NetDuma won't pull WAN IP from ISP

Boy boy boy where do I start. I'm starting to develop a love hate relationship with this device, and sadly it's mostly hate. Not sure who's at fault here but it's easier to hate the device you've spent $200 and tangible lol...

The number 1 issue I'm having is the Netduma pulling my Public IP address from my ISP Comcast cable in the U.S. I'm a Network Engineer with Comcast so I'm pretty fluent with our gear and can have a tech from the company check my line for issues at the drop of a hat.

From time to time my HFC modem will reboot as I test new tier speeds as we upgrade our DOCSIS system to newer platforms. This means that new boot files are pushed to my modem frequently that causes a reboot. When this happens, my NetDuma looses the WAN IP and refuses to obtain a new one. I've tried rebooting both devices and waiting Z seconds before plugging each device in and no luck. The only way I can get it to work is factory default my Comcast Modem/Router (Model DPC3941T -DOCSIS 3.0) and the NetDuma, and then setting my Comcast router/modem into bridge mode to connect to the NetDuma which finally grabs a WAN IP. This gets super annoying having to do multiple times a month and looking for a solution to help alleviate this issue.

It wouldn't be so bad, but my cheapy Belkin AC1200 AC+ router has no problems pulling a new IP upon modem reboot, so why isn't the NetDuma requesting an IP address or retaining the original IP information?

At this point I'm contemplating placing it within the DMZ zone of the Belkin, but I feel Kirk I'm handicapping myself in that scenario and would prefer to go 100% NetDuma but can't under these circumstances. My wife works from home so I get a double ear full like today when the Internet won't work and she has to go into the office. Any help is appreciated because at this point I'm ready to return if this is what I have to go through, unless new options can be added like WAN logging so I can statically set my WAN IP to the last obtained IP. I'm working with my company on a static public IP, but until then I'm at the mercy of NetDuma unless I remove it and add my old Belkin back.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated gents.

• Netduma Staff

Hi the_smoking_man, welcome to the forum :)

You said you've tried waiting before plugging it in but next time it happens can you try doing this:

1. Disconnect both Netduma and Modem. Remove coax cable from modem.
  2. Wait 30 seconds
  3. Connect coax and power to modem.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Connect Netduma to modem.
  6. Wait 30 seconds.
  7. Check to see if it is pulling a WAN IP (I assume you're doing this by going to the device manage?) :)

Hi the_smoking_man, welcome to the forum :)

You said you've tried waiting before plugging it in but next time it happens can you try doing this:

1. Disconnect both Netduma and Modem. Remove coax cable from modem.
  2. Wait 30 seconds
  3. Connect coax and power to modem.
  4. Wait 30 seconds.
  5. Connect Netduma to modem.
  6. Wait 30 seconds.
  7. Check to see if it is pulling a WAN IP (I assume you're doing this by going to the device manage?) :)

Yep Crossy thats the guide I followed and was referencing in my initial post when I said "I waited Z seconds before plugging each device in."

Honestly I would prefer to help NetDuma figure this issue out than send the device back, so any logs etc that I can send to help identify the issue/s just let me know and I will do my best to obtain them.

Just to add to this post, I had to factory default both devices again and now I'm back online again. It wouldn't be an issue but it eventually becomes a pain to have to optimize my router each time for a 150MB+ connection, setup my DHCP scope to include my existing network devices like security cameras, Host Filtering, Port Forwarding for obscure apps that I run and crypto staking system.

Again, any help or insight is greatly appreciated gents!

Actually, you should try to clone your modem's Mac Address and make it match the Netduma's Mac Address. It is unfortunate that the Netduma doesn't have this feature.
But for me, that's what I do since I too have my ISP modem in Bridged Mode and it requires me to clone the router's Mac address.

• Administrators

Actually, you should try to clone your modem's Mac Address and make it match the Netduma's Mac Address. It is unfortunate that the Netduma doesn't have this feature.

But for me, that's what I do since I too have my ISP modem in Bridged Mode and it requires me to clone the router's Mac address.

AsNCo we do have MAC cloning go to "Settings > WAN" and you can set it there.

AsNCo we do have MAC cloning go to "Settings > WAN" and you can set it there.

Oh yes! You guys do!

It must be because I am losing a lot of sleep.

Anyway, please try either way. Either you use the Netduma and clone with Modem's Mac address or you can use the Modem and clone the Netduma's Mac address.

Or the easiest way is.. Since the Belkin router works, you can clone the Belkin router's Mac address to your Netduma since it might have been the Belkin's MAC address that the ISP have configured your Modem to be Bridged with to begin with.

• Administrators

Boy boy boy where do I start. I'm starting to develop a love hate relationship with this device, and sadly it's mostly hate. Not sure who's at fault here but it's easier to hate the device you've spent $200 and tangible lol...

The number 1 issue I'm having is the Netduma pulling my Public IP address from my ISP Comcast cable in the U.S. I'm a Network Engineer with Comcast so I'm pretty fluent with our gear and can have a tech from the company check my line for issues at the drop of a hat.

From time to time my HFC modem will reboot as I test new tier speeds as we upgrade our DOCSIS system to newer platforms. This means that new boot files are pushed to my modem frequently that causes a reboot. When this happens, my NetDuma looses the WAN IP and refuses to obtain a new one. I've tried rebooting both devices and waiting Z seconds before plugging each device in and no luck. The only way I can get it to work is factory default my Comcast Modem/Router (Model DPC3941T -DOCSIS 3.0) and the NetDuma, and then setting my Comcast router/modem into bridge mode to connect to the NetDuma which finally grabs a WAN IP. This gets super annoying having to do multiple times a month and looking for a solution to help alleviate this issue.

It wouldn't be so bad, but my cheapy Belkin AC1200 AC+ router has no problems pulling a new IP upon modem reboot, so why isn't the NetDuma requesting an IP address or retaining the original IP information?

At this point I'm contemplating placing it within the DMZ zone of the Belkin, but I feel Kirk I'm handicapping myself in that scenario and would prefer to go 100% NetDuma but can't under these circumstances. My wife works from home so I get a double ear full like today when the Internet won't work and she has to go into the office. Any help is appreciated because at this point I'm ready to return if this is what I have to go through, unless new options can be added like WAN logging so I can statically set my WAN IP to the last obtained IP. I'm working with my company on a static public IP, but until then I'm at the mercy of NetDuma unless I remove it and add my old Belkin back.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated gents.

Hi smoking_man,

Very cool that a network engineer from comcast bought our router. Can I ask how you heard about us and the reason for buying?

Moving onto your question we use OpenWRT as base firmware, it uses udhcpc to acquire the IP address. I've literally never even touched that section as I've never had an issue at all. In fact I think you're the first person to ever it. 

What strikes me the most is you have to factory reset the netduma. That should never be the case, at worst you should only have to turn it off and back on. Since you're an engineer at comcast can you see if the DHCP request is coming through and if so is a reply sent?

Since the factory reset fixes it, are you sure someone hasn't edited the WAN section of the router? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi smoking_man,

Very cool that a network engineer from comcast bought our router. Can I ask how you heard about us and the reason for buying?

Moving onto your question we use OpenWRT as base firmware, it uses udhcpc to acquire the IP address. I've literally never even touched that section as I've never had an issue at all. In fact I think you're the first person to ever it. 

What strikes me the most is you have to factory reset the netduma. That should never be the case, at worst you should only have to turn it off and back on. Since you're an engineer at comcast can you see if the DHCP request is coming through and if so is a reply sent?

Since the factory reset fixes it, are you sure someone hasn't edited the WAN section of the router? 

Sorry for the late replay everyone. I had actually forgotten about this thread till the issue happened again last night and I wasn't able to pull a new WAN IP address from Comcast.

I cloned my Comcast Routers MAC address to the NetDuma and performed the steps laid out by Crossy above, but I still couldn't pull an IP address. I had the team in charge of our DHCP server for residential customers to watch for DHCP Discover requests hitting the server coming from my modem, and they couldn't see any requests. It looks like the Comcast XB3 device passes on the WAN IP that it's bound to when taken out of routing mode and placed in bridge mode.

I spent a couple of hours last night working with them to see if we could get the NetDuma working with the Comcast modem in bridge mode, but to no avail. My current work around is to add the NetDuma to the DMZ of the Comcast router and then turn off the wifi functionality of the Comcast router and filter all connections through the NetDuma. I've performed multiple reboot test and with this setup and the NetDuma pulls an IP address consistently vs running the Comcast router in bridge mode connected to the NetDuma.

@Netduma Iain

My reason for purchasing a NetDuma stemmed from the Black Ops 3 Beta and the extreme lag that was experienced. I saw a couple of youtube videos where the lag was all but removed and I knew right then that I had to have a NetDuma router and ordered without a second thought.

In my household it's just me and my Mrs that use the Internet, and she far from computer literate to change any of those settings. I looked the WAN settings over last night, and with the exception of me enabling the MAC clone feature, everything was set at its factory default setting.

Hopefully that answered your questions Iain. For anyone else out there in the US using Comcasts XB3 gateway, placing your NetDuma in the DMZ zone seems like the best approach for now.

• Administrators

That seems so odd, as so many people are using DHCP normally. Since you have a work around, I'll leave it for now as I have quite a lot on my plate at the moment. Thank-you for responding buddy. 

Archived