NETDUMA arrived today, NEED HELP BAD!

I'm in UK, a Virgin Media customer, I've had average experiences with Virgin and Black Ops 3 was playable, but not perfect, I have 70 down and 5 up, and I heard great things about the Netduma making the quality of games better.

I've installed it today, upgraded to the latest firmware 1.03.5 and it has killed my internet. KILLED IT. I can barely load websites, I can't connect to any servers on CoD except an 80 ping one in what appears to be Norway? I tried doing everything that was stated in the guides relating to the 1.03.5 issues and still nothing. I've tried to put everything back to default settings. no throttling, 100% down/up usage, only have my PC and PS4 connected currently, no wireless devices, I am so confused and frustrated that I can't fix this. I can't even have it perform at my old average setup, it's like being on a 56k modem right now... SO FURIOUS!

Please help me somebody, ANYBODY!

Edit: Also to point out, when it arrived it seemed to assume that I was connecting from Australia, I had to move my location back to UK. Does this matter in terms of my issues?

I have just tried some matches online and my connection was dying during matches which has never happened to me before unless it was server-side and everybody DC's, but I was getting lag spikes which just froze me for around 5-10 seconds while this message kept popping up on my PC screen. "Something went wrong when trying to ping"

I tried doing reset distribution around 5 times now. It seems to have made no difference. Also the ping issue guide, I have nothing enabled in my VPN settings, I have disabled my PC firewalls and ad-block too. It has made gaming on my PS4 impossible in its current state.

• Netduma Staff

I tried doing reset distribution around 5 times now. It seems to have made no difference. Also the ping issue guide, I have nothing enabled in my VPN settings, I have disabled my PC firewalls and ad-block too. It has made gaming on my PS4 impossible in its current state.

If you connect directly to the Virgin Hub do you still have the slow speed problems?

No, it works perfectly through Virgin, or at least in comparison. I didn't notice an issue until the latest firmware update, but the problem is I didn't test a game, I just noticed that my web browser and such was working okay. I literally can't join one match of CoD, I tried another game and had the Connection Interrupted issue again.

• Netduma Staff

No, it works perfectly through Virgin, or at least in comparison. I didn't notice an issue until the latest firmware update, but the problem is I didn't test a game, I just noticed that my web browser and such was working okay. I literally can't join one match of CoD, I tried another game and had the Connection Interrupted issue again.

What happens if you disable the GeoFilter :)

This isn't really what I paid for though. I was expecting to be able to filter ping and location as well as restrict download and upload, but all I have at the minute is an inferior quality connection to what I had before and features that do not work.

I am entirely confident it can be fixed though, but I am not very smart when it comes to the technical sides of PC's and networking so I can't figure out how to fix this on my own.

I'm in UK, a Virgin Media customer, I've had average experiences with Virgin and Black Ops 3 was playable, but not perfect, I have 70 down and 5 up, and I heard great things about the Netduma making the quality of games better.

I've installed it today, upgraded to the latest firmware 1.03.5 and it has killed my internet. KILLED IT. I can barely load websites, I can't connect to any servers on CoD except an 80 ping one in what appears to be Norway? I tried doing everything that was stated in the guides relating to the 1.03.5 issues and still nothing. I've tried to put everything back to default settings. no throttling, 100% down/up usage, only have my PC and PS4 connected currently, no wireless devices, I am so confused and frustrated that I can't fix this. I can't even have it perform at my old average setup, it's like being on a 56k modem right now... SO FURIOUS!

Please help me somebody, ANYBODY!

Edit: Also to point out, when it arrived it seemed to assume that I was connecting from Australia, I had to move my location back to UK. Does this matter in terms of my issues?

Can you post screenshots of your settings?

• Netduma Staff

It was more stable for sure, I didn't get the error message on PC, and I didn't get the connection interrupted on PS4, but it still wasn't playing very stable. Ping was fluctuating between 34-50-80 which I'm not really used to seeing.

Is your VirginHub in modem mode?

If you need any more information let me know specifically because I'm not very good at pinpointing the issues. Everything else should be factory default though, I input my upload and download during the tutorial (it's only at 55 up, 3 down), and also turned off IPv6 on the WAN and LAN as instructed.

I have had Geo-Filter disabled ever since the issues and it has been working relatively stable, I had a couple of hours on BO3, but not as good as I'd hoped for, obviously need to figure my fine tuning but Geo-Filter was just killing it and not finding me matches, even when I extended over 2,000km and increased ping assist.

• Administrators

If you need any more information let me know specifically because I'm not very good at pinpointing the issues. Everything else should be factory default though, I input my upload and download during the tutorial (it's only at 55 up, 3 down), and also turned off IPv6 on the WAN and LAN as instructed.

I have had Geo-Filter disabled ever since the issues and it has been working relatively stable, I had a couple of hours on BO3, but not as good as I'd hoped for, obviously need to figure my fine tuning but Geo-Filter was just killing it and not finding me matches, even when I extended over 2,000km and increased ping assist.

If you have 70 and 5 as you said in your original post disable deep packet processing and choose the reactive algorithm in congestion control. Are these issues wifi related or is this wired as well?

Can you also check this guide as it may help if you're not finding games.

If you have 70 and 5 as you said in your original post disable deep packet processing and choose the reactive algorithm in congestion control. Are these issues wifi related or is this wired as well?

Can you also check this guide as it may help if you're not finding games.

My provider is supposed to be 70 and 5 but every speed test I've ever done never shows higher than 55 and 3, so I set it as that figuring that. I use wired always for gaming. Should I still disable deep packet processing?

I have done everything that the guide states, the only thing I notice is that most links refer to 1.03.4, but I'm on 1.03.5. Should I revert back or stay on the latest?

• Administrators

My provider is supposed to be 70 and 5 but every speed test I've ever done never shows higher than 55 and 3, so I set it as that figuring that. I use wired always for gaming. Should I still disable deep packet processing?

I have done everything that the guide states, the only thing I notice is that most links refer to 1.03.4, but I'm on 1.03.5. Should I revert back or stay on the latest?

Ahh I see. I would yes. I don't think you will really need it to be enabled. You can also try reactive as well as some people prefer that algorithm even if they don't have plus 60 speeds. 

Stay on the latest, we need to update them to specify the latest version. 

Can you try a different ethernet cable between the R1 and PC. 

I wouldn't revert back to the previous version,stay on 1.03.5m.

• 2 weeks later...

( hope Daemonshade reads this )

I'm with Virgin Media but never heard of a 70-5 package, is this a dsl speed or is it some sort of adsl or fttc type ? (virgin use both in remote area's I read... somewhere)

I can relate to the ping error as I'm getting it still... but...

Could you setup a BQM (broadband quality metre) at thinkbroadband.com, just a simple sign-up username & password then...  Look at the orange tabs left side of page & click:  

Tools> Broadband Quality / Ping Monitor then select 'Create a new monitor'.

Your wan ip will be detected auto then just give it a random name, click on a radio button to select what type of connection you use and then include your postcode.

Ignore 'Help us plot local / regional / ISP trends' box and click 'Create Monitor' at the bottom of page.

Let the monitor gather at least 12 hours of data (I'd wait 24hrs), I'm advising you do this as quite a few areas in Virgins network are suffering MAJOR lag, spikes and jitter but Virgin are telling customers its 'high utilisation' which can't be true as it happens all day & night.

I myself was affected but suddenly at 4:30am last Thursday, while actually just about to post another reply on their forum as I had no replies, the modem went down for about 3-5 mins. When it came back online the Network Logs page said I had 66 T3 timeouts on Upstream channel 1 and one T3 on Up channel 2.

I went to my monitor and my ping and jitter had stabilized to how it was before the problem began. If you look at my monitor below you'll see it is a more acceptable ping BUT I'm still getting the 'high utilisation' problem between approx 4pm til Midnight (the huge spikes)

You may also need to sign into your account at virginmedia.com and navigate to Apps then Settings and disable thier Shield software and Parental Setting, this is enabled by default and causes some hops in the network to return the wrong ip address of that server.

This is happening because the parental setting is masking the servers as not to direct kids to certain malicious sites but virgin are doing this in the wrong manner according to a very knowledgeable person on their forum.

***just a quick update***

I mentioned above I was getting ping errors, the 'something went wrong when trying to ping' notice. I don't know if its Virgin Media dns problems or not but I changed them to the google dns (8.8.8.8 ,  8.8.4.4) in the Duma settings and its working properly now even with firewall & antivirus enabled.

I use Ghostery on Firefox for adblock & have the duma ip whitelisted

As we installed the 1.03.5 I forgot to input these back in, just a little advice for the OP as I'm sure most users already apply this method.

Archived