Trying to figure out this Netduma. We're still having issues.

Okay, so we had a rather lackluster router before. We bought the Netduma hoping it would help (and it truly does). However, we still get absolutely ridiculous lag spikes. Honestly, we have a lot of devices on at once (but they're barely using anything most of the time). Here's our issue, and it's really not easy for us to solve without unchecking "Share Excess". We have a 10Mbps connection speed with a 45 to 90ms ping. It's not beautiful by any means, but it is more than enough for gaming.

We have it so our main gaming consoles are prioritized 35% of the connection a piece. Which is 3.5Mbps GUARANTEED, right? Yes. However, most of the time, we have devices with 2% prioritization hitting an upwards of 7.1Mbps. Now, we can block them and have a jolly old time, but we don't want to have to, you know? Apart from unchecking "Share Excess" (which results in snail-like speeds for the leftovers), what can I do to better optimize this connection? We're not looking for perfection. We just want to be able to hop into Crucible (Destiny, baby) and kill stuff with space magic. For the most part, we're showing green bars (the lower green bar, never full) and that's okay. However, when these other devices hit an upwards of 5.5 to 7.1Mbps, our ping graph goes insane and we drop from low green to flatline red.

We have the Geo-Filter up and it does wonders. I commend you on your impressive feats. For the most part, the Anti-Flood works magic. We have it on Pre-emptive (as suggested), we have our most important consoles at 35% a piece, with the other peasants ( ;) ) sharing the excess. We have UPnP, Cloud Bleeding and all of the other stuff from the <50Mbps Connection guide thing. I just want to know if there's anything I can do to prevent these other devices from hogging bandwidth. Adjusting the sliders in the congestion control doesn't appear to yield any desirable results. It often makes it worse (ie. If I set the download to 70% or so while showing a yellow bar, it typically falls to a red until I put it back to 100%).

I'm honestly not sure what to do to maximize my gaming potential with this router at this point. Like I said, it really is a lot better. Before, our old router's QoS was basically PoS (punny). This is an improvement, but we had the option to block these bandwidth hogging sites before via parental controls and blacklisting on a network-wide scale.

By the way, we have 10 down 1 up. I was looking in the congestion control thread in the help section. Says that an 8 down 1 up connection would benefit from 70% download and 50% upload. I'll try this, but I don't see it helping much.

try running a speed test here http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

DO NOT worry about the speed result, all you are looking at are the bufferbloat and quality reading.

Try your congestion control at 70 up and down and see what you get. try adjusting the cc sliders up or down till you get an A in the results for BB and quality.

The other thing to remember is that you say you have 10 down and 1 up, is this what you pay for or what you actually get? Set your congestion control to 100% and run a speed test to see what you are actually getting and then set your speeds in antiflood bit to just a little bit below that speed.

I've seen similar issues with Congestion Control. When I posted about here yesterday I was told there is a bug in the software which is actually making connections slower when it's enabled. For example, when I use it and set my Apple TV to have more bandwidth than other devices it actually reduces the bandwidth and speed available. Until they fix it I won't be using congestion control. 

DO NOT worry about the speed result, all you are looking at are the bufferbloat and quality reading.

Try your congestion control at 70 up and down and see what you get. try adjusting the cc sliders up or down till you get an A in the results for BB and quality.

The other thing to remember is that you say you have 10 down and 1 up, is this what you pay for or what you actually get? Set your congestion control to 100% and run a speed test to see what you are actually getting and then set your speeds in antiflood bit to just a little bit below that speed.

▲▲▲

The device prioritise is bugged it will be fix in the next update. If you reset the distribution it will give each device an even amount of the connection. If when your gaming you only need your 10/1 for gaming go to device manager and edit or congestion control and set bandwidth scroll down to devices. You can block/unblock devices from there. I would try 70%/99% for cc settings. Should give 7mb/990kb in theory.

• Netduma Staff

Yeah, as others have said it would be best for you to not use device prioritisation until the next update. Hit reset distribution and make sure share excess is ticked. Then set the anti-flood sliders to 70%. That should stop any congestion issues.

I do my tests via Speedtest.net. I typically get 10+ and ~1 for my speeds.

I've seen similar issues with Congestion Control. When I posted about here yesterday I was told there is a bug in the software which is actually making connections slower when it's enabled. For example, when I use it and set my Apple TV to have more bandwidth than other devices it actually reduces the bandwidth and speed available. Until they fix it I won't be using congestion control. 

Oh, that makes way more sense, to be honest. It started happening when I upgraded to 1.03.5. It was working a lot better prior to the update, but that could just be my gloomy-eyed nostalgia talking.

Yeah, as others have said it would be best for you to not use device prioritisation until the next update. Hit reset distribution and make sure share excess is ticked. Then set the anti-flood sliders to 70%. That should stop any congestion issues.

Alright. I'll try this.

Thanks for all of the responses, guys. I really appreciate the support.

Happy Christmas buddy, let us know how you get on.

The next update will be out soon with device prio.

I just dropped it down to 25 to 30% download cap and 45 to 50% upload cap. It works a lot better. Thanks for all of the help, guys.

A new update soon? Sweet, man. That'll be super useful. Thanks for the info.

Archived