Does anyone have FTTP or know how it works?

Netduma Crossy

• Netduma Staff

Hi, 

I was just wondering if anyone here had FTTP or knew how it works?

Ordered it a week ago, and BT engineers came today and ran a fibre cable from the telegraph pole to the house. They they ran it down the side of the house to a little box where it just ends.

I have been told that someone will be coming on the 13th to set up the router and everything, so I assume they run a cable from the little box that is screwed onto my house into an entry point?

Quite confused atm, looked online and haven't ounce anything useful.

Thanks of any help anyone is willing to give me.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Hi, 

I was just wondering if anyone here had FTTP or knew how it works?

Ordered it a week ago, and BT engineers came today and ran a fibre cable from the telegraph pole to the house. They they ran it down the side of the house to a little box where it just ends.

I have been told that someone will be coming on the 13th to set up the router and everything, so I assume they run a cable from the little box that is screwed onto my house into an entry point?

Quite confused atm, looked online and haven't ounce anything useful.

Thanks of any help anyone is willing to give me.

Hey Crossy, I cant really comment on any of that because I don't have it so dont know how the set it up. https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Products/Broadband/Fibre_to_the_Premises/index.htmyouve probably seen this but the Handbook & Technical and Support & Tools tab might provide you with some info though they require a login. Hopefully others more knowledgeable on the subject can comment :)

Fibre to property , very nice what are you expecting up to 300mb down?

Yeah they will fit the rest when the engineer calls.

It works like fttc but instead of the fibre stopping at the cab then the rest copper it is fibre from the exchange right to your hone no cab ,Lucky fella you are :)

• Netduma Staff

Fibre to property , very nice what are you expecting up to 300mb down?

Yeah they will fit the rest when the engineer calls.

It works like fttc but instead of the fibre stopping at the cab then the rest copper it is fibre from the exchange right to your hone no cab ,Lucky fella you are :)

Yeah 300 down. Shame the R1 doesn't support it atm but I can make a work around until it does :)

Basically they fitted a cable but it stops at a box on the wall, no where near to the entry point where my router is. Do you know what they do from there? Is it copper from there to the entry point, or will they run another fibre cable from there to the entry point? Also, does the fibre come into the house and will they give me a special router that accepts a fibre input instead of DSL input, or will it be converted to DSL somewhere else?

You probs do't be able to answer all the questions, but anyone else who knows the answer, it would be much appreciated if you could tell me what you know :D

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

We need somebody who actually has this in the uk to answer but my guess it will be copper from that box to the vdsl face plate when he fits it.

Right ok :) Thanks. Its a shame BT don't have some better explanations on how it works. I would ring them but i honestly cba speaking to BT cause they are really stupid lol. Has taken me 5 weeks since fibre came out to be able to put an order in due to the fact that they kept transferring the wrong line even after I rang them 3 times to check to make sure they were doing the right one, each time they said yes.

I will keep searching, because I talked to the engineer was was fitting my neighbours on Tuesday and he said they put the box directly bellow the entry point, and that is directly bellow bathroom, and I'm not having the router in the bathroom, hehe.

If it helps at tall, I have attached a photo of what they fitted.

IMG_2424.jpg

• Netduma Staff

I'm guessing it will be the same as Virgin's FTTP,  so fibre all the way to the router. Doesn't make sense to use copper for that short hop.

Ok, yeah, I agree with you, it would be silly really. I guess they will just attach two pieces of fibre together in that box and then run it to the entry point. Does it mean that I HAVE to use the router they give me if it it fibre to the router?

• Netduma Staff

Found the perfect explanation: http://tom.goskar.com/2013/09/20/my-fibre-to-the-premises-fttp-installation-part-1/

That is exactly the same as what they have fitted for me so far.

Concerningly, the entry point is about 30-40m away from where the box is, but I told the engineer before he fitted it where the entry point was so the next engineer must be able to fit to there.

To me its strange that the take it to that point then box it off why not run it to the entry point save the hassle of a joint if they are going to run fibre all the way.

• Netduma Staff

To me its strange that the take it to that point then box it off why not run it to the entry point save the hassle of a joint if they are going to run fibre all the way.

Probably because it took them just two hours to get that done. If you think about it, it would be quicker for them to have one set of engineers that just go round everyones houses who have bought it and get it to there, and then have another set of engineers that follow up and set up the fibre for the customer. 

I'm sort of with you though, I would prefer it if there wasn't to black cabled with a yellow type down the middle up the side of my house leading to a box that has "Openreach" cast on it. They must have their reasons though, and as long as I got some super fast snazzy fibre, I don't mine what they do :D

Thanks for all your replies btw from the people who gave me advice. :)

Are you in an area that is trailing FTTP or have you had to cough up some coin to pay for this?

Ive just moved from 6 to 63mb this week and its so much quicker , but 300mb wow thats just crazy speeds let us know how you get on when its all up and running and post some speed tests to make us drool lol.

• Netduma Staff

Are you in an area that is trailing FTTP or have you had to cough up some coin to pay for this?

Ive just moved from 6 to 63mb this week and its so much quicker , but 300mb wow thats just crazy speeds let us know how you get on when its all up and running and post some speed tests to make us drool lol.

Our house is relatively close to the main BT sub station, so they never bothered putting a green box in, all our copper lines go directly to the sub station and not a green box, therefore we couldn't have FTTC cause there isn't a cabinet.

I'm not too sure if they are trailing it, but yeah, 300mb is really fast. I been checking to see which of my HDD and SSD can even right close to those speeds. I just hope that it doesn't make my ping any worse, although I can't really see how it would....

Anyway, yeah, thanks for advice people  :)

I'm guessing it will be the same as Virgin's FTTP,  so fibre all the way to the router. Doesn't make sense to use copper for that short hop.

Virgin don't have FTTP.

It's fibre to street cabinet and coax into house afaik. Unless FTTP is a new launch? Or I could just be talking rubbish lol

Virgin don't have FTTP.

It's fibre to street cabinet and coax into house afaik. Unless FTTP is a new launch? Or I could just be talking rubbish lol

No you're right they are FTTC but there are FTTP trials going on around my area and its fibre all the way to the modem.

Archived