Trace shows something weird

Hello,

For some reason, the past few nights the games have been laggy when partied up.  All of the people i party with are in my area which is NYC.  I put the radius to about 1000 km and 40 ping.  I also put it on Strict.  For some reason it lags and alot of people are 1 and 2 baring.  So i did a trace to the host, and the trace shows that it goes outside of the geo filter into the middle of the united states, and back to the host in my area which is very strance and i belive is causing us lag.  Am i doing something wrong?  Also, I've noticed my phone doesn't always connect to webpages and applications when I use the router for wifi.  Please help

post-6110-0-41896000-1452478849_thumb.jpg

• Netduma Staff

This is a quote from Iain in a post he made about it:

Ignore the trace button on the router. It doesn't work well because routers in the middle of the Internet often swap IP addresses. Therefore the geographic location of core rotuers is often incorrect.

Having a low ping to the host is what matters :)

Geo-Locating an IP address is not 100% accurate. I don't know what database the Netduma team is using to map IPs to their locations, but I will say it again - When something shows up in Kansas, odds are 99% of the time they are NOT located in Kansas. This means the IP can not me found in the database, and for some odd reason IP mapping defaults to Kansas as the location.

For example, 9/10 times when I'm on AT&T's LTE on my phone and I open the speedtest.net app - it finds my IP and thinks I'm in Kansas so it shows me the Wichita server to test to. I am in NJ so clearly I'm not in Kansas lol

Another example is when I'm playing with a friend who lives in Michigan. His circle shows up in Kansas, but I've known him for years and that's not where he lives. Now if he disconnects his Nighthawk router and reboots his modem - his IP changes and his location goes back to Michigan.

This can be looked up and there are countless articles about geo-location accuracy, and forum posts of people saying the same things on their ISP forums.

Basically if you live on the east coast and you're connect to a server that shows up in Seattle, but you have 15ms ping - it's located in the wrong place. There is no way it's physically possible to ping 15ms across the entire country. The speed of light can't be made faster lol

This is a quote from Iain in a post he made about it:

Having a low ping to the host is what matters :)

Yeah but the thing is i've been getting put in laggy lobbys.  I've been lagging myself, and a bunch of people have been red baring and 2 and 3 baring.  I don't know why that is.

Geo-Locating an IP address is not 100% accurate. I don't know what database the Netduma team is using to map IPs to their locations, but I will say it again - When something shows up in Kansas, odds are 99% of the time they are NOT located in Kansas. This means the IP can not me found in the database, and for some odd reason IP mapping defaults to Kansas as the location.

That's why ping assist is so nice and it would be just as good for most applications if ping assist was the only thing being used.

As said above I wouldn't pay any attention to the trace route. It's all about the ping. What is your average ping to the game? Could you provide the information from here please

Ok will do Fraser.  Thank you.. Yeah it seemed to be putting me in some very laggy lobbies for some reason the past 2 days.  i was actually skipping all over the screen myself in a few.  Tonight i'll get you this info.

As said above I wouldn't pay any attention to the trace route. It's all about the ping. What is your average ping to the game? Could you provide the information from here please

Hi Fraser.  I just got home from work and went in 2 different lobbies, and it's showing 400 ms ping for me and stuttering all over.  Something is def wrong.  i have the congestion both at 70, about 1000 km radios for the geo filter which is enabled, and 50 ms ping.  I have no idea why it's doing this now.

Archived