1.03.6g Extremely buggy/broken on my R1

I realize that not everyone is experiencing this issue, so please don't waste my time or yours by telling me there isn't an issue. I have proof.

Every update release I have had issues with my R1 and every time I am told that the issues will be fixed next patch. I am pretty savvy when it comes to trouble shooting and setting things up, but I still expect people to respond with "user error" remarks.

Netgear CM500 - Netduma R1

Anyway so lets cut to the chase. After updating from .5 to .6 I have many issues with the R1. The update was followed by the instructions provided word for word. There was no mistake. First I discovered that my internet connection was very unstable most of the time. I would have to restart my router every day just to get it to work. I can completely disconnect my router and plug directly into my modem with zero issues. I have built my network myself. I have created all of my cables and wiring in my apartment. I have tested them all with and without the R1.

All of my settings on every option has been checked, double checked, triple checked, etc. I have rebooted my modem & R1 numerous times after changing every setting.

I pay for 50/DL - 5/UL

When I speed test on default settings on my modem and R1 or Directly to my modem I show upwards of 60/DL - 8/UL

The moment I change any setting related to Download/Upload Cap or Device Prioritization then my speeds are never even close.

If I only change my download cap to 99% (It doesn't matter what I set my bandwidth to. I can set it to 50/75/99) then my speeds are reduced by 50%+ instantly

If I setup my PS4 in hyper Traffic it does nothing to improve my gaming experience. Any setting I used I get bad latency. I also see an error when I test my internet connection on the PS4.

"The router does not support IP Fragmentation" I even changed my MTU to 1492 as was suggested by researching the issue.

I have tested hundreds of configurations on download/upload speeds. changing algorithm preemptive/reactive. The only thing that fixes my issues is completely removing the R1 and connecting directly to my modem.

post-4016-0-54499000-1455491742_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rolled mine back to .5 for now until I someone gets back to me on what may have or is the problem. I know its not an answer but I am gaming happily again.

yah I am thinking about doing the same.

The CM500 is apparently incompatible with the Netduma due to their (Netgear's) faulty implementation of EEE. You won't be able to see this thread as it is in a protected forum, but for anyone who can see it, Iain posted this here.

well that is pretty messed up we can't see the forum. as the reason I purchased the modem was because it was recommended to me by someone on this forum.

I need to know which modem from this link is the best fastest most compatible please. TY

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000

I realize that not everyone is experiencing this issue, so please don't waste my time or yours by telling me there isn't an issue. I have proof.

Every update release I have had issues with my R1 and every time I am told that the issues will be fixed next patch. I am pretty savvy when it comes to trouble shooting and setting things up, but I still expect people to respond with "user error" remarks.

Anyway so lets cut to the chase. After updating from .5 to .6 I have many issues with the R1. The update was followed by the instructions provided word for word. There was no mistake. First I discovered that my internet connection was very unstable most of the time. I would have to restart my router every day just to get it to work. I can completely disconnect my router and plug directly into my modem with zero issues. I have built my network myself. I have created all of my cables and wiring in my apartment. I have tested them all with and without the R1.

All of my settings on every option has been checked, double checked, triple checked, etc. I have rebooted my modem & R1 numerous times after changing every setting.

I pay for 50/DL - 5/UL

When I speed test on default settings on my modem and R1 or Directly to my modem I show upwards of 60/DL - 8/UL

The moment I change any setting related to Download/Upload Cap or Device Prioritization then my speeds are never even close.

If I only change my download cap to 99% (It doesn't matter what I set my bandwidth to. I can set it to 50/75/99) then my speeds are reduced by 50%+ instantly

If I setup my PS4 in hyper Traffic it does nothing to improve my gaming experience. Any setting I used I get bad latency. I also see an error when I test my internet connection on the PS4.

"The router does not support IP Fragmentation" I even changed my MTU to 1492 as was suggested by researching the issue.

I have tested hundreds of configurations on download/upload speeds. changing algorithm preemptive/reactive. The only thing that fixes my issues is completely removing the R1 and connecting directly to my modem.

Same problems here (PS4). i rolled it back to .5 but still get problems with IP fragmentation. what is going on? NETDUMA PLEASE HELP

The CM500 is apparently incompatible with the Netduma due to their (Netgear's) faulty implementation of EEE. You won't be able to see this thread as it is in a protected forum, but for anyone who can see it, Iain posted this here.

It would be nice if u can copy paste it for us here so we can see it. Thanks 

• Netduma Staff

I've screen shotted the post - you can see it here (it talks specifically about torrenting but the problem will occur with heavy or prolonged internet usage).

If you do an MTU test from your PC, what does it say the max MTU is?

@xolhid I can't say for sure as I don't use them but others have said the Zoom modems are good.

sameboat, i had massive problems over the weekend since upgrading from previous firmware to current, both ps4's had IP packet fragmented issues, getting kicked etc.  i disabled my geo filters on all devices and it now seems to work but .5 worked and .6 lead to party drop outs, disconnects etc with no changes by me other then moving to .6

I pay for 50/DL - 5/UL

I've used both the SB6183 and CM500 and they both gave me problems with the R1.

They use the same chipset which has Energy Efficient Ethernet.

The Dev's tried unsuccessfully to find a solution for the EEE bug.

I have since switched to the SB6141 and haven't had any issues. 

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/8683-spotty-and-inconsistent-speeds-with-all-possibl-setups-involving-netduma/?hl=sb6183&do=findComment&comment=64274

For the IP Fragmentation issue, I would assume your MTU value is set wrong. 

Set all MTU values for auto (routers, console, pcs, etc.) and then reset your entire network including modem. 

OK so on the ip fragmentation (packet loss)  all mine were set to 1500mtu but still in auto prior to .6 and worked, it was the move to .6 where that became an issue, not hijacking as i'm experiencing similar issues.  

xolid can you not turn off eco mode???  my billion also has energy saving Ethernet but i can login in and shut down those eco options in my config??  also if they port is active the router shouldn't be going into power save mode anyway so i doubt that's a real issue. 

messing with MTU is not a great place to start 1500 is what they come set at i most cases, my sky hub was set at 1500 by sky and never had any issues until the duma got involved.

like i said i actually solved my issues by shutting down all the geo filters i had active so for the moment i'm not using those features, since shutting down my geo filters the setup now seems stable although one ps4 is still not getting UPNP requests processed.  try shutting down your geo filters and re connect your consoles etc

Crossy, on 15 Feb 2016 - 09:37 AM, said:

I've screen shotted the post - you can see it here (it talks specifically about torrenting but the problem will occur with heavy or prolonged internet usage).

If you do an MTU test from your PC, what does it say the max MTU is?

@xolhid I can't say for sure as I don't use them but others have said the Zoom modems are good.

thanks for the tip. I will do some research on that. I wish the devs would post a list of fully compatible modems. Its frustrating as I have already gone through 2 and I'm about to pay for a 3rd.

Netduma Fraser, on 15 Feb 2016 - 1:04 PM, said:

For your speed issue, turn on turbo mode, deep packet off then see if your speeds drop when lowering anti-flood.

For MTU, it works like any other router. You can set it in the interface or put it in the PS4.

I have tried this already with no success. I tried it again tonight. Any change to anti-flood, even by 1% and I lose at least 30% of my bandwidth instantly. I did notice it is only effecting download speeds and not upload.

FQs19, on 15 Feb 2016 - 1:09 PM, said:

I've used both the SB6183 and CM500 and they both gave me problems with the R1.

They use the same chipset which has Energy Efficient Ethernet.

The Dev's tried unsuccessfully to find a solution for the EEE bug.

I have since switched to the SB6141 and haven't had any issues.

http://forum.netduma...6183?do=findComment&comment=64274

For the IP Fragmentation issue, I would assume your MTU value is set wrong.

Set all MTU values for auto (routers, console, pcs, etc.) and then reset your entire network including modem.

I already tried a surfboard. I won't trust another one so I think I am going to check out the zoom modem next.

I made no changes to my MTU prior to the .6 update. I only started testing different things to fix the 1 of many issues I have had with no luck whatsoever. I just reverted back to auto on everything the way it was before.

belly120, on 15 Feb 2016 - 1:26 PM, said:

OK so on the ip fragmentation (packet loss)  all mine were set to 1500mtu but still in auto prior to .6 and worked, it was the move to .6 where that became an issue, not hijacking as i'm experiencing similar issues. 

xolid can you not turn off eco mode???  my billion also has energy saving Ethernet but i can login in and shut down those eco options in my config??  also if they port is active the router shouldn't be going into power save mode anyway so i doubt that's a real issue.

messing with MTU is not a great place to start 1500 is what they come set at i most cases, my sky hub was set at 1500 by sky and never had any issues until the duma got involved.

like i said i actually solved my issues by shutting down all the geo filters i had active so for the moment i'm not using those features, since shutting down my geo filters the setup now seems stable although one ps4 is still not getting UPNP requests processed.  try shutting down your geo filters and re connect your consoles etc

CM500 has no options in the UI. All I can really do is reset/reboot and look at the connection info. There is no options especially for EEE. :( 

• Administrators

I have tried this already with no success. I tried it again tonight. Any change to anti-flood, even by 1% and I lose at least 30% of my bandwidth instantly. I did notice it is only effecting download speeds and not upload.

Sorry I forgot to mention use reactive algorithm as well.

Interesting points on the CM500. I have the CM400 --> Duma and I my internet drops at least once per day and I have to do a hard reboot on my modem. Charter has come out and done everything they can to relieve the issue, even replacing the drop. But to no avail.

Interesting that it could be the incompatibility between the Duma and CM500. Does anyone have any other thoughts or experiences with the CM400? Should I be changing out my modem? 

On the point of MTU and packet fragmentation this may be a coincidence (unless reverting back to .5 prooves otherwise). I know of several PS4 owners who have recently experienced that message that do not own Netdumas. I found a 12 page thread on a BT forum where BT engineers concluded after extensive investigation in respect to users with HomeHub 5's, that Sony had recently changed something at their end, perhaps related to recent hacks and outages. We know last Christmas when they had a major outage many users got back online by setting their MTU to 1472. Food for thought?

Sorry I forgot to mention use reactive algorithm as well.

I have tried both preemptive and reactive, but mainly use reactive nearly all of the time as it seems more stable for me.

Big news. As I was doing research to find out what modem I will buy next I have decided not to buy one. One thing you guys at Netduma neglected to do when saying certain modems like the sb6183 or the cm500 have issues because of EEE. You forgot to check the issue with service providers. Firmware updates are created by the manufacturers of the hardware, however they forward that firmware to the ISP and the ISP will adjust and implement the firmware to work with their infrastructure.

I just got off the phone with my ISP Cox. I talked with a tier 2 tech and he asked everyone in his office and higher up about this issue.

Cox has no EEE or IEEE or Green ethernet built into any of its modem firmware. including the SB6183 or CM500. He told me Cox will not implement it as its the job for the router.

I am tired of throwing money at new modems every time you guys tell me my modem isn't compatible with the R1. Especially since there is no sticky for approved / non-approved modems anywhere on your forums or website. That is very neglectful. 

Agreed,I also have friends that received the same message and don't own a duma.I think it's more of a PS4 thing than a duma thing.

Well that is good to hear, but there is 1 minor issue with that. There have been no new PS4 firmware updates since the New .6 Netduma Firmware update. I did not see this message or error the entire Time I was on the .5 update. An "Error" message is the least of my concerns anyway. Since .6 I have had dropouts, bad connections. elevated pings. Major bandwidth reduction. All of these issues are unacceptable and need to be fixed. 

Cox says my modem is fine and does not have what Netduma claims is the issue.

Archived