How do you change NAT type off of "Strict"?

shantzonpoint

Ok you're good to go. tbh I think you can have geofilter on during bootup as well. It will say NAT is not open but it actually is. Also did you figure out the circles issue you mentioned on twitter? If not please start a new thread and I'll gladly help 

Just didn't know I could be host by joining a game midgame. I guess I just get host a lot when I keep the geo-filter off. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just didn't know I could be host by joining a game midgame. I guess I just get host a lot when I keep the geo-filter off. 

Do you mean that you get host more often when geo-filter is off than when it is on?  that's interesting.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Moofda I don't think you're host, I think there is another issue. Could you start another thread, or we can go into chat. Essentially I need a screenshot of your entire geo-filter when the issue arises. 

Do you mean that you get host more often when geo-filter is off than when it is on?  that's interesting.

I thought I was, but that wasn't the deal. I had my map zoomed in so I couldn't see that the host was hanging out with the penguins in Antarctica.  I guess that's where the host gets placed if it can't see their location. Happens a lot for me. 

Guest Netduma Fraser

I thought I was, but that wasn't the deal. I had my map zoomed in so I couldn't see that the host was hanging out with the penguins in Antarctica.  I guess that's where the host gets placed if it can't see their location. Happens a lot for me. 

We are aware of this issue and Iain will be along shortly in the chat to help you with this issue :)

Hey, 

Had a similar issue myself and I seem to have resolved it but just wanted to double check. 

Booted up X1 and found I have a strict NAT. Detailed testing stated it was "your network is behind a port-preserving port-symmetric nat". 

I found this thread and disabled geo, port forwarded like I had before and now it is open. Rebooted and still Open. Loaded AW and it was also Open. 

Question, I read through the detailed description and I'm still a little confused. When exactly should I enable the geo-filter? 

It sounds like I should enable it AFTER I have booted up the Xbox and connected to AW multiplayer, but I could be wrong. Or, have it on from the start and while the NAT may say it is moderate or strict, understand that it isn't and that it is simply due to the geo-filter blocking the packets. 

Idk, I could have come across entirely stupid just now lol 

Any advice would be awesome. 

Just for clarification, I am using a modem/router and connecting it to the Netduma R1, then connecting my PC/360/X1 from there. Modem/router is an ASUS DSL-N55U.

EDIT: I re-enabled geofiltering (first 9-10k km and then local (1200km)) and tried rebooting the game and the console. NAT was open the entire time, not sure what changed, maybe opening ports solved the issue? 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Achilles,

FIrstly thanks for purchasing the R1. 

Basically if you disable the geo-filter and you get open port in the dashboard and in the game then you are good to go. You can leave the geo-filter on in future and it may say you have strict NAT but the reality is you have an open NAT. I can explain the reasoning if you'd like? 

If you could explain it for peace of mind that'd be great. 

One thing which was puzzling me, if I set the geo-filter to UK, can I still play with US friends?

Example, I am hosting the COD AW lobby and want to find local (UK) hosts, yet I still want my US friends to be in the party with me. Is that something that can be done?

Guest Netduma Luke

One thing which was puzzling me, if I set the geo-filter to UK, can I still play with US friends?

Example, I am hosting the COD AW lobby and want to find local (UK) hosts, yet I still want my US friends to be in the party with me. Is that something that can be done?

Hi Achilles - yes it can. Here's how:

1. Either disable the geo-filter or expand its range so it includes your friends' locations.

2. Join a party with said friends. You should be able to see them as circles on your geo-filter.

3. Click on a friend's circle 

4. Scroll down to the section below the Geo-filter called 'Allow & Deny'. 

5. In the 'Handle' box give your friend a name you will remember 

6. Drag the quality rating from 0% to a very high rating, ideally 100%. 

7. Select 'Update'

8. Repeat steps 3 - 7 for all other friends.

9. You can now set the Geo-filter according to your wishes and your friends will always be allowed to join, regardless of how strict your distance limit is

You can see most of these steps being done from 1min 30 onwards in this demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqtM4_6TwI#t=91

Finally a quick tip - if you are playing with friends you can choose to move the geo-filter to a point equally between all of you. This will give hosts that are mutually beneficial for you and your friend(s). This doesn't work so well when playing with US from the UK because the Atlantic Ocean divides us, but it does work well if your were say in California and playing with a friend in Chicago, or in the UK and playing with a German friend. 

Hi new to this forum. Just bought a Netduma delivered today. When I switch on the Geofilter and set the distance, I then have NAT type STRICT in call of duty AW.

I'm using a Playstation 4 connected to the netduma and netduma is connected to my ISP router (BT home hub 5). All are wired.

I previously set the DMZ for the PS4 within the home hub and always previously had an OPEN NAT type.

I logged into the BT home hub control panel and it now shows a long listed number which I can only presume is the Netduma as the PS4 is no longer connected to the BT home hub so I then set this to the new DMZ. Not sure if that was the right thing to do?

On the Netduma control panel when I turn off the GeoFilter and go back to COD AW online, it changes back to OPEN NAT. I also saw in this thread about forwarding the ports so I did a google search for ports to forward for COD AW and entered these in to the Netduma settings. I'm not sure how I can get cod AW to be OPEN NAT and also have Geofilter on as I really want this to work but unsure of what I need to do. 

Help Please !!  :(

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Cajun,

Thanks for purchasing the router. Your original set-up was optimal, I would remove the port forwarding you added and keep the router in the DMZ. You can confirm the device is the router by looking at the side of the box and MAC address you should match up with the one your existing router has picked up.

Here is a thread explaining why: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/126-why-is-my-nat-not-open/

Also we have PPPoE now, so you can bypass your existing router if you want. Let me know and I'll get you sorted on new upgrade.

I think I'm starting to understand it a bit better now. I have removed the port forwarding on the netduma control panel and confirm that the device placed in the DMZ of my ISP router is the Netduma  :)

At present Geo-Filter is OFF and in COD AW when I go to search for a game it shows NAT is OPEN.

So now do I go back to Geo-Filter and turn that back on which will give me a reading of NAT STRICT when I fire up COD AW (excuse the pun :D) but actually this is a false reading so I am ok to leave GeoFilter permanently on? 

Sorry what seems like repeated questions, I'm just trying to get my head around leaving the NAT type to STRICT when on all other COD games the suggestions are that it must be Open!  <_<

Thanks for offering PPoE it sounds beneficial but I'm not sure I understand what this is entirely! What will that do to help?

Thank you for your time  :)

Chris

Guest Netduma_Iain

Yes you understand correctly, its a false reading. Your NAT is indeed open correctly. That fact that your NAT is open means that PPPoE won't actually offer you any benefit. So it sounds like you have the optimal setup :)

Thanks for the advice I have now left the geofilter permanently ON now but I don't leave my pc on while playing cod AW on the PS4 console. Is that ok?

NAT type in cod AW is now set to OPEN by the way! The lobbies it's placing me in are much more local so this is great (I have it set to only 217 km within UK).

However I do have an issue and I'm not sure you can help me with?

In cod AW I will be in a lobby then after the match finishes it throws me out and then can take a while before it puts me into another lobby. This has happened alot of the past 3/4 days and is quite frustrating especially if I'm connected to a good lobby. I should in theory have a good connection because I have fibre broadband (and PS4 wired to Netduma) and there is only my wife's ipad which connects via wifi. Is there a setting in the control panel that could prevent this but still keep my in good connection lobbies please?

Also great forum support Many Thanks  :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

Thanks for the advice I have now left the geofilter permanently ON now but I don't leave my pc on while playing cod AW on the PS4 console. Is that ok?

NAT type in cod AW is now set to OPEN by the way! The lobbies it's placing me in are much more local so this is great (I have it set to only 217 km within UK).

However I do have an issue and I'm not sure you can help me with?

In cod AW I will be in a lobby then after the match finishes it throws me out and then can take a while before it puts me into another lobby. This has happened alot of the past 3/4 days and is quite frustrating especially if I'm connected to a good lobby. I should in theory have a good connection because I have fibre broadband (and PS4 wired to Netduma) and there is only my wife's ipad which connects via wifi. Is there a setting in the control panel that could prevent this but still keep my in good connection lobbies please?

Also great forum support Many Thanks  :)

You don't have to leave your PC on if you don't want to, if you're getting games with the distance you leave it on then no problem really! Just harder to make changes on the fly, like if you don't get a game for awhile. 

It sounds like the issue a lot of people are reporting. Are you on the latest upgrade? If not give me a PM and I'll take you through how to do it. It will help with getting kicked out and youll continue to see improvements on that front as well :)

Archived