HELP! IP fragmentation issue!

I've been going through the same issue as well, and have tried everything that I can think of as well as what the web suggests to do. I think as stated above that is has something to do with the new update that came out for PSN. If anyone finds a solution please post it up so we all can get it fixed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone I actually just came across this issue myself but I am not using anything else but my ISP supplied router/modem combo.

And this post came up in Google search when I put in IP fragmentation all of a sudden. I don't find anyone else on the psn forums, down detector nor my own ISP raising this issue. But you only see this when doing a network connection test if you don't do one you would be unaware of this.

I even posted in my ISP support forum with no resolution thus far. And I think this due to Sony/PSN. I regularly do connection tests on my PS4 and it was fine Thursday but Friday I noticed this message popping. "The router in use doesn't support ip fragmentation, and some of the network features of the ps4 may be restricted, for more details, contact the router manufacturer."

I wonder what is going on. As previously said the places I've visited including my own isps support forum is not reporting it but you wouldn't know until you do a connection test. This is also happening on my ps3. I noticed my nat type is 2 but and this is a first my nat type in BO3 is moderate. Its always been open. Speeds on the PS4/PS3 tests are reporting as normal. I am happy I stumbled across someone else getting this issue. I hope we can find out what's causing this.

Hey everyone I actually just came across this issue myself but I am not using anything else but my ISP supplied router/modem combo.

And this post came up in Google search when I put in IP fragmentation all of a sudden. I don't find anyone else on the psn forums, down detector nor my own ISP raising this issue. But you only see this when doing a network connection test if you don't do one you would be unaware of this.

I even posted in my ISP support forum with no resolution thus far. And I think this due to Sony/PSN. I regularly do connection tests on my PS4 and it was fine Thursday but Friday I noticed this message popping. "The router in use doesn't support ip fragmentation, and some of the network features of the ps4 may be restricted, for more details, contact the router manufacturer."

I wonder what is going on. As previously said the places I've visited including my own isps support forum is not reporting it but you wouldn't know until you do a connection test. This is also happening on my ps3. I noticed my nat type is 2 but and this is a first my nat type in BO3 is moderate. Its always been open. Speeds on the PS4/PS3 tests are reporting as normal. I am happy I stumbled across someone else getting this issue. I hope we can find out what's causing this.

I had the same EXACT experience!! Thursday it was fine and then at some point on friday it went crazy. I wish I knew what the problem was... its driving me crazy and ruining my weekend..... I just want it fixed. my in game BO3 experience is bad... its jerky and my netduma is showing spikey pings

Oh, well I meant your hubs one but if it crashes it then probs best not to :) Maybe Willphule is right that it is a bug. If you can send packets through your PC with an MTU of 1492 but not through your PS4 at 1492 it suggests that it could be a problem with the PS4.

You might have already mentioned this but did you try it directly though your ISP hub? :)

yes I actually did. I connected my ps4 to my isp hub and STILL got the same error. This leads me to believe thats its either my isp hub or sony... it could be a bug I guess.... I'll have to contact my isp... If I reset my netduma to factory default, and my isp hub, then that means it must be an isp issue or someother outside source. Ive also been checking my dsl cables and that kind of stuff to see if that is the issue. 

I can say with confidence then its not our router/modems supplied by our isps. I always left my MTU settings auto and the fact it changed the same way its been reported on here points to psn being the culprit. I suggest anyone else on ps3/ps4 who sees this thread do a test and report here if they see that message (Most likely will.) - I was pointing fingers at my ISP lol. They had an issue in august where it affected VPNs and gaming consoles, I thought here we go again. But I seen no one else at all on there report it. I see not everyone on here is in the UK (Looking at local times.) I am from the UK and my ISP is BT on their Infinity 2 fibre internet. But I find it odd that we seen that Thursday was fine and Friday just tanked. I guess we can rule out anything on our sides and ISP equipment.

I can say with confidence then its not our router/modems supplied by our isps. I always left my MTU settings auto and the fact it changed the same way its been reported on here points to psn being the culprit. I suggest anyone else on ps3/ps4 who sees this thread do a test and report here if they see that message (Most likely will.) - I was pointing fingers at my ISP lol. They had an issue in august where it affected VPNs and gaming consoles, I thought here we go again. But I seen no one else at all on there report it. I see not everyone on here is in the UK (Looking at local times.) I am from the UK and my ISP is BT on their Infinity 2 fibre internet. But I find it odd that we seen that Thursday was fine and Friday just tanked. I guess we can rule out anything on our sides and ISP equipment.

Ok get a load of this. I just messaged a random psn friend and he said he got the same issue two days ago and that he called his "router service and they fixed it". so people are having this problem.

That sounds like its a global issue of sorts. I honestly doubt its your issue, how can two people living on opposite sides of the pond all of sudden have the exact same problems at the same times? One heck of a coincidence lol. I guess I could call my ISP and ask for a new router like your friend did. The router I have is not even a month old so I don't think it'll help me and perhaps not even you. Seems strange the time frames and issues we have had have been identical. What a small world!

That sounds like its a global issue of sorts. I honestly doubt its your issue, how can two people living on opposite sides of the pond all of sudden have the exact same problems at the same times? One heck of a coincidence lol. I guess I could call my ISP and ask for a new router like your friend did. The router I have is not even a month old so I don't think it'll help me and perhaps not even you. Seems strange the time frames and issues we have had have been identical. What a small world!

Ha. I feel you. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and it looked like people were talking about this back in march. But then you came along. I suspect that as people start noticing this issue they will start to complain before you know it.. :) My friend didnt get a new router, he just said that his isp fixed it. I just emailed my isp, and I might just call them here pretty soon... but I dont know if it will help.. MrDmz is this making your game lag at all or is it just annoying? I am getting higher pings than usual...

Tbh I get the same today when I tested network on the ps4. Still getting nat type 2 even left sliders on 70 overnight lol I forgot to change. I haven't changed nothing my end. So I am guessing something to do with the game.

That said I have been playing from 6 till 8 30pm and all my games bar 1 were almost double kdr. So II don't think it's the duma

Ha. I feel you. I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and it looked like people were talking about this back in march. But then you came along. I suspect that as people start noticing this issue they will start to complain before you know it.. :) My friend didnt get a new router, he just said that his isp fixed it. I just emailed my isp, and I might just call them here pretty soon... but I dont know if it will help.. MrDmz is this making your game lag at all or is it just annoying? I am getting higher pings than usual...

I suspect many do not do connection tests and won't see this. As if you don't do one the ps4/ps3 does not say there's an MTU issue. You could contact your ISP as that won't hurt. I won't personally as I know my set up and equipment is not at fault plus the time frames these issues appeared is not a coincidence lol. Your friend might've got lucky. So good for him : ) - I have had no lag issues myself but I've noticed a more apparent delay in games such as searching on matchmaking plus my nat type being moderate on all games despite it being open before Friday. It has impacted me in a way I noticed. I did a speed test on my PC my speeds were 74.43 Mbps down and 18.31 up with 15ms ping to a server on the coast of France. In terms of stuff outside of psn all is running as expected so it further backs up psn being at fault more than us, our equipment and ISP. The problem is trying to get Sony's attention on the matter. Or different isps all over the world having this MTU issue since Friday and trying to get them all to fix this. (Unlikely scenario.)

@Sir_smooch (Forgot to multi quote lol.) I know it won't be a duma issue. I don't have one. I just use my ISP equipment. I only joined the forum to discuss this recent oddity here as my isps support forum nor psn were reporting this issue just a lucky Google search got me here. Something is amiss somewhere lol.

I would suggest leaving your network set up alone now, it clearly is out of our control. I tried both my PS3 and PS4 just now and it still exhibits the IP fragment message. My PS3 on games like Dead Space 3, Modern Warfare 2 and Saints Row 4 say I have a moderate nat type. Which again never had on PS3. And my PS3 has a nat type 2 just like my PS4. Very odd and annoying as I know my set up is perfect. I guess we will have to wait and ponder over this. Lol.

Got the same issue today with the fragmentation message never had this issue before then today can't get rid of it. I always network test my ps4 when i first turn it on as this fixes a upnp bug on the ps4 where ports don't open properly 

Got the same issue today with the fragmentation message never had this issue before then today can't get rid of it. I always network test my ps4 when i first turn it on as this fixes a upnp bug on the ps4 where ports don't open properly

That's what I do every time I use my ps4 and for the same reason. I see you are from Scotland I am quite near you. I'm from the north east lol.

I started experiencing this problem yesterday. 

I will be contacting my ISP on Monday as my other devices are losing their ip addresses when inactive for a while.

Both my PS4 and PS3 receive the same message. 

Did my head in yesterday tried everything MTU, DMZ & Static IP. 

I started experiencing this problem yesterday. 

I will be contacting my ISP on Monday as my other devices are losing their ip addresses when inactive for a while.

Both my PS4 and PS3 receive the same message. 

Did my head in yesterday tried everything MTU, DMZ & Static IP. 

me too. Ive given up. there is no fix. just be patient.

This has to be a bug or false positive i think, because if you were having fragmented packets you would be needing to resend said packets making your ping higher and in this diags there is no such issue.

yea. zennon you guys were all right. I was trying to fix something that istn possible to fix. I just have to wait for psn to work this out. thank you all for all the support and tips though.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PSN-Support/IP-Fragmentation-won-t-let-me-play-Black-ops-3-since-new-update/td-p/23791348

I found a new post on the psn forum and I posted them a link to both threads on here. As evidence its not us, looks like the community posters are blaming us somewhat and must be coincidence lol yeah of course blame the consumers.

I actually have the same issue and never changed anything,never had an MTU issue unless I changed it myself.But this time it changed all on it's own

Archived