Cannot connect to Internet with BT HH5 to R1

Firstly, A Happy New Year to you all.

I wanted to turn off PPoE on the R1 as advised in this topic and connect it to a BT Home Hub 5 router with built in modem.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/9974-having-issuses-with-lag-netduma-this-made-all-the-difference/page-2?do=findComment&comment=79196

I connected the HH5 to the R1 as recommended in the wiki page. Despite 2 reboots I get no internet connection so I went back to the previous set up of - BT openreach modem connected to R1 via ethernet and that's only way I get internet working  :mellow:

Just to be clear, I connected the RJ11 cable from the master socket into the HH5 DSL slot on the left, then an ethernet cable from the HH5 into port 1 of the R1.All other ethernet cables are going into the R1.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong as the BT HH5 has a built in modem so it should work ok?

The PPoE setting was still on the R1 so tried switching that off and hitting apply but still no internet.

Any help on this would be appreciated as I would prefer to use the HH5 to the R1 because of the PPoE issue.

Please let me know if you require further information.

• Administrators

Should the HH5 be switched off and unconnected before I clear PPoE in R1 and reboot or should both be on then connect ethernet as you say?

I would leave them both on, then clear R1 PPPoE then reboot from settings > miscellaneous

Crossy, (or anyone that that is a BT Home Hub user) I could really use your help some more please! The below is what I tried to do last night without success..

1. I unplugged the openreach modem and the netduma.

2. I then connected the home hub to the master socket via the grey dsl port on the left. I connected an ethernet cable from the PC into one of the ethernet ports on the home hub.

3. I loaded the BT home hub interface page which and logged in succesfully as it remembered my username from previous.

Internet seemed to be be ok so at this stage all was good. (no netduma at this point remember).

I then connected an ethernet cable from the home hub yellow ethernet port into the PoE port of the netduma. I then switched on the netduma and waited for it to boot up.

After a couple of minutes I then removed the ethernet cable from the home hub which was going into the PC and connected it to the netduma.

At this stage I thought all was ok so I then went into the WAN settings of the netduma and removed the PPoE then clicked apply.

On the netduma I then went into Device Manager and the blue message was there as expected saying 'we have detected you are connected to another router' etc.

I Noted the WAN Ip of the netduma and clicked on the option 'View other router interface'. 

Then went to Advanced Settings and it looked good as it even remembered the netduma from a months ago as it was already placed in the DMZ and named 'Netduma' so I knew it was connected.

However then I tried to load a page from the PC which was now connected to the netduma but this is when I noticed no internet. I tried refreshing, and also hit the 'Connect' to internet button the home bub inteface but no luck.

Also my wife couldn't connect to the netduma wifi even though it was showing as connected on her ipad, strange?

I tried rebooting the netduma via misc settings but still no luck. After about 1 hour or so I gave up as it was evident that not much was working so I went back to my original set up of openreach modem connected to the netduma then the internet was ok!

Could it be the home hub is faulty perhaps as I remember it previously worked fine and it has a built in modem so no need for another modem?

I do have my original plusnet ISP router when fibre was first set up so is it worth trying that? Only thing is it doesn't support gigabit which the home hub does.

Sorry for the long post but I really need your help in sorting this as I was close to tearing my hair out last night !

It can sometime take hours for you're modem within the BT hub to be given an ip from the exchange I think,not 100% sure but that's how it worked with mine but I was the other way,I plugged into a open reach modem instead of letting the vdsl one within my sky hub do the work,it didn't give me Internet straight away,I'd leave it for a few hours if thats how you want to run it with the homehub then duma

I thought I did I can't remember for certain as I may have mistaken the bt interface page allowing me to login as an internet connection.

All I know is soon after I connected the netduma (both devices set up as should be) I then tried to load the bbc website as a test and got no internet from there after.

So just been checking up reading a few post online and seen it can take anything up to 3/4 hours before you will get Internet,people have said they have plugged in before bed and by the.next morning they have Internet access

Thanks for looking this up Benormous, maybe I should try this Crossy?

I am not with BT but with Talk Talk and I have never had to wait more than 30 seconds for the BT Hauwei modem to make a handshake with the exchange side.

Scythe who is a member here and a friend uses BT and I have set things up at his before and seen the handshake for myself and again 30 seconds.

As I've had 5 disconnections in the past 48 hours and concerned the exchange will think my connection is bad and slow me down should I wait for about a week when the line has stabilised, I think that's how it works?

Can you see if there is an internet connection through the HH when it is just that plugged into the wall :)

Yes when I try it again in a few days I will simply connect the HH only. If I do get internet though shall I try connecting the netduma again as last time it went pear shaped?  :wacko:

Not to pressure anyone as I understand alot of work is going on at the moment but am I right in thinking there is an upcoming FW update soon that fixes the PPOE issue and if so should I just sit tight?

I am not with BT but with Talk Talk and I have never had to wait more than 30 seconds for the BT Hauwei modem to make a handshake with the exchange side.

Scythe who is a member here and a friend uses BT and I have set things up at his before and seen the handshake for myself and again 30 seconds.

Z - My ISP is plusnet (fibre) I just bought a bt hh5 router a while back before I got the duma.

Defiantly or Definitely?  :) Really, is it much better having the HH rather than the openreach modem?

What about all the disconnections I've done?

Should I try clearing the PPoE in the netduma first and apply before I disconnect it then connect just the hh to see if I get internet?

Defiantly or Definitely?  :) Really, is it much better having the HH rather than the openreach modem?

What about all the disconnections I've done?

Should I try clearing the PPoE in the netduma first and apply before I disconnect it then connect just the hh to see if I get internet?

Lol , spelling police are here get down on the ground haha.

Yes :)

There might be unless you have a Hauwei cabinet.

Then it will be G.inp enabled and will do corrections on the fly.

If an ECI cab you might have interleaving enabled for up to 9 days of a stable line then dropping back to fast path.

This conversation rings a bell between us. Yes it is definitely a Hauwei cabinet as I remember looking at it.

So this is good news then and I won't need to worry about interleaving?

I've just seen another post where you mention the modem. http://forum.netduma.com/topic/9031-i-need-some-help-please/?hl=hauwei&do=findComment&comment=67219

I have a bt openreach modem but not sure whether this is ECI of Hauwei, I hope it is Hauwei but I will check when I get home.

If this is the case I have a dilemma. Do I:

Leave the openreach modem connected to the netduma as I know this generally is reliable. Downside is PPoE has to be on the netduma.

Or, plug in the HH5 to the netduma. You still recommend the HH5 Mr Zennon?

As always your help is always appreciated  :D

• Netduma Staff

Yes when I try it again in a few days I will simply connect the HH only. If I do get internet though shall I try connecting the netduma again as last time it went pear shaped?  :wacko:

Yes, see if you get internet connection through the HH. If you do, then connect the Netduma. If you don't then hopefully the reason for why you don't get internet though the HH can be found :)

Because you have the option of using the HH for the PPoE, I would try and just use that. Thats how I have mine set up (modem >> HH >> Netduma) and it has worked fine for a while.

Thanks both I'll have a go later. 

Yes, see if you get internet connection through the HH. If you do, then connect the Netduma. If you don't then hopefully the reason for why you don't get internet though the HH can be found :)

Because you have the option of using the HH for the PPoE, I would try and just use that. Thats how I have mine set up (modem >> HH >> Netduma) and it has worked fine for a while.

Crossy, you say you have modem > HH > Netduma but the HH5 has built in modem doesn't it? Is that where I'm going wrong?

Do I need to configure the modem in the HH or something?

Archived