Netduma R1 Noise

Hey guys,

Just got my R1 today and set it all up, enjoying the interface and layout. However, I have noticed that the unit emits a ticking, almost buzzing like sound which is rather annoying. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance!

I think someone commented about this awhile ago and stated that it only happen during heavy usage but had no effect on the duma or it's features.

Just made's an odd noise.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Make sure you have the power cable plugged in properly. Does it occur all the time or just when there is heavy usage of the internet?

Thanks for the welcome. Power cable is in properly (although the cable doesn't go all the way in on the unit) and yes it does make the noise all the time not just during heavy traffic. Also thanks for all the other replies guys, It is just a bit of an annoying issue is all. Other than that I am enjoy the features minus a slight issue with port forwarding, lol. :)

Mine interferes with my speakers, I used to have my old router on top of my sub woofer under my desk but I can't put my Duma there as I get a weird noise from my speakers - maybe some kind of interference you're getting or is it just the router itself making the noise?

Thanks for the welcome. Power cable is in properly (although the cable doesn't go all the way in on the unit) and yes it does make the noise all the time not just during heavy traffic. Also thanks for all the other replies guys, It is just a bit of an annoying issue is all. Other than that I am enjoy the features minus a slight issue with port forwarding, lol. :)

@ Octane...If your having issues with port forwarding just make another thread and we'll get it sorted out for you... :D

Mine interferes with my speakers, I used to have my old router on top of my sub woofer under my desk but I can't put my Duma there as I get a weird noise from my speakers - maybe some kind of interference you're getting or is it just the router itself making the noise?

It is the actual router making the noise, it is not any kind of interference.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I just received my router today :-) and I noticed the same ticking sound. It starts just after the router powers on, after around 5 to 10 seconds, and it is very faint but when you run an Internet speed test the frequency of the ticks increases and the ticking sounds gets louder; it seems to be get even louder when performing a speed test using a WiFi device. It does sound very similar to the noise a hard drive makes when being accessed.

So far I'm loving the router, only just finished setting it up. One minor issue I did have was when I'd enabled Turbo Mode, the upload speed on my PC dropped by half (from 6 to 3) but the upload rate on my wireless devices was fine at 6. If I turned Turbo Mode off the upload speed on my PC was back to 6 but my download rate dropped by around 30/40. Turns out it was the Ethernet cable I was using for my PC, I switched to another cable and the upload speed with Turbo Mode enabled was back to 6. Switched cables back and forth a few times to make sure and right enough the issue was only occurring when using one cable. I don't recall seeing any reference to switching cables in any of the troubleshooting articles so this might be something to include if others are having a similar issue.

Off try my Xbox One now. On-call tonight so can't really party :-(, the new router is making up for it though :-).

Cheers,

Spec

Congratulation Spec on the purchase and welcome to forum.  Suggestion: I would not enable Turbo mode or Super Turbo mode if you do not have the appropriate bandwidth speeds.  It may cause other issues with your bandwith.  Also to get the best speeds I would follow this link: http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=fine_tune_netduma

Thanks Buck.

The only way to get my maximum download speed was to enable Turbo Mode. I followed the guide for below 120mbps but my download rate was 80mbps at most, using my old modem/router I was getting 107mbps. Should I not have enabled Turbo mode?

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Buck.

The only way to get my maximum download speed was to enable Turbo Mode. I followed the guide for below 120mbps but my download rate was 80mbps at most, using my old modem/router I was getting 107mbps. Should I not have enabled Turbo mode?

I can't get 120Mbps without turbo enabled so don't worry about having it on - it should be ok.

Are you having any other problems?

Thanks Crossyy.

The only problem I'm having currently is that my phone's battery was drained within a few hours, I can't help but leave a ping to host active on the Host Filtering page :-). I've noticed the Host Filtering page seems to be quite resource intensive on my Galaxy Samsung Note 4, I'm using Chrome. No doubt its the map, animated radar and active ping chart that's eating my battery.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Crossyy.

The only problem I'm having currently is that my phone's battery was drained within a few hours, I can't help but leave a ping to host active on the Host Filtering page :-). I've noticed the Host Filtering page seems to be quite resource intensive on my Galaxy Samsung Note 4, I'm using Chrome. No doubt its the map, animated radar and active ping chart that's eating my battery.

I would agree that it is quite recourse intensive. In previous versions, the map was a lower resolution and didn't seam to be as recource heavy. Maybe in the future this can be added as an option.

Thanks Crossyy.

I have the same issue using my Surface Pro 3 with the Geo-filter page, the battery drains rather fast but for now I run it whilst it's powered from the wall.

Archived