Need some help...

...my friend moved last week to an apt. and he has comcast/xfinity as an ISP,TV and phone provider.Now this is a guy I game with all the time and we've been friends for 20 years,not just some random guy I met online.He's also someone who I talked into buying a duma,here's the issue...

How does he hook up the duma in his set up so he get's all the features.At his old house he had his own modem and router and they were separate.Now he has a Cisco modem/router combo with a phone line also attached with it,and I can't go look at it as he moved to Detroit,which is on the other side of the state.I'm not familiar with comcast or the whole phone line coming in with the internet and TV,so I'm lost.

The way he's got it hooked up now,he has the ISP modem/router combo before the duma and he's not getting any of the features the duma has to offer.So again how do we hook it up so the duma is in front of the ISP modem/router and do we need to put it in AP mode,which is what I was thinking.

I know there are guys who have comcast/xfinity and also have a duma,so could you let me know what the best way to go about it would be.His ISP modem/router combo is...

Cisco

Device type - XB3

Model DPC 3939

I looked up some info but all I found was people complaining about how they couldn't get it into AP or bridge mode,so I'll ask the people who know what there talking about.

Any ideas...?

I have Comcast and I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Call Comcast and have them place the router in bridge mode. They had to do it for me from the office. They can control it off site. Then connect the Duma to it and connect all devices to the Duma.

2) Place the Duma in the DMZ of the combo modem/router and then connect everything to the Duma afterwards.

What I ended up doing was purchasing my own compatible modem. So I would not have to pay the rental fee. I already had an Asus router and used it as an AP. And my Duma is in the middle.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions about my setup. Thanks.

Ok so far he followed all the steps that Buck played out and it works but in bridge mode you lose the wireless capabilities,which he didn't know.He thought it was like putting it in AP mode.He was trying to keep the 5 g wireless on the ISP router and disable the 2.4 on it and just use the duma's 2.4.

So Buck or anyone else, I'm guessing there is no way to put the modem/router combo in AP correct ? It has to be in bridge mode as there is no AP option.

Since he hooked it up like this,his daughter keeps getting booted off her laptop.There is and has been something between her laptop and the duma,they just don't play well together.But without the duma everything plays fine,this was happening before he moved,it's just an issue we could never figure out.

Any ideas...?

• Netduma Staff

Since he hooked it up like this,his daughter keeps getting booted off her laptop.There is and has been something between her laptop and the duma,they just don't play well together.But without the duma everything plays fine,this was happening before he moved,it's just an issue we could never figure out.

Any ideas...?

Is Wifi workaround disabled in Settings >> Misc? :)

@ Crossy,yes it is it has been an on going problem since his daughter got a new laptop.Never had an issue before but since,it's an all the time thing.He's trying to change that channel on her laptop to see if it makes a difference.

They just don't seem to get along and it's only her laptop... :angry:

• Netduma Staff

@ Crossy,yes it is it has been an on going problem since his daughter got a new laptop.Never had an issue before but since,it's an all the time thing.He's trying to change that channel on her laptop to see if it makes a difference.

They just don't seem to get along and it's only her laptop... :angry:

What OS is it? Windows/Mac? :)

You could buy a TP-Link Archer C7 to use as an AP - that's what I did and it works well. You'll get really good 2.4 and 5ghz with it.

I had a XB3 modem also and loved the AC wireless however if you pay attention to your ping with it you'll notice it increases the ping. Using my TM822G my base ping is less than 1ms to the first hop on a trace route which is my router 192.168.1.1. With the XB3 it would go up to 50ms which should not happen when you're pinging something on your network. Now you have the 3939 so it may be different, I had the 3941.

Back on topic, if you need 5ghz wifi - get an Archer C7 you won't be disappointed. Although you will have to update the firmware when you get it and also make sure it's hardware version 2. Amazon is your friend here.

8kGHfsk.jpg

Thanks for the tip MoD BoX,I'll pass the info on to my boy.As for now he's just took the duma out of his set up as his daughter was gonna kill him,as she kept getting booted while trying to do her homework.

So the only time he's gonna be using a duma is if we're partied up and I haven't been on in 3 weeks,so he's SOL for awhile... ;)

Archived