How to diagnose ISP ping issues

iAmMoDBoX

So this test will ping your IP from outside servers and detect fluctuations in your ping as well as packet loss and graph it for you over time... I've used it to present Comcast with evidence of the extreme ping spikes and packet loss I was having over months and months time and they actually worked on the problem and fixed it. It's a pretty valuable tool to help pin-point where you are having problems.

https://www.dslreports.com/smokeping

https://gyazo.com/3970a5a788ca3aad1e35232f40599586

so would this be good or bad? I'm not sure how to read this

So this test will ping your IP from outside servers and detect fluctuations in your ping as well as packet loss and graph it for you over time... I've used it to present Comcast with evidence of the extreme ping spikes and packet loss I was having over months and months time and they actually worked on the problem and fixed it. It's a pretty valuable tool to help pin-point where you are having problems.

https://www.dslreports.com/smokeping

It shows base ping 23 spiking to 38.

so with my daughter watching netflix, wife playing candy whatever and me gaming its pretty good ? though I usually game when they are asleep or not home.

I know that shit sucks Z,different test same results.It's difficult to get consistent gameplay with that situation,people have no idea how much jitter will effect your game play.

Can someone interpret these beauties and explain them...http://i.imgur.com/UhzMPbt.png

It's not that bad, shows 0 packet loss and a few spikes... it should still play fine for you. Although a good ping to a test server doesn't mean you will have a good ping to a COD server... ISPs sometimes route traffic very strange.

So because I have a small spike I cannot play games? Ping plot and cmd look like a flat line. I am so lost with this now.

A small spike doesn't mean you can't play games... A ping spike can happen from anything, if someone uploads a picture to Facebook at my house my ping will go up to 50ms but it's not going to stop my game from working lol

It's not that bad, shows 0 packet loss and a few spikes... it should still play fine for you. Although a good ping to a test server doesn't mean you will have a good ping to a COD server... ISPs sometimes route traffic very strange.

A small spike doesn't mean you can't play games... A ping spike can happen from anything, if someone uploads a picture to Facebook at my house my ping will go up to 50ms but it's not going to stop my game from working lol

I got you , I usually play when they are in bed or not home anyway . I just don't know what to do to get smooth gaming then. Comcast has a national team looking into my internet now for these small spikes. I think for some reason they will fix and Ill still have a playable game 1 in 20. which dosen't make sense, you would think all or nothing right? Oie. Guess we will see. 

I unfortunately decided to use Ping Plotter this past weekend.  My VZW Fios, which I thought was so great, gets really jammed up.  On Saturday morning I has sweet 8-10 ms ping with little jitter or spikes, but by 3 pm I was up into 60ms and higher.  Between 7 pm and 10 pm, I was getting all sorts of spikes, jitter, and even (4) 100% losses.  There actually wasn't much going on on my network at those times either.  No gaming or Netflix going on.  Between 9:15 and 9:25  I had a ping anywhere from 15ms to 90ms. This was with the R1's CC Sliders both at 100% . Would having the R1's  CC's at 70% prevent any of the jitter or losses or is Ping Plotter purely a function of the ISP?

I guess my question is,  what can we do about it?  Do ISP's have any responsibility to provide a consistent service?  What is the best way to go about addressing this with them in a way that would get them to actually do something beneficial?   Does anyone think that the fact I have my R1 connected directly to the VZW ONT (No Actiontec Modem/router)  would make a difference in the service I was receiving? 

I unfortunately decided to use Ping Plotter this past weekend.  My VZW Fios, which I thought was so great, gets really jammed up.  On Saturday morning I has sweet 8-10 ms ping with little jitter or spikes, but by 3 pm I was up into 60ms and higher.  Between 7 pm and 10 pm, I was getting all sorts of spikes, jitter, and even (4) 100% losses.  There actually wasn't much going on on my network at those times either.  No gaming or Netflix going on.  Between 9:15 and 9:25  I had a ping anywhere from 15ms to 90ms. This was with the R1's CC Sliders both at 100% . Would having the R1's  CC's at 70% prevent any of the jitter or losses or is Ping Plotter purely a function of the ISP?

I guess my question is,  what can we do about it?  Do ISP's have any responsibility to provide a consistent service?  What is the best way to go about addressing this with them in a way that would get them to actually do something beneficial?   Does anyone think that the fact I have my R1 connected directly to the VZW ONT (No Actiontec Modem/router)  would make a difference in the service I was receiving? 

Hey buddy, I know with comcast I did a google search and reached the ceo's email. I sent him an email and he actually responded and I have had 3 times now someone outside in a van monitoring my line while I game. Its kind of creepy actually. They are really working on cleaning up my line . You know what I know you can email verizon ceo as I did it to see if I could get fios in my area.They did respond quickly. I can't really help with your other questions I'm sorry. best of luck!

Hey buddy, I know with comcast I did a google search and reached the ceo's email. I sent him an email and he actually responded and I have had 3 times now someone outside in a van monitoring my line while I game. Its kind of creepy actually. They are really working on cleaning up my line . You know what I know you can email verizon ceo as I did it to see if I could get fios in my area.They did respond quickly. I can't really help with your other questions I'm sorry. best of luck!

Lol I saw you mentioned that ceo thing in another thread. Good on you! That's freaking awesome. I'm going to collect some more data, those graphs are awesome. Thanks for the reply and the great suggestion.

Congestion from under provisioning major, you need to contact but greed is what makes people lines like this, I would do some research on what is available in your area then see who treats gaming customers well.

Lines like there's are seen as good by ISP sadly.

I do not understand the logic in saying that jittery lines are ok.

Congestion from under provisioning major, you need to contact but greed is what makes people lines like this, I would do some research on what is available in your area then see who treats gaming customers well.

Lines like there's are seen as good by ISP sadly.

I do not understand the logic is saying jittery liners are ok.

Thanks Z. Can I please lean on your knowledge a little more? When looking at the plotter report, the top shows the different hops, min/max, avg, etc etc, and the bottom are the graphs of those hops. Should I be graphing all the hops except hop 4? The first 3 hops are the R1, ISP, ISP then they move on to various stops to the final destination which was 8.8.8.8. Does the isp have responsibility for losses on the whole route, or just the hops 2 and 3?

Hi I would like to kindly ask someone with that perfect, or almost perfect internet to post some screen shots of . I'm try to see if I am chasing the wrong thingy as most of my ping plotter are flatlined. I never see packet loss. I am just trying to get some idea. I will gladly pay you for a hamburger tomorrow for a hamburger today! :)  

Hi I would like to kindly ask someone with that perfect, or almost perfect internet to post some screen shots of . I'm try to see if I am chasing the wrong thingy as most of my ping plotter are flatlined. I never see packet loss. I am just trying to get some idea. I will gladly pay you for a hamburger tomorrow for a hamburger today! :)

Yo secretface that's a great request. Unfortunately after I started using ping plotter I can see there are more problems with my network than just ISP congestion. I ran a plot all day today while I was working, was graphing the R1, and the 2 isp hops. ..guess where the problem occurred? I've been told to factory reset my router, hook up my old modem and ping plot that, and maybe run a new cable from my ONT which is in the basement to the router which is upstairs. I'd post a couple screen shots but I want to make sure I remove all the possible variables before I do.

Yo secretface that's a great request. Unfortunately after I started using ping plotter I can see there are more problems with my network than just ISP congestion. I ran a plot all day today while I was working, was graphing the R1, and the 2 isp hops. ..guess where the problem occurred? I've been told to factory reset my router, hook up my old modem and ping plot that, and maybe run a new cable from my ONT which is in the basement to the router which is upstairs. I'd post a couple screen shots but I want to make sure I remove all the possible variables before I do.

So just one question when you say factory reset do you mean reboot or an actual factory reboot? I don't have any issues at my modem or my router. Actually most of the time my ping plot is flatline looking not much change at all, when nothing else is running ofcourse. I usually just ping plot the hops that are my ISP. Sometime google but Comcast can't do anything about the WWW just there own crap. Oh make sure some Dickhed isn't stealling your internet while your at work making your test look bad. Best of luck to you!

So just one question when you say factory reset do you mean reboot or an actual factory reboot? I don't have any issues at my modem or my router. Actually most of the time my ping plot is flatline looking not much change at all, when nothing else is running ofcourse. I usually just ping plot the hops that are my ISP. Sometime google but Comcast can't do anything about the WWW just there own crap. Oh make sure some Dickhed isn't stealling your internet while your at work making your test look bad. Best of luck to you!

It was recommended that I do the full reboot, the one where you lose everything.  I think of it like Prestige on COD.  You earn your chops by how many times you've had to fully reboot your R1 and set it up again.  I'm going to be doing all the recommendations this weekend.  Hopefully something changes.

It was recommended that I do the full reboot, the one where you lose everything.  I think of it like Prestige on COD.  You earn your chops by how many times you've had to fully reboot your R1 and set it up again.  I'm going to be doing all the recommendations this weekend.  Hopefully something changes.

Imma a try this too. Thank You! Ill rub the side of it and wear a dress if it would help! Thank You

Imma a try this too. Thank You! Ill rub the side of it and wear a dress if it would help! Thank You 

I really don't care if I loose all my saved allowed/denied hosts, those are easy to add  The worst part is losing all the named devices.  I'll have to figure out which IP belongs to which device...with 25 connected devices  it's going to be a huge pain.

Archived