for G.Fast to go on trial this year. So i went back through the e-mail and walked through the relevant steps to apply. I'll find out by the 15th of March whether ive been accepted. Fingers crossed i get chosen. This e-mail could not have come at a better time, as my contract was coming to an end very soon and I already had decided that I was going to go with IDNet's gamer package. Can you imagine how gutted i would have been if I'd left last month and then all of a sudden I hear about this.

So ive decided to run it for the course of the trial and see what its like with gaming and take it from there.

Has anyone on here had any experience with BT's G.Fast tech??? Is it really as good as it sounds?? I live pretty close to the cabinet so heres hoping i can max it out :)

And lastly I cannot wait to run some speed tests and a obtain some ping plotter results to see how good this stuff really is. Its the only thing im looking forward to now as no one actually knows whats going on with DumaOS.

Watch this space for more updates, and 1 like = 1prayer that i get selected :D 

Regards,

Good luck, One thing I would be cautious of is the amount of people on the trial will not really give you an. experience of what it is like on a Saturday night at peak times when contention ratio's etc are high. You will be experiencing it at it's best during the trial I would imagine.

I generally find BT to be pretty good overall though and cannot imagine what would require 300 download. lol.

All that said it will be interesting to hear your opinions on it if you get selected. :)

Good luck, One thing I would be cautious of is the amount of people on the trial will not really give you an. experience of what it is like on a Saturday night at peak times when contention ratio's etc are high. You will be experiencing it at it's best during the trial I would imagine.

I generally find BT to be pretty good overall though and cannot imagine what would require 300 download. lol.

All that said it will be interesting to hear your opinions on it if you get selected. :)

There are 2 options i believe from what i've researched.

Option 1: 160Mb and Option 2: 300Mb

Like you said 300Mb is a crazy amount of bandwidth which is more than likely unnecessary, but option 1 does look alot more appealing. When it comes to pricing I haven't really been able to find any solid figures. I understand your concerns with regards to contention ratios but I believe this will all come down to pricing. I dont think many customers are gonna jump bandwagons really quickly as they're probably tied up with existing contracts. As long as they're offering a 12 month contract and the trial goes smoothly i'd be more than happy to stay with them for another year. Once it becomes over saturated, probably when prices become alot cheaper im guessing, ill jump ship. 

I'll defo be updating this thread on a regular basis if I get selected so keep your eyes peeled :)