Lagging, lag spikes and no real improvement.

Are you on TPG NBN?

The only good thing about TPG is unlimited data. Everything else sucks donkey balls. They oversell infrastructure to make up for cheap subscription fees, which possibly explains your spikes. You get what you pay for with TPG - Netduma won't help, you can't polish a turd. Their support will never do anything but cover their own arse.

Change to a better ISP like iiNet, or God forbid, Telstra or Optus. As much as I dislike Telstra, their infrastructure is rock solid. I upgraded from TPG ADSL to Telstra cable and it's the best move I've made for online gaming. There's no NBN here yet, but when it lands, I won't be touching TPG again with a bargepole.

I am not with TPG mate, I am with Optus. In my area I can only get Optus cable too.

I was having these problems for months, random high ping spikes... Eventually I got my ISP to do some upgrades here and it fixed it... Bought a new modem as well which helped but it wasn't a problem in my house. I got to the point that I bought a spool of RG6 coax and ran it from the tap (box outside my house) directly to the modem and still was having ping spikes just to prove to my ISP. They gave me a credit for the money I spent to do their job lol just keep complaining about it and eventually you will be annoying enough for them to do something about it.

They have done a fair bit of work and upgrades near me too mate, I've had the coax replaced, tap on the line replaced, isolators replaced, modem replaced etc. They have done a fair bit of work but I am still having issues. Also from what I can gauge it doesn't really seem to be that connected to peak times either, my download speed will occasionally drop off a little but I mainly notice it in the lag/spiking/jitter department. I just hope that when it gets escalated with them properly that I can get some sort of straight answer, lol.

I am not with TPG mate, I am with Optus. In my area I can only get Optus cable too.

They have done a fair bit of work and upgrades near me too mate, I've had the coax replaced, tap on the line replaced, isolators replaced, modem replaced etc. They have done a fair bit of work but I am still having issues. Also from what I can gauge it doesn't really seem to be that connected to peak times either, my download speed will occasionally drop off a little but I mainly notice it in the lag/spiking/jitter department. I just hope that when it gets escalated with them properly that I can get some sort of straight answer, lol.

That's a pity - I can choose Optus or Telstra, but stuck with the big fish due to their network infrastructure and better support. Telstra cable has been solid - low ping, no spikes, no jitter, no complaints.

I'm no expert, but those spikes and jitter results point to the line as the problem and there's not a lot the Netduma can do once your connection leaves your local network, aside from Host Filtering.

Either that or something in your LAN is lagging you out. Take a look at Network Monitor and see if anything is eating your bandwidth.

Have you tried tweaking settings based on the DSL Reports Bufferbloat test at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest? Based on those results, I have my Down set to 80% and Up set to 60% for an A+ rating. Start at the recommended 70/70 for Congestion Control and tweak up and down, depending on results. The secret sauce seems to be nailing down the Up end of the equation to minimise LAN-based bufferbloat, which can cause lag spikes.

Jitter on the other hand would seemingly be a line quality issue upstream at Optus.

Sucks we never got the FTTP NBN we ultimately paid for (and more, for lesser infrastructure)...we wouldn't be having this conversation!

That's a pity - I can choose Optus or Telstra, but stuck with the big fish due to their network infrastructure and better support. Telstra cable has been solid - low ping, no spikes, no jitter, no complaints.

I'm no expert, but those spikes and jitter results point to the line as the problem and there's not a lot the Netduma can do once your connection leaves your local network, aside from Host Filtering.

Either that or something in your LAN is lagging you out. Take a look at Network Monitor and see if anything is eating your bandwidth.

Have you tried tweaking settings based on the DSL Reports Bufferbloat test at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest? Based on those results, I have my Down set to 80% and Up set to 60% for an A+ rating. Start at the recommended 70/70 for Congestion Control and tweak up and down, depending on results. The secret sauce seems to be nailing down the Up end of the equation to minimise LAN-based bufferbloat, which can cause lag spikes.

Jitter on the other hand would seemingly be a line quality issue upstream at Optus.

Sucks we never got the FTTP NBN we ultimately paid for (and more, for lesser infrastructure)...we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Trying to get them to admit its a line issue or something on their end is a big task, lol. I am still waiting for their onshore team to actually ring me too. I have run the dslreports speed test but I can't get bufferbloat of A+, only A. The internet in this country is a joke, if I had the option of going with Telstra I would because it does by in large seem to be the lesser of two evils. But in regard to my issue I am sure part of it related to my ISP, the tough part is actually getting them to do something about it and actually resolve it. What I am also trying to do is make sure my R1 is setup optimally so they can't push it back onto me and my setup if you get what I mean.

Archived