The Division

EffinFancy

I am approaching this with extreme caution because of Destiny, and the fact UBISoft has gone overboard on the hype train... as to be expected near launch... Considering the idea of a modern-day MMO took this long to create. Especially, for consoles.

Like many, I was pumped for the game after the E3 2013 reveal, but since then everything I am reading and watching online about the game just seems to be "been there, done that", even if Destiny did it badly at the start. I don't even care about graphics (hence, why I am going to buy it console vs. PC), but the game play better be pretty damn good to keep me (and thousands of others) playing since Destiny disappointed so many people out of the gate and continues to do so even with the recent revamp of the entire game.

I played in the last alpha and I was hooked.  The gameplay vids don't make it look fun, but I had a great time solo'ing around NYC. Perhaps try the beta and see if it's up your alley?  Amazon is providing keys if you pre-order.  I have read that folks are saying it's what Destiny should've been.  I've never played Destiny so I can't say whether or not it's accurate.   

Played the Alpha. Pre ordered on PS4 but also have a PC Beta code I'll be trying out. I'm interested because of its solo allowance. I play Destiny quite a bit so not looking to jump gaming communities, but who knows if the game is amazing.

I'm on the fence with this one.

In all honesty, it looks a little bit boring from what I've seen.

Plus, Ubisoft's track record of next gen games haven't exactly been great. The final game builds look nothing like their E3 trailers and they're usually released full of bugs and glitches... I'm looking at you Watch Dogs and Assassins Creed Unity.

Next gen gaming has taught me one thing - never pre order a game.

Those with the beta, how're you liking it?  I'm extremely enjoying the game and playing in The Dark Zone.  

i had an hour with it on ps4 and just from that i quite like it! Graphics obviously wasn't as good as what e3 made them look in the promo trailer but i think we have all learned to overlook those now since watchdogs lol.

I like the fact that the enemies can take a little more damage than the norm as well as the recoil on the weapons, for me it adds a little realism. I already have a back catalogue of games to work through but this may deffo be on my radar! Did anyone try playing it in a party? May increase the fun factor a little more!

• 1 month later...

Played both closed and open beta on PS4 and i was hooked. Certainly a candidate to take the torch from Destiny, a game i have invested an embarrassing amount of time into not to mention money (DLC's, head set and, of course, my DumaR1). Only the full game will tell the real story in regards to longevity but i am more than willing to make the investment after experiencing the beta and if it keeps me busy for half the time Destiny did it will be money well spent. 

I keep hearing more and more about this game and I keep seeing the word "solo".  

That is how I play about 90% of the time, so this is starting to really peak my interest.

Without any sales, or linking me to a video (especially from Diptor), can someone give me a run down of the game play?  Is it like Skyrim with objectives and guns?  Or is it like S-n-D at objective points that you keep doing over and over again until you lock down a block of NY, then a borough, then?

• 2 weeks later...

That is how I play about 90% of the time, so this is starting to really peak my interest.

Without any sales, or linking me to a video (especially from Diptor), can someone give me a run down of the game play?  Is it like Skyrim with objectives and guns?  Or is it like S-n-D at objective points that you keep doing over and over again until you lock down a block of NY, then a borough, then?

Not sure if you've answered your question yet, but you can play the game solo all the way through if you want. You are not required to play the game with others, although you can. There is also matchmaking for missions etc if you want to play with someone or need help.

However, we do not currently know how the end game content is going to work as it hasn't been released yet, and we do not know if matchmaking will be enabled or not.

It's an action adventure RPG set in NYC.  Like someone mentioned before, we don't know what the end game is, but it's a heck of a lot of fun. Once you enter the dark zone, it adds an additional layer to the game that sucks you in.  If you're into loot and the action adv. rpg elements -- you can't go wrong with this game.  

Feels to me like a hybrid of Last of Us (tone, theme, and setting), Destiny (CooP, PvP, and PvE integrated dynamics), and Mass Effect (Weapon and Skill tree mechanics)

Works solo if you like the solitude and challenge, loads of fun as a squad where the options and strategies for style of play open up significantly

Although you can play the game solo... It's designed primarily as a CO-OP experience with friends.

I can't say I blame them (developers) because most CO-OP / Forced Online experiences are just that: Forced... Whereas Division makes sense where they would needs squads of JTF agents to take back and entire city and surrounding buroughs.

Archived