How do you change NAT type off of "Strict"?

shantzonpoint

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, as a side note. If you click edit on device manager, find BradsBoner you can rename it but why would you ha! You can also change the device to games console so its easier to identify on other pages. 

Back to the problem at hand, it seems like port forwarding should be working. Sometimes the xbox says it isn't when it is. But lets just double check. Do you play any games on your PC, like CoD for example? 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok, you have something that is opening the torendo port on your PC. But I think its a red herring. 

Wait a minute, I'm being stupid sorry, it's late. The Netduma router is working perfectly its the upstream router. If you click device manager and click the button in the blue box. It should take you to your other router. Can you login and see if it has a section called DMZ somewhere please.

Guest Netduma_Iain

If you need assistance I can use team-viewer, it lets me remote access your computer and then I'll be able to apply the settings for you. Otherwise I can try run you through setting up the other router.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Erm it differs for each router. It could be under LAN.

I guess you could do something kinda ridiculous but will work. Go to the port forwarding section on that router and it will ask for a range, choose 1025-65535 and protocol as "TCP and UDP". Then port forward to the Netduma. Its starting to get a bit complicated now. It would probably be easier to use team viewer tbh.

Guest Netduma Fraser

I may be mistaken as the picture is a bit small and blurry for me but I think I can see DMZ when you have applications and gaming selected. DMZ looks like its shown under access restrictions i think. Can you confirm if that's the case?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Start a new tab and go on your Linksys router again, can you try and find a section for your devices or LAN or something similar. We want to find the Netduma router somewhere on there.

Guest Netduma_Iain

haha legit! :)

Brad, ya thats normal don't worry about it. I can explain though simply if you're interested. For a connection to start someone has to send the first packet, either your xbox sends the first packet or another players xbox sends the first packet.

If you send the first packet there is no problem, if you have closed or strict NAT and your Xbox starts the connection. You'll still be able to connect. The issue arises when another player sends the first packet. Why you ask?

Well in the first scenario, when you send the first packet. The router quickly remembers, this connection is associated with the xbox. So when the reply comes it looks up the connection and realises to send it to your xbox. 

But when someone else sends the first packet, it arrives at the router and the router has to decide which device its meant to be delivered to. But there is not enough information to guess who to send to, its an impossible problem to solve. Could it be for Brads PC or BradsBoner? No one knows :P  So port forwarding basically says, if the packet looks like an xbox packet then make sure to send it to my xbox.

When you have the geo-filter on, it blocks the NAT server due to distance. So the packet isn't getting through because you've blocked the server NOT because it doesn't know which device to send it to. This means that when you're in a game and someone who is within your distance sends you a packet, the router will rightfully know to send it to the xbox.

Does that make sense?

Yep that makes perfect sense. Thanks for explaining that. My Boner hasn't gotten this much attention in a long time! My wife hasn't even touched it in months. If they came out with a fun and easy Kinect based game, she would play my boner all the time. Just like when we got married 10 years ago.................when we had a wii. :-P

Thanks for all your help.  The NAT is open now as long as I leave the geofilter disabled when I launch the game.  If I enable it, then go into the game, it will be strict.  Not sure if this is normal but thought I'd let you know.   :)

Yep noticed this same thing. If I turn the geo-filter on before starting AW it will always be strict, even though it's open on the xbone® itself. Guess we should turn it on after getting to the matchmaking part then? 

Guest Netduma_Iain

This could actually be a different issue. Could you disable the geofilter then do xbl check and game check and they should both be open. If not there maybe NAT issue on upstream router. I can help either way, please let me know

Yep noticed this same thing. If I turn the geo-filter on before starting AW it will always be strict, even though it's open on the xbone® itself. Guess we should turn it on after getting to the matchmaking part then?

Yep this exactly the same thing I'm seeing. If I disable geofilter and go into game, they are both open. If it's enabled abd I go into game, the xb1 NAT is still open but the in game is strict. You explained why it works this way really well.

This could actually be a different issue. Could you disable the geofilter then do xbl check and game check and they should both be open. If not there maybe NAT issue on upstream router. I can help either way, please let me know

Yep, already tested that out. NAT is always open on the xbox and AW. Only time it goes strict in AW (while still being open on the xbox) is when I enable the geofilter before entering the multiplayer section of AW. If I back out of the MP menu, turn the geofilter off and then go back into the mp section it will be open.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ok you're good to go. tbh I think you can have geofilter on during bootup as well. It will say NAT is not open but it actually is. Also did you figure out the circles issue you mentioned on twitter? If not please start a new thread and I'll gladly help 

Archived