Wifi vs Wired Speeds

I am a Time Warner customer, which I pay for 50Mb/5Mb internet speeds.  I have the R1 router wired to the TW modem.  I did some speed tests using my laptop (Dell XPS 17) just to see the difference.  Congestion control is set to 100%.  Wifi workaround is disabled.  I went through various wifi channels and found the fastest (Ch 9).  I am using my laptop that is located 1 foot from the R1 router.  I used the speedtest website to test the speeds with the laptop hard wired and wireless connections to the R1.  

Wired: 60Mb down and 4.8Mb up (excited to see beyond the 50)

Wireless: 30Mb down and 4.8Mb up

I was really surprised to see that much of a difference (50% slower).  I do have all kinds of wireless devices (phone, tablet, Verizon Network Extender) in the house and fairly near to the R1. I live in a single story home with neighbors fairly close (but not too close).  

Is this type of speed drop expectable for wifi vs wired?  I am just curious.

Well just remeber that this is 2.4 GGhz. You would never have that 60+ on this connection. My max I got from net duma was roughly 40. You can see that the upload was not effected. This is a hardware limitation.

• Administrators

You mention you went through the wifi channels, did you use an analyser to find the best channel or just keep changing/speedtesting? 

Reset distribution before testing. 

Try different speed test servers also

Well just remeber that this is 2.4 GGhz. You would never have that 60+ on this connection. My max I got from net duma was roughly 40. You can see that the upload was not effected. This is a hardware limitation.

Thank you.  I know that there is a hardware and RF limitation and expected the upload to not be affected.  I just did not know how much of a reduction to expect in the download.   

You mention you went through the wifi channels, did you use an analyser to find the best channel or just keep changing/speedtesting? 

Reset distribution before testing. 

Try different speed test servers also

I thought about using an analyzer, but just decided to test each channel individually.  For San Diego, there are 3 servers that I could choice to use for speedtest. I tried all 3 in the beginning to see if I got different results (wired and not wired).  There is only a slight difference between them.  

Why would the distribution matter if I am testing the wired and wireless with the exact same settings?  I did ensure that none of the other devices on the network were being used while testing.  I even turned off the cable box.

I understand that there are limitations when using wifi vs wired and that I will have a slower connection.  I am just wondering how much of a drop in speed should be expected.  

You will find that the amount of loss you have is not predictable,sometimes very little loss sometimes huge loss.

But I would be more concerned with the amount of jitter your getting wireless

I have done some research using google....lol its seems that the speeds people get on different routers using 2.4 Ghz its anything form 20 to 35 so I think nothing wrong here.

• Administrators

Thank you.  I know that there is a hardware and RF limitation and expected the upload to not be affected.  I just did not know how much of a reduction to expect in the download.   

I thought about using an analyzer, but just decided to test each channel individually.  For San Diego, there are 3 servers that I could choice to use for speedtest. I tried all 3 in the beginning to see if I got different results (wired and not wired).  There is only a slight difference between them.  

Why would the distribution matter if I am testing the wired and wireless with the exact same settings?  I did ensure that none of the other devices on the network were being used while testing.  I even turned off the cable box.

I understand that there are limitations when using wifi vs wired and that I will have a slower connection.  I am just wondering how much of a drop in speed should be expected.  

It could be a good idea to use an analyser as you have no idea how many people in your area are on a particular channel. 

It's always good to reset that before testing as it does help when people have been having issues.

lukasz answers that above :)

Thanks everyone.  I used the wifi analyzer.  The only channels close to me are around channel 1 to 3, but they are very low signals.  I am using channel 9.  I did reset the modem and router before I started the speed tests.  

Archived