I don't even know where to start...

Comcast is going to make me commit suicide. I'm constantly getting disconnected from my Internet and now I'm getting 'Can't Use Chat. This might be due to Nat Type limitations.' The idiot from Comcast tells me that he is monitoring my modem but there is no off activity in the modem so he's so quick to blame my equipment because they can't troubleshoot the Netduma. I use their garbage ass modem. I've constantly reset my modem and Netduma and it's not that my Internet doesn't work...it's almost as if my Internet is lapsing. I'll be streaming on Hulu and it will say that there was problem streaming and I'll be forced to refresh the page. Same thing happens even if I'm just crusing the Internet. I'll be watching a HD video/stream and all of sudden it becomes all choppy as if the Internet is not receiving the information. Other times it will say 'Can't connect to Internet' at all and I'll have to sit here and wait until I'm able to refresh it. Even sometimes it won't come back for several minutes or has even forced me to hard reset it to bring it back up. I ran Windows Troubleshooter and I've gotten both 'The Default Gateway isn't available' or 'One or More Network Protocols are missing on this computer' I just cleared my Reset Log through CMD prompt but ever since I wiped those settings I can't use chat on PS4. I'm more concerned with why my Internet is constantly lapsing the way that it is. That's the best way I can describe. I don't know if I have to port forward my PS4 or what the deal is. I'm an aspiring avid livestreamer and competitive gamer, but my stream will start freaking out because of whatever my Internet is doing. Can anyone help? Please before I go insane. I have 150 down 20 up and I should be able to stream no problem with this but it's damn near impossible. As far as the settings go for competitive gaming they are all set correctly and IvP6 is all disabled like it should be. I'm seriously down to trying DMZ, static IPs, but I'm not sure how to do that correctly. I have no idea what to do and I'm getting so beyond frustrated.

If you can, I would try to get a 3rd party router that'll support how your Comcast router/modem connects to the internet. Cable, Ethernet, Fiber. However...

If you are able to at least get to the router/modem admin page for the Comcast router/modem, try to enable DMZ. The IP you'll use for DMZ won't be the ip the netduma is default on, like 192.168.88.1. You need to check your Comcast router DHCP lease options and look for the one that specifically is the Netduma and set that as your DMZ ip.

Other than that, I always recommend trying to use a 3rd party router/modem for your internet, instead of trying to use the typical router/modems we get from ISPs as they can be good quality but half of the time, poorly designed. Keep pushing Comcast till you get what you expected.

If the ISP modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems: Link>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/fixing_double_nat.htmand http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm If the modem can't be bridged then see if the modem has a DMZ option and input the IP address the router gets from the modem and put that into the modems DMZ. Disable any ISP modem WiFi and filters like firewalls and such. 

Prefered connection method with a ISP stand alone modem:
ISP modem>R1router<>connected devices.

Connection method with a ISP modem with built in router that can be bridged:
ISP modem(bridged)>R1 router<>connected devices.

Connection method with a ISP modem with built in router that can't be bridged:
ISP modem(DMZ)>R1s WAN ip address placed in ISP modems DMZ<>connected devices to WRT router.

I recommend that you have your ISP check the cabling going to the ISP modem, check signal levels going to the ISP modem. For cable Internet, RG-6 coaxial cable is needed, not RG-59. Check for t.v. line splitters and remove them as they can introduce noise on the line and lower the signal going to the ISP modem. Connecting to the ISP modem could result in a false positive as the signal to the modem could be just enough to that point then adding on a router, could see problems. Ensure modem is working well too. Bad modems are out there as well. The router operation is dependent upon getting good data flow from the ISP modem and the modem is dependent upon getting good signal from the ISP Service.

Also you can BYOM and buy your own modem. I recommend Motorola SB 6 series stand alone modems. SB 6121, 6141 or 6180. I hear that 6183s may have issue with the R1 router. 

I have had so many different techs out at my house and they all run their stupid meter tests and they tell me that all the levels are good to go. I actually had my own modem (SB6183) and I was still having issues it would kill my signal completely. I went back to their modem after they replaced it for the 5th time or something like that. I've always run the modem in Bridge mode to eliminate a communication conflict. Last time they came out they replaced the plate on the wall. No matter what I have tried I have not been able to eliminate the lapses/disconnects in my signal. Like I said I'll start streaming and it will completely fall apart or I'll be streaming on Hulu and it will say 'There was a problem streaming this content' and I will be forced to refresh the page...

I have had so many different techs out at my house and they all run their stupid meter tests and they tell me that all the levels are good to go. I actually had my own modem (SB6183) and I was still having issues it would kill my signal completely. I went back to their modem after they replaced it for the 5th time or something like that. I've always run the modem in Bridge mode to eliminate a communication conflict. Last time they came out they replaced the plate on the wall. No matter what I have tried I have not been able to eliminate the lapses/disconnects in my signal. Like I said I'll start streaming and it will completely fall apart or I'll be streaming on Hulu and it will say 'There was a problem streaming this content' and I will be forced to refresh the page...

Test streaming and gaming with the R1 disconnected. Connect directly into the ISP modem and test. You'll need to test this when everyone else has gone to bed or not need use of the internet. If you continue to see issues then It's the ISP or the SB 6183. There are issues surrounding this model modem. 

The modem that I have from them right now is the XB3...The SB6183 is back in the box. I'll try the stream test like you said. You did mention the cabling but I don't think that's it because like I said it's just momentary (sometimes worse) lapses in the connection. I've run the Windows troubleshooter and it kicks back and it has said both "The Default Gateway Cannot Be Found" or "One or More Network Protocols Are Missing on This Computer." I mean I'm not a network genius but if the default gateway cannot be found then isn't that the modem not receiving the information or the signal? But Comcast tells me that there isn't any off activity in the modem. The only thing he sees is the hard reset initiated by me trying to fix the issue. I tried to explain to him that the modem lights do not go off so he won't see the disconnect, but the lapse in the signal kicks me offline momentarily resulting in choppy streams, video lag, refreshing of pages, etc. I looked up the network protocol issue and found a CMD fix for that so hopefully that is fixed. I'm just trying to figure out why it's happening. 

Still need to address the PS4 party chat NAT type limiations. Cannot talk in party with some people but can with others. We all have NAT 2 on PS4, and we can't figure it out at all.

After testing with the ISP modem alone, re connect the R1 and then set the congestion sliders to 100% and use reactive mode. Disable Geo Filter and go in and see if you can chat with others. 

email [email protected] that is there ceo and write a letter not a cursing blab about frustration, not saying you would but just incase. Someone will get back to you and you should have someone actually listen to what you are saying. I have had about 10 modems in the last few years. Its always something else with them but push your point. 

Cisco DPC3939. Never heard good things about that modem.

Few questions.

Do you have telephone through Comcast? If so, do you have a dialtone when your connection goes down?

Next, in the process of swapping have they offered the Arris TG1682G? If not, ask for it.

If you don't use the telephony portion, look into a 6190

Also open SNR and watch that for spikes/drops.

I give up for right now. I was connected to the R1. I disconnected the Netduma and plugged my PS4, PC, Lights, and another PC to the back of the modem and reset it again. Absolutely no luck. I am now constantly getting missing network protocols. Modem is still in bridge mode at this second. Yes I have their phone service. It's the only reason I use their garbage modem in the first place. Thanks for the reference of the email as I just called them again and exploded on them again. I have ANOTHER tech coming out to my house. ..oh goodie. At this point idc if they have to reinstall the entire system in my house. My network currently says there's no internet connection but my phone has a dial tone. I'm not sure if I've been through the Arris TG1682G yet since I've replaced the modem about 7 times already.

What is this opening SNR you are talking about?

After him being here again he replaced the interior wire in my house because there was massive amounts of random kinks in it from the previous installation. He also fed the wire through my wall to prevent any kinks like that again. He factory reset the modem, but didn't replace it. I also factory reset the Netduma after reconnecting it (after he left). Had a good conversation with him. But now the Netduma isn't letting my wireless devices connect to it. All I get back is "Authentication Error Occured." Retried the password over and over again and same result. 

After him being here again he replaced the interior wire in my house because there was massive amounts of random kinks in it from the previous installation. He also fed the wire through my wall to prevent any kinks like that again. He factory reset the modem, but didn't replace it. I also factory reset the Netduma after reconnecting it (after he left). Had a good conversation with him. But now the Netduma isn't letting my wireless devices connect to it. All I get back is "Authentication Error Occured." Retried the password over and over again and same result. 

If you factory reset, then your password has most likely changed to 'netdumar1'.  You can change this in the security settings tab.

Nvm about the Authentication Error. Was able to figure that out. Still trying to identify one of these devices coming up on my network. But so far the drops haven't happened since he was here this morning. Hopefully it stays that way. But I was able to show him what ends up happening as I was watching HD videos / Hulu so I think it helped to identify the consistency issue I was having. But like I said here's to hoping.

I'm dropping Hardwired connections is the problem. The lapses have continued to happen even after rerouting the cable to eliminate the kinks, changed the ethernet cable running from the modem to the Duma, and made sure everything else was tight and secure. Going to be disconnecting the Netduma once again to try and isolate if it is in the Netduma or in their modem.

Archived