Multiple Consoles

I normally run my R1 with my PS4.  On occasional weekends, I have a house full with my son, nephew and their friends all playing on the PS3 and PS4 at the same time.  I searched the forums but I still have some questions that I probably missed. I have not used the R1 for both consoles yet, but I was just wondering if I can use it for both.

1.  If using geo filter enabled on both consoles, I assume that the geo-filter parameters would apply to both consoles. 

2.  If using both consoles, what console host and players are showing on the map and host being pinged?

3.  Is there a way to have two geo-filters and ping assists (one for each console)?

4.  Are there any downsides or issues with using it on both consoles at once?

Thank you.

This is straight form Wiki

Can multiple consoles be used with the Geo-filter?

Yes they can, we currently have 4 slots available on the Geo-filter which means you can use 4 devices/consoles simultaneously whilst still making use of of your Geo-filter settings.

For example, if I had 2 Xbox's and 2 PS4's and I live in the UK, I could enable all 4 devices on the Geo-filter and set my radius to 1000km around the UK. This would ensure that all my consoles could then restrict their games to hosts within 1000km of the UK.

1. Yes you can have up to 4 devicec using geo.

2. I know that different consoles will have different colours so you could possibly click on each circle with different colour to ping the host for each device. I have never used its just puer thinking according to wiki.

3. I dont think so as it seems that one settings apply to all devices connected.

4. As the wiki says you schould be able to have no problem on up to 4 devices

At times we will have three or four consoles and several tablets ect. running at the same time. I usually just use the filter for me "king of the house" and the minions get disabled in the filter section, unless we are playing the same title then filter applies to both the same.

• Administrators

Just to add, if two consoles were playing a game that are P2P such as Destiny so you can use peer ping, you can switch between the pings for each game/device by clicking on server, and choosing the appropriate number for the slot the device is in :)

• Administrators

You'll see the different hosts, I believe that if you have auto ping enabled it will be the first one that gets into a game will get pinged, however once it detects the next game starting it may switch pinging to that. 

I'd be interested to see!

• 2 weeks later...

My nephew and son were playing PS3 and PS4 at the same time with geo filter enabled on both.  Yes, each console was a different color in the geo filter - PS4 red and PS3 green.  However, I noticed that the ping graph was always red even if just the PS3 (green) was on.  I did notice that the ping graph changed as hosts were changed from either console.  For example, PS4 is in a game and host graph is active.  If the PS3 then starts a game, the ping graph updates to the PS3.  I could tell that it was changing by using the distances displayed on the ping.  It looks like the graph is when any host changes occur on either console. 

Photo 1 - Shows PS3 geo filter.  PS4 is off, but the ping graph is red

PS3%20geo%20filter%20and%20host%20ping.p

Photo 2 - Shows PS4 and PS3 on with ping graph.  The only way to tell if it is PS4 or PS3 is by the distance. 

PS4%20and%20PS3%20on%20geo%20filter%20an

Suggestion - Ideally, the ping graph would include all consoles with different colors. If not possible, it would be great to at least have the ping graph color match the console color.  

NAT Type - I noticed that the NAT type changes when both consoles are on.  I was playing COD AW and the NAT type was open.  My nephew started PS3 and BO2 while I was in a game.  After the game, I noticed that my nat type changed from open to moderate.  Any ideas why that happens?

Ideally, the ping graph would include all consoles with different colors. If not possible, it would be great to at least have the ping graph color match the console color.- Great suggestion.

are you using UPnP enable? Also when that happens could you test NAT by console test and not the in game test. If in game will show moderate but all of the consoles test done at this time would say NAT open. Then it is just a false information from game. If not we can inspect further. 

Ideally, the ping graph would include all consoles with different colors. If not possible, it would be great to at least have the ping graph color match the console color.- Great suggestion.

are you using UPnP enable? Also when that happens could you test NAT by console test and not the in game test. If in game will show moderate but all of the consoles test done at this time would say NAT open. Then it is just a false information from game. If not we can inspect further. 

Yes, UPnP is enabled.  When I fired up the PS4 again with the PS3 already on, I got a moderate nat type in COD AW but it tested as Nat Type 2 on PS4.   I then rebooted everything, and it is not back to open.  I will monitor and see if it happens again.

Again thats seems like just a false result as NAT TYPE 2 means that you have a open NAT. So if the both consoles have NAT type 2 while the game reports something else it is a false in game report most likely.

I agree PS4 NAT Type 2 should be "Open" in the game.  Could it possibly be a conflict with UPnP between the games and consoles?  I was discussing this with my nephew and he stated that he has seen that happen before on my PS4 when we have both consoles going at times (but not always).

Buddy if you have NAT TYPE 2 it is a open NAT. In game as well even if the game is gaving you a false reading you still have a open Nat.

So if you still bothered by this you could skip the upnp nad manually portforward the consoles.

I am not worried about the NAT type.  I was simply pointing out an issue that has been encountered when I was testing with both consoles. I assumed with a NAT type 2, it had to be the game.   I was just curious as to why it was happening. 

Archived