Learning curve

Guest Netduma_Iain

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few people mention that the router has quite a steep learning curve. For the netduma team we've been using it for so long(or developing it) that we have no idea what its like to be new to the router. We tried to make it as simple as possible using tooltips and the intro tour but do you lot have any suggestions on how we can reduce the learning curve?

For example would you like:

• direct links to the wiki
  • more tours available for each feature
  • youtube videos
  • a physical manual accompanying the router

Or any other suggestions/

Thanks

Iain 

i havnt been keeping up in the last few months but I would guess atleast 50% of the issues are related to not understanding basic networking and terminology. 

I would start with an extremely basic introduction into the factors at play w/ dumbed down definitions for everything.

I honestly dont see how your device can be percieved as having a steep learning curve compared to most retail routers with awful GUI's.

I personally think its one of the easiest routers i've used but some of the terminology isn't always transparent.  What i think would help the most is expanding the tool tips to tick boxes and icon's not just the menu, explaining the particular meaning/use of the specific function/option.

The thing I spend the most time figuring out is who is host, I usually have 3 or more big red circles when playing. I know it pings host but then I am clicking on each one to see what one it is. I would like to see the host of a lobby as a completely different colour myself unless I am just a dumb @$$ and am missing something.

Maybe you could do something about the firmware update? I had a problem with that right off the rip, because it needed that update to allow me to open the DHCP lease. Without that, the router wouldn't work. Make the update easier, because it will download but you have to apply it, something most users aren't used to.

Iain, this is just a suggestion, but why not have an "Fast Configuration" mode that just sets the Geo-Filter home based on the users IP address and set it to something like 500-800KM's with 70% both ways in Congestion Control after the R1 forces a speedtest and places the results in the bandwidth fields?

I'm assuming it'd take a little bit of work but for the "noobs" it'd save a lot of time wasting for you guys.

The thing I spend the most time figuring out is who is host, I usually have 3 or more big red circles when playing. I know it pings host but then I am clicking on each one to see what one it is. I would like to see the host of a lobby as a completely different colour myself unless I am just a dumb @$$ and am missing something.

The circles get larger when there is traffic between you and the circle. So for instance, If you are in party chat you'll get some other circles enlarge from the communication between you and your party members as well as the circle from the game host.

Some great suggestions here , i like audiounit's hover tool tips to say what every thing is for noobs and then a tiick box for the pro's to turn off the tooltip's maybe

On the congestion control you could have a tip to set to 70% / 70% and on the geo suggestions for setting's etc.

A flash player help for each page of the GUI with either a help vid for that section on an animated Duma the tiger pointing out the do's and don't on that certain page.

I see a lot of "new" owners of the router posting that the game play is not any different than before they bought the R1, They are then asked to make sure strict is ticked and this usually sorts them out.

The other common thing I see is not waiting two minutes before trying again after making adjustments to the geo filter.

Maybe a list of things "to do" or "to check" like a very simple trouble shooting guide to include in the box when you ship it.

Similar to A7Legit's post maybe a setup wizard where you ask a few basic questions and automatically set up the router on first run with the most common config and give recommendations on settings for gaming, that will get n00bs up and running fast and they can then take time to learn the functions more deeply to tweak it to their liking.

So off the top of my head

Run a bandwidth test and set the bandwidth, algorithm and deep packet inspection

Ask user to connect gaming device(s) name them in device manager and set them up in host filtering with the most common config (strict mode on! :))

Set users home location from their IP address

<Other stuff here>..

Finally recommend settings for gaming based on information gathered.  If/when the dashboard feature gets implemented create profile(s) for gaming so n00bs can just click on a profile and off they go.

For me all the information I needed for deep configuration was readily available and I think your current resources to learn the functions of the router are good. I think the main issue is for non-techies who want a more plug and play solution.

Hi lain,

I like the way the router is but I’ve now had it for a while and know how to move around.

We need to be able to look at it from the first time as someone who does not understand what they’re getting.

I think this router is definitely different after the initial setup

I think if there was an automatic wizard (All these values can be reset to personalize use, just to get everyone on the same page before assisting them in their questions)

1.       Detect connection

2.       Network test automatically detect upload and download and places value(Congestion control is set off during test)

3.       Base on the network test sets ping assist automatically

4.       Base on speed test, it will set pre or reactive, congestion control to both 70% up and down(after speed test)

5.       Be able to select PA for PS4, PS3, Xbox, Xbox360 and so on

6.       Miles or k defaults for your use

7.       Not sure what to do with portforwarding settings, I’ll leave that to you

8.       Location set

9.       Anything else that should default base on the information the router collected.

And that’s it

·         direct links to the wiki (Standard)

·         more tours available for each feature - (Yes)

·         YouTube videos - (Always a plus)

·         a physical manual accompanying the router - (No)

My Opinion only!!!

·        

·         Other players, just a dot. Think there are too many circles - Maybe pick your own color... may make easier for people to relate.

·         Can you set the color graph for the different display (Big Green Circle - You/Orange Square - Dedicated  servers/I like yellow triangle/Blue for current Host connected to/Grey for players you’re playing with) Something where it differentiates in a glance what’s going on.

·         where the geo filter ping map is is located and displayed, Is it possible to be able to also display (not to big) the congestion bandwidth value number on top or bellow together? I like when the automatic ping host is reading but would like to see a value if I am exceeding my home bandwidth. (I would like to be in the same display page and see everything important to me without going to another page) 

I would like to see the host differently, sometimes I have multiple big red circles and cant figure out who is host

If that happens you are most likely the host. You should't see that too often if you're playing games with dedicated servers like advanced warfare.

I see a lot of "new" owners of the router posting that the game play is not any different than before they bought the R1, They are then asked to make sure strict is ticked and this usually sorts them out.

The other common thing I see is not waiting two minutes before trying again after making adjustments to the geo filter.

Maybe a list of things "to do" or "to check" like a very simple trouble shooting guide to include in the box when you ship it.

So I have to wait 2 minutes if I raise my radius or ping assist?  Or is that only after a match? 

I'm not a network noob, the set up is straightforward enough I found its the tweaking part I'm having trouble with.

Like others not really knowing which is the host, while playing I feel it should be clearer I'm looking at game more than router, different colour for myself makes sense.

The curtains take some getting used to and some wording is a bit ambiguous.

Enable/disable would make more sense enabled/disabled on the geo filter to me.

Only found out about the 2 mins wait time on forum after I raised a support request.

Being able to remove devices without resetting router.

The legend has multiple colours, I still not sure if that's supposed to show all colours or the router sets it one colour, gold after first setup now red after I reset router. Not seen blue or green at all.

No router log in username or password and no mention if that's correct, all other routers I ever worked with have these, makes easy access but is it secure.

Miles as well as kilometres

The videos I watched are for the previous firmware version so things are a bit different to this version. Not easy keeping these up to date for something as new and dynamic as this so I understand that's a trade off.

Having said all that, after I set distance to around 1000k I have left it alone don't block or allow and its working great just tweak distance occasionally if getting into game a problem.

Guest Netduma Fraser

So I have to wait 2 minutes if I raise my radius or ping assist?  Or is that only after a match? 

If you raise them, then thats fine. If you are lowering them though you will have to wait so that you get properly disconnected from the things that were in your previous filter but are now not. Mostly applicable after a match so you don't get into the same game if its bad :)

Archived