Problems with my Netduma *update* Partial Fix

Hello. First off I want to say that I do love the products abilities, but I believe either I have a defective product or there is some other issue I have not been able to find information about. First thing is my hardware config.

Arris Motorola SB6183 > Netduma R1 (Current)

Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2 > Netduma R1 (I was using this, but switched to the Arris)

I purchased my Netduma R1 a few months ago and right outa the gate I was very impressed with all of the functions it provided. I did not think to check that everything was working. At the time I was the only person living in my house and did not experience the issues I am about to describe until a few days ago. My ISP is Cox Communications in Omaha Nebraska. I have the best internet package provided in my area (Ultimate) which is 150mbps connection. I recently noticed while connected to the R1 that my speeds would not even reach 80mbps at best and averaged 60mbps during peak hours. After disconnecting the R1 and connecting to either modem directly I am able to receive 150mbps or more on my tests. Now this is an issue, but is far from the issue that breaks the deal for me.

My biggest issue right now is the fact that I have roommates now. I setup the R1/modems with all the research I did including the setup page on Netduma.com and trying different settings from other posts. I keep running into this one big issue. When everyone is home and doing something like watching Netflix, streaming music or downloading a file, the R1 will kind of crash. I can still access the browser settings, but there is literally almost no upload or download speeds for anyone in my house. I defaulted every device in the prioritization tool to be equal just to do some tests.The service is slow and intermittent for everyone once the issue occurs. I watch the usage meter on the R1 and the total connection bandwidth doesn't even register higher than 1mbps when the issue occurs. The only way I have found to fix this issue is to reset my R1. Once it boots up, then everyone in the house is happy for about 10 minutes or so when it happens again.

I am on the latest firmware (1.03.4) and have even reinstalled it just to see if that would fix the problem. :(

I made sure my Netgear modem was configured properly by adding my R1 as DMZ and gave it an IP. There is no DMZ or modem mode on the Arris and there is no browser configuration available for the Arris as it is automatically configured internally.

When i used an old Linksys router I had stored, there is no issues with this whatsoever. I contacted my ISP 3 times to see if there was anything wrong with my connection and everyone assured me it was an issue with my R1.

I have provided all the information I can think of, but if I missed something, please ask. Help will be appreciated because I love my R1 and would hate to return it. Thank you.

Hmm... I have heard compatibility issues with the Arris modems but I don't know much about it. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you a hand. But I do know there is an issue with Arris for some reason.

Hmm... I have heard compatibility issues with the Arris modems but I don't know much about it. Maybe someone else can chime in and give you a hand. But I do know there is an issue with Arris for some reason.

Well I just purchased the Arris because it has such rave reviews from every source I could find, but the kicker is the same issues were happening with my Netgear modem before hand. It was my second Netgear modem and I hastily purchased the Arris thinking it would fix the problems.

Well I just purchased the Arris because it has such rave reviews from every source I could find, but the kicker is the same issues were happening with my Netgear modem before hand. It was my second Netgear modem and I hastily purchased the Arris thinking it would fix the problems.

It is a great modem, but if I remember correctly there was a bug with Arris modems and the R1... So you were having these problems before using the R1 with your old netgear modem too?

It is a great modem, but if I remember correctly there was a bug with Arris modems and the R1... So you were having these problems before using the R1 with your old netgear modem too?

yah, the exact same issues. no difference.

That's an ISP issue then more than likely.

Well i don't think so because in my OP i described that when i directly plug into my modem, my speeds are fine and when my roommates are on at the same time there is no issues. It only occurs when I throw the R1 into the mix.

Yes the SB6183 has issue's many have reported this sadly.

Well that is disheartening. I am wondering if anyone has had issues with the Netgear N450 CG3000Dv2. I had the same issues with that one as well. :(

Hopefully one of the members that have had these issues will drop in this thread soon.

Also if anyone could advise me on the best modem choice with my ISP Cox Communications. Thank You.

Also if anyone could advise me on the best modem choice with my ISP Cox Communications. Thank You.

I think the modem is fine, personally I have an Arris TM822G with my R1 and I have no problems with it.

If you could go into your modem settings and post a screenshot of your signal levels that would be helpful. Usually you have to go to http://192.168.100.1for an Arris modem and you should see a screen that shows downstream and upstream channels. Post that here.

yah its nice when its working right.

I found another thread with someone having the exact same problem as mine.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7422-downloading-through-netduma-freezes-network/

Looking at the approved modems for my service, this seems to be the best one available. I will go to my ISP and get one to test it.

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=fd6e0530-39e8-11e5-6e6f-000000000000

There is a conflict between the SB6183 and the R1. 

Confirmed by Iain.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7422-downloading-through-netduma-freezes-network/

Solution is coming in the next R1 update to be able to disable the Energy Efficient Ethernet. 

Or you can switch to a different Modem.

I went and bought the Netgear CM500 and it has been great so far.

There is a conflict between the SB6183 and the R1.

Confirmed by Iain.

Solution is coming in the next R1 update to be able to disable the Energy Efficient Ethernet.

Or you can switch to a different Modem.

I went and bought the Netgear CM500 and it has been great so far.

No errors?

Ok just a little update. I purchased a Netgear CM500 and returned the Arris.

Once I plugged it in and set it up with my ISP I noticed dramatic changes in performance that has made me happy. I stress tested it by streaming and downloading multiple files at the same time. The connection is stable and no more crashing on the network after an hour of testing so far. Previously It would crash within a few minutes of downloading or streaming anything.

Now that that issue is out of the way, I would like to address the issues with my throughput. I am rated @ 150mbps/UL & 20mbps/DL by my ISP Cox. Even though all my tests has shown improvement by breaking the 90mbps mark with the R1 connected, I still want to figure out why my speeds have not gone up to the current R1 cap of 120mbps. I checked my speeds connected to my modem only and it is sitting pretty @ 160-170mbps surprisingly. I tested with 3 difference sources. All are relatively the same results.

I have followed every single step given in http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=why_is_my_speed_lower

Its not the end of the world if I'm missing out on a little throughput for now, but with the new firmware update coming soon I want to make sure this issue gets resolved eventually.

Do a power reset. Shut down modem and R1 and any AP's wait about a minute plug in the modem wait a minute plug in the router wait a minute and plug in the AP(if applicable). Run test. Reports results.

Archived