HELP! IP fragmentation issue!

all of the sudden when I do my ps4 speedtest I get an error with my ip fragmentation. "The router in use doesnt support ip fragmentation, and some of the network features of the ps4 may be restricted, for more details, contac the router manufacturer." NO I havent changed mtu, at all, but I have been playing around with congestion control settings a lot. Anyone know what to do here to get rid of this annoying internet slowing thingy? any tips very much appreciated.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks zennon. It looks like I have a MTU of 1464+28=1492 and that is what my isp hub is already set to. Also, why are my pings so high in this mtu test? 93 ms? 108 ms? comon.. what...

I just tried 1464 and 1492 in my ps4 and they didnt work. and 1495 didnt either. What Have I done zennon. I must have tweaked something wrong in the netduma or something....

I even factory reset my netduma as well as my isp hub.... and that didnt fix it.. What in the world have I done?!!!

• Netduma Staff

thanks zennon. It looks like I have a MTU of 1464+28=1492 and that is what my isp hub is already set to. Also, why are my pings so high in this mtu test? 93 ms? 108 ms? comon.. what...

I just tried 1464 and 1492 in my ps4 and they didnt work. and 1495 didnt either. What Have I done zennon. I must have tweaked something wrong in the netduma or something....

I even factory reset my netduma as well as my isp hub.... and that didnt fix it.. What in the world have I done?!!!

Your ping was probably high just because you were pinging there server which may have been far away from you :)

Your ping was probably high just because you were pinging there server which may have been far away from you :)

ok but do you have any idea on what I should do? please i really need help on this one. both of my playstations (ps4, ps3) are reporting this ip fragmentation error. what in the world am I suppposed to do? should I contact sony? I will do that if they have the brains to even help me.... but this is messed up. I dont know what in the world happened a couple of days ago the test went fine and now all of the sudden I get this error? Maybe Iain knows what is going on?

ok but do you have any idea on what I should do? please i really need help on this one. both of my playstations (ps4, ps3) are reporting this ip fragmentation error. what in the world am I suppposed to do? should I contact sony? I will do that if they have the brains to even help me.... but this is messed up. I dont know what in the world happened a couple of days ago the test went fine and now all of the sudden I get this error? Maybe Iain knows what is going on?

and the reason im treating this so gravely is because my pings are up quite a bit, and my gameplay quality is AWFUL. now, its not like im behind people, but instead im just jerking around the map. its really bad and it just happened. I figured one of my tweaks in the netduma caused the error so i factory reset it and Im still getting the error.

Help me netduma forums, you are my only hope

• Netduma Staff

already tried that... idk... im going to have ti contact sony.... i guess its their problem.

I just realised that if your router MTU was set to 1492, then the test you did would fragment above that so would show 1492 as the best. What you should do is change the MTU on everything to 1500, then do the MTU test and see what it says :)

I have been scouring the net for info as well. I personally believe this is the result of some change in the PS4 3.11 update released on the 9th. I get the message going through the router, as well as when I bypass it (wan cable plugged directly into the ps4). It is frustrating as hell and my online experience has been awful since this started.

I just realised that if your router MTU was set to 1492, then the test you did would fragment above that so would show 1492 as the best. What you should do is change the MTU on everything to 1500, then do the MTU test and see what it says :)

wait set what to 1500? I have tried to set my router mtu on my isp hub, but everytime I try it literally crashes my internet and says that I am not allowed to change my mtu.

• Netduma Staff

wait set what to 1500? I have tried to set my router mtu on my isp hub, but everytime I try it literally crashes my internet and says that I am not allowed to change my mtu.

Oh, well I meant your hubs one but if it crashes it then probs best not to :) Maybe Willphule is right that it is a bug. If you can send packets through your PC with an MTU of 1492 but not through your PS4 at 1492 it suggests that it could be a problem with the PS4.

You might have already mentioned this but did you try it directly though your ISP hub? :)

I am super worried about this I have tried EVERYTHING. I am doing research trying to solve the problem but its just not helping. Ive tried unplugging all of my cords to my ps4 and router and re setting them up. I factory reset both of my routers. I checked all the firewall settings. I tried multiple mtus on my ps4, and automatic mtu doesnt work, and 1500, 1492, 1464, 1450, and 1300 all dont work. I havent tried changing my netduma mtu. but Ive gone through all my settings on the netduma, and everything looks A OK in my mind. I am hoping that this is because of an update, but if other people aren't having this problem that immediately eliminates that theory. This is extremely bothersome. I am really worried. Have I broken my internet connection guys?

Oh, well I meant your hubs one but if it crashes it then probs best not to :) Maybe Willphule is right that it is a bug. If you can send packets through your PC with an MTU of 1492 but not through your PS4 at 1492 it suggests that it could be a problem with the PS4.

You might have already mentioned this but did you try it directly though your ISP hub? :)

Yea i really cant change the mtu on my isp hub. Its all default on there and if I change anything in the category of Broadband settings then my internet goes down. So basically in the command prompt test it says the packets need to be fragmented at 1492, but If i just subtract 28 to 1464 then everything works and the packets go through with no error on ip fragmentation. (again this is my command prompt test). In Zennons article that he posted it showed that you would have to add 28 to whatever value your mtu goes through at, and that will be your ideal mtu value.

• Netduma Staff

Yea i really cant change the mtu on my isp hub. Its all default on there and if I change anything in the category of Broadband settings then my internet goes down. So basically in the command prompt test it says the packets need to be fragmented at 1492, but If i just subtract 28 to 1464 then everything works and the packets go through with no error on ip fragmentation. (again this is my command prompt test). In Zennons article that he posted it showed that you would have to add 28 to whatever value your mtu goes through at, and that will be your ideal mtu value.

Does your ISP router which you set the MTU on attach to a modem at all?

Does your ISP router which you set the MTU on attach to a modem a

its a router/ modem. Crossy I have never had this problem before, same equipment for years except for the netduma. The only time I would get this issue is if it was on one console and it was because I changed my MTU value, but it wouldn't effect other consoles. This error im experiencing today is effecting all my consoles and the mtu was the same the entire time.

I have been scouring the net for info as well. I personally believe this is the result of some change in the PS4 3.11 update released on the 9th. I get the message going through the router, as well as when I bypass it (wan cable plugged directly into the ps4). It is frustrating as hell and my online experience has been awful since this started.

when did you start noticing it? And is it efffecting your gaming experience at all?

Archived