Notification Script - Python

Netduma Crossy

• Netduma Staff

Not sure how many people run Linux or would find it useful but I've written a python script that will display a Desktop Notification when there is new post/thread. Frequent users might find it useful :)

Its written in python. Feel free to modify the code, distribute it, you can do whatever you want with it :) There is a readme file in the download that explains how to run it if you want to use it.

Also, this will probably work on mac with a few changes so if you are on a mac and want to use it then I can change it a bit to make it work.

Download [here]. - Linux (last updated 01/05/2015)

Download [here]. - Mac (last updated 01/05/2015)

Btw, only tested this on Ubuntu, not sure if it will work on other Linux Distributions.

EDIT:

Re-written the program. You can get it here which is the github thing which Iain recommended doing. The same script now works for Mac and Linux :) Read the readme for install instructions :)

• Netduma Staff

Good work Crossy! I'm on Mac so would love it if you could definitely work with it :)

Sure! I'll see if I can use the mac notification system :) Is Mac an upgrade from whatever ancient windows os you were on here :P

• Administrators

Sure! I'll see if I can use the mac notification system :) Is Mac an upgrade from whatever ancient windows os you were on here :P

Awesome cheers, that would be great! Hahahaha, well that was actually windows 7 but I put it to basic to boost performance :P 

• Netduma Staff

Awesome cheers, that would be great! Hahahaha, well that was actually windows 7 but I put it to basic to boost performance :P

Ah, I see, not that old then  :) I've updated original post with Mac version. I think you need to be on Mavericks or later for it to work.

• Administrators

Ah, I see, not that old then  :) Here is mac version - I've also updated original post. I think you need to be on Mavericks or later for it to work.

Great thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes :)

• Netduma Staff

Great thanks! I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes :)

Ok. I think its working for Mac. I only changed one part of the code and it works on Linux so it should be good. If it isn't working let me know and I'll fix it :)

• Administrators

Nice one Crossy,

Quick suggestion, use something like github when you're distributing source. For example I probably won't run the program because my dev machine only runs certain things on it. But I'd love to scan through the code & see what you've done.

• Netduma Staff

Nice one Crossy,

Quick suggestion, use something like github when you're distributing source. For example I probably won't run the program because my dev machine only runs certain things on it. But I'd love to scan through the code & see what you've done.

I'll take a look at it now :) It was mainly python libraries though, lol.

• Netduma Staff

Nice one Crossy,

Right, here you go: https://github.com/kiancross/forumNotifications

Is that what you mean? :)

• Administrators

haha toby!

yes perfect Crossy. I'll give it a ganer when I get back this weekend. Right now I'm knee deep in code already

• Netduma Staff

I thought you had a secret rss feed ;) now i know , nice work :)

This is just parsing the HTML on the recent content page but I think there is an RSS feed somewhere :)

• Netduma Staff

Honesly I'm a complete noob at this forum, Luke can take a look when he gets back :)

I've found out how to do it Iain. You just gotta go to RSS management and set up new stream :)

Archived