My wife and I lag in COD with two PS4s at same time

ISP, Comcaster  80 mbps speed

Ok we have our modem, in bridge mode, and our netduma in the living room, the wifi signal has to pass through a wall to reach our room with two ps4s,   

When only one ps4 is playing cod, everything is fine,  When we both try to play, we get very short very quick lag spikes, we go from 50 ping to 200 just long enough to mess with out game.   I've tried using a wifi extender and everything can't seem to fix the issue,  Hardwiring isn't an option.   

What should I do?

• Netduma Staff

The store sells them with 1 port on each, if I buy three can I connect to in the room to one on the hub, or would I need two on the hub?

One port on each is ok. You could use three - that would work but you might be better of buying a switch that plugs into the powerline adapter so that the setup is: Wall >> Modem >> Netduma >> Powerline Adapter >> Wall >> Powerline Adapter >> Switch >> Consoles. 

• Netduma Staff

I can learn, so which ever you think will give me the best connection consider it done.

But why do the ps4s get these spikes when we both play

Probably because they are both using the Wifi. What internet speeds do you have?

• Administrators

So best for me to buy three?

Also what should I set the bandwidth to on the router, what I pay for it what I get with a speed test on the ps4?

As said above I would definitely recommend the powerline/switch suggestion from Crossy rather than 3 powerlines. 

Are you also using congestion control when gaming to rule out any local congestion?

I would put the speeds you get from a speed test when wired directly into the modem.

I don't need to use them at present but for what it's worth, those PL Adapters are fahhhhh reeeeaking awesome lol.  Any spikes etc you are experiencing, even if you had like the "best" wifi setup ever... I promise is entirely due to using a wifi setup.  Those adapters are worth the cost and beyond.  Best of luck and keep everyone posted should you go for it!  -Q

As said above I would definitely recommend the powerline/switch suggestion from Crossy rather than 3 powerlines. 

Are you also using congestion control when gaming to rule out any local congestion?

I would put the speeds you get from a speed test when wired directly into the modem.

Okay what are the switches called when I go into the store?

And yes while gaming, the two ps4 both have 40% total of 80 and the download limit is set to 70 as suggested

• Netduma Staff

Okay what are the switches called when I go into the store?

And yes while gaming, the two ps4 both have 40% total of 80 and the download limit is set to 70 as suggested

It's just called a networking switch  :) They look like this.

Archived