Ping plotter showing packet loss

Okay, so I usually just use the line quality, ping, and speed test on DSL reports.com to routinely check my line.  I also run my own tracerts using the command line in windows and the internet diagnotic in the R1 Gui.

I used to use ping plotter but stopped using it since I stopped playing PVP and my line appeared to be dialed in.  Now with me playing PVP again and started using the Netduma I decided to use ping plotter again the other night.

Using ping plotter and pinging Xbox.com and google.com I was getting a lot of packet loss using IPV6 on the R1 router IP address (my LAN) and 3 other hops along the way.  However If I pinged those same servers using IPV4 I would get no packet losss but my pings to xbox.com went up 80ms but showed no packet loss, so I turned off IPV6 in the mean time and contacted my ISP.

I tested again last night using IPV4 pinging google.com using ping plotter and let it run for few minutes this time at 2.5 second intervals.  This time the R1 IP (my LAN) would be coming up with packet loss!

I read this thread after doing a search http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2665-packet-loss-when-pinging-r1/

I have a Cisco DPQ 3212 modem, is there still an issue with Cisco modems and the R1 that Lain mentions in the thread?

All the other tests have yet to show packet loss except a one offer every now again but ping plotter is consistent with packet loss.

I ran these tests in the evening when there was very little traffic on my network.

Are there any settings in the R1 that could be causing this that I should check while I wait to hear back from my ISP?

Thanks for your help!

Update:  My ISP suggested it is the Netduma causing the packet loss issue, he even asked if I am using the R1 as my router even before I told him.  So looks like there is still any issue with the R1 and packet loss???

Have you tested directly connected without the R1?

Not yet, was hoping to get a game plan ready before unplugging and plugging things back in.

Use the 2.5 interval, anything less makes any of my routers show packet loss.

Yes see original post, all ping plots are set to 2.5 seconds

I tested again last night using IPV4 pinging google.com using ping plotter and let it run for few minutes this time at 2.5 second intervals.  This time the R1 IP (my LAN) would be coming up with packet loss!

If there is no PL from the Modem/Router alone try a new Ethernet cable between it and the Netuma.

Yeah, I hope it is not "that"  cable.  That cable is new, I had to replace it last year cuz I noticed on my modem the "link" LED was amber and not green indicating it was not a gigabit connection.  There was bad connector on my Ethernet cable from my modem to my router so I replaced it with a new CAT6 one.  However I will run some additional tests with stuff taken out of the loop to narrow it down.  I was hoping after reading that one thread it was just some odd setting in the Netduma GUI.

Most ISP level 1 techs don't know much about anything except for fixing bad cables, measuring signal and swapping equipment so I'd be surprised if whoever you spoke to could tell you what ping and packet loss even is... To pass their "test" you have to be able to hit about 80% of your paid for speeds and that's it. Ping and packet loss mean nothing to 99% of their customers. Besides, they're not going to blame their equipment or network for problems before they blame you and customer owned equipment first.

Most ISP level 1 techs don't know much about anything except for fixing bad cables, measuring signal and swapping equipment so I'd be surprised if whoever you spoke to could tell you what ping and packet loss even is... To pass their "test" you have to be able to hit about 80% of your paid for speeds and that's it. Ping and packet loss mean nothing to 99% of their customers. Besides, they're not going to blame their equipment or network for problems before they blame you and customer owned equipment first.

Yes i am aware of tech levels. Anytime i have connection issues I IM the cox rep over at dslreports. He's has always been knowledgeable and helpful. I don't even bother calling their customer service for technical issues because most of them are ignorant and just read from a manual.

Yes i am aware of tech levels. Anytime i have connection issues I IM the cox rep over at dslreports. He's has always been knowledgeable and helpful. I don't even bother calling their customer service for technical issues because most of them are ignorant and just read from a manual.

Eh they've been iffy for me there. Mostly just a messenger to communicate from someone else who is level 2 or 3.

Eh they've been iffy for me there. Mostly just a messenger to communicate from someone else who is level 2 or 3.

Yeah I guess come to think of it, I've had no real technical issues with my ISP that were all that serious so I really can not say either way but no complaints yet.  I think the one time I had some one come out to look at my service lines, I went through their facebook page.

Anyway, Well I am pretty sure I found the problem, a couple of weeks ago I swapped my PC cable to use with my Xbox for testing and I just installed a cable that an ISP tech made for me when I had the service installed and forgot I swapped it out.  So I ran ping plotter to see if I was still getting packet loss before I did anything and I still was seeing packet loss last night.

I swapped out that questionable patch cable and ran ping plotter last night and ran it again this morning using both IPV4 and IPV6 pinging google.com and Xbox and all good!   Zero packet loss and they ran for a good 30 minutes each time.

Yeah I guess come to think of it, I've had no real technical issues with my ISP that were all that serious so I really can not say either way but no complaints yet.  I think the one time I had some one come out to look at my service lines, I went through their facebook page.

Anyway, Well I am pretty sure I found the problem, a couple of weeks ago I swapped my PC cable to use with my Xbox for testing and I just installed a cable that an ISP tech made for me when I had the service installed and forgot I swapped it out.  So I ran ping plotter to see if I was still getting packet loss before I did anything and I still was seeing packet loss last night.

I swapped out that questionable patch cable and ran ping plotter last night and ran it again this morning using both IPV4 and IPV6 pinging google.com and Xbox and all good!   Zero packet loss and they ran for a good 30 minutes each time.

Run at around the same time as last night... Time of day effects it differently

Run at around the same time as last night... Time of day effects it differently

Yeah for sure I will run it different times, I am little OCD, lol but yeah but they were the same time.  I feel pretty confident though that it was the patch cable as I literally ran ping plotter, saw that I still had packet loss, stopped ping plotter, swapped out patch cable, started ping plotter again and no packet loss since.  Then I enabled IPV6 in the router and rebooted it and tested again.  So far so good! We will see how it goes because I am sure I will be testing it throughout the weekend.  :lol:

Have you tested directly connected without the R1?

I'm having the same issue when pinging the R1 with Ping Plotter. I tried using different cables at first but I was still getting about 55-58% packet loss to the R1. I then tried a test directly connected to my ISP router (Technicolor tc8305c) without the R1 with the same cables I used for the R1 tests and I got zero packet loss (multiple tests as well). Any thoughts on what could be causing that much packet loss to my R1? It's very strange because my gaming seems to run OK, but I imagine it would run 100x smoother if I reduced over 50% packet loss like that.

I'm having the same issue when pinging the R1 with Ping Plotter. I tried using different cables at first but I was still getting about 55-58% packet loss to the R1. I then tried a test directly connected to my ISP router (Technicolor tc8305c) without the R1 with the same cables I used for the R1 tests and I got zero packet loss (multiple tests as well). Any thoughts on what could be causing that much packet loss to my R1? It's very strange because my gaming seems to run OK, but I imagine it would run 100x smoother if I reduced over 50% packet loss like that.

My results with the R1: https://share.pingplotter.com/dq9fQQMJx23

With my ISP router: https://share.pingplotter.com/Ls6tgKcKGS4

It is better to keep your results in your own thread for resolvement, are these tests using the 2.5 interval? if not set to 2.5 and re-test.

Yes it's 2.5. And it's also not my cable having an issue because I've used the same one for both tests and got no packet loss on my ISP router. And OK I'll start my own thread. Thanks. 

Archived