Lagging, lag spikes and no real improvement.

Hey guys,

I have been having some ongoing issues with lag and lag spikes, I am currently on my second Netduma (many thanks to Netduma for replacing the first one quickly, much appreciated). I play mainly on PC and Xbox One and will get some major ping spikes and ping jumps on both Xbox Live and on PC. I did have a few issues with my ISP who have done a fair bit of line work and things seem okay from their end at the moment. I have tried congestion control settings, switching between pre-emptive and reactive to no avail. I am ping spiking anywhere from 40 to 90 right up into the hundreds. Since running the Netduma in general I have noticed no speed/ping or performance increases when compared to the ASUS routers I was running before. Just ran a speed test now and got these results:

Download speed: 87.15Mbps

Upload speed: 1.90Mbps

Latency: 9ms

Jitter: 1ms

The way Netduma goes about things is great but I just haven't had a lot of success with it so far.

Edit: Sorry forgot to mention I ran the Internet Diagnosis in the router and got these results:

Ping - Good

Jitter - Terrible

Spikes - Terrible

Packet Loss - No Loss

• Administrators

Hey, could you provide us with screenshots from here please http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=lag_support_instructions

The internet diagnosis is a pure test of your line and those results indicate there are a few issues there. Can you click show details and paste it here please.

Hey, could you provide us with screenshots from here please http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=lag_support_instructions

The internet diagnosis is a pure test of your line and those results indicate there are a few issues there. Can you click show details and paste it here please.

Hey Fraser,

Thanks for getting back to me. I will post up some screenshots for you. Just so you know Fraser the pic with the host metrics is from a most recent PC gaming session. I haven't had the chance to jump on Xbox Live lately but if it will help I can try get in a session later and upload a pic. Please let me know if you need anything else.

post-5224-0-66486000-1459868075_thumb.jpg

post-5224-0-45388800-1459868088_thumb.jpg

post-5224-0-52228500-1459868105_thumb.jpg

post-5224-0-76384100-1459868118_thumb.jpg

It shows your still running on version 1.03.3 which is outdated if your second pic is accurate.

The current firmware is 1.03.6,if this is true you need to get with Fraser to upgrade to the current firmware.

It shows your still running on version 1.03.3 which is outdated if your second pic is accurate.

The current firmware is 1.03.6,if this is true you need to get with Fraser to upgrade to the current firmware.

I am aware that the firmware is outdated which is why I also posted in the firmware thread about getting updated, I have now updated to the latest firmware. Since updating though there has been no improvement. Thanks fuzzy :)

• Administrators

Great to see you've upgraded. Looks like the internet diagnosis has settled. I would hazard a guess that when you did the test before it was at peak time. Which would indicate the issues you would have. 

You didn't include congestion control screenshots but make sure you're using 70/70 anti-flood on reactive and using hyper traffic for your console/gaming PC. 

Great to see you've upgraded. Looks like the internet diagnosis has settled. I would hazard a guess that when you did the test before it was at peak time. Which would indicate the issues you would have. 

You didn't include congestion control screenshots but make sure you're using 70/70 anti-flood on reactive and using hyper traffic for your console/gaming PC. 

Yeah the firmware upgrade went fine. However, the issue is not resolved, it doesn't matter whether I am in peak time or not the lag spikes and jitter are ridiculous. Even running in 70/70 anti-flood etc. I still get horrible jitter and lag spikes. I've run a few trace routes and had some really ordinary results too, PingPlotter is also showing some horrible jitter. I've spoken to my ISP again and they say I don't have any line or congestion issues although I am still also following things up with them. As you can imagine Fraser it is driving me crazy, lol, I literally can't play anything at the moment and I can't quite work out what is causing it. Let me know if you want any trace route results or PingPlotter screenshots.

Are all devices connected to your R1? If not then congestion control will not work correctly and that could be causing the issue

Yeah Fraser all devices are connected to the R1. My ISP is nightmare to deal with too, I am trying to get one of their engineers to check things properly on their end just to rule that out. I am also running my modem in bridge mode so my R1 is doing everything else, anything else you can suggest I try or look into? Much appreciated!

I would start making a record of ping plotter as it will help with your ISP.I went thru the same issue's with my ISP and it's never on their end it's always your issue.

You will need a line supervisor or a tier 1 tech as the guys who come out don't have the knowledge or authority to do anything else other than pole to house.

I know it's not the answer your looking for but sounds like you have a jitter issue,maybe caused by node overload etc but I would definitely start tracking it so you have some documented proof to show them your connection is unstable.

I would start making a record of ping plotter as it will help with your ISP.I went thru the same issue's with my ISP and it's never on their end it's always your issue.

You will need a line supervisor or a tier 1 tech as the guys who come out don't have the knowledge or authority to do anything else other than pole to house.

I know it's not the answer your looking for but sounds like you have a jitter issue,maybe caused by node overload etc but I would definitely start tracking it so you have some documented proof to show them your connection is unstable.

Yeah, I've had an engineer out before and even that was a bit of a mission to get someone decent to come out. I have spoken to a few different people lately from my ISP and they are telling me its not node congestion/overload, I also can't imagine overload at 4am, lol. I have been running a few PingPlotters to some of the servers I connect to on PC as well. It's a tricky thing to work out at the moment too, I am trying to see if I can get some sort of answer from either someone at my ISP or even one of the guys here who may be able to point me in the right direction even if that means pressuring my ISP to fix something on their end. Cheers mate.

Post your ping plotter results here and we can take a look for you.

Here is one Zennon, as you can see its rather early in the morning so I don't think it would be a congestion or overload issue. If you need some more results just let me know and I shall upload them as well.

post-5224-0-19535000-1460220499_thumb.png

Some wild jitter there at a peak of 2440ms

Could you ping 8.8.8.8 also where are you based and i will find a local server to ping also.

Yeah man the jitter is nuts, lol. You want me to ping 8.8.8.8 in PingPlotter? And I am in New South Wales, Australia.

Try this one 69.174.220.23

Jitter is fine to Google 8.8.8.8 but the ping is very high 150 ms that could just be the distance from you to the server though.

Try this one 69.174.220.23

Jitter is fine to Google 8.8.8.8 but the ping is very high 150 ms that could just be the distance from you to the server though.

Cheers Zennon, even on that address I am still getting "Destination Address Unreachable". I've run a PingPlotter just on an Australian ISP website in case it helps too.

post-5224-0-32199400-1460223491_thumb.png

That last test looks fine i would suggest pinging that server again when you reach peak time in AUS so dinner time to around 10pm is usualy peak time.

That will prove if you have an ISP congestion issue or not.

That last test looks fine i would suggest pinging that server again when you reach peak time in AUS so dinner time to around 10pm is usualy peak time.

That will prove if you have an ISP congestion issue or not.

Will do mate. Here is just another PingPlotter of that server I did just before.

post-5224-0-09985800-1460228515_thumb.png

I was having these problems for months, random high ping spikes... Eventually I got my ISP to do some upgrades here and it fixed it... Bought a new modem as well which helped but it wasn't a problem in my house. I got to the point that I bought a spool of RG6 coax and ran it from the tap (box outside my house) directly to the modem and still was having ping spikes just to prove to my ISP. They gave me a credit for the money I spent to do their job lol just keep complaining about it and eventually you will be annoying enough for them to do something about it.

Are you on TPG NBN?

The only good thing about TPG is unlimited data. Everything else sucks donkey balls. They oversell infrastructure to make up for cheap subscription fees, which possibly explains your spikes. You get what you pay for with TPG - Netduma won't help, you can't polish a turd. Their support will never do anything but cover their own arse.

Change to a better ISP like iiNet, or God forbid, Telstra or Optus. As much as I dislike Telstra, their infrastructure is rock solid. I upgraded from TPG ADSL to Telstra cable and it's the best move I've made for online gaming. There's no NBN here yet, but when it lands, I won't be touching TPG again with a bargepole.

Archived