Downloading through Netduma freezes network

Every time I download a large file/game through my R1, my network freezes. 

Download speeds drop from 180mb to .05mb

And It's only on my R1 because I switched to my primary router and speeds were fine. 

As soon as I switched back to my R1, after restarting it, my download speeds dropped again. 

It wasn't until I restarted everything (modem, primary router, and R1) that my speeds returned and 

the download I've been trying to do for hours, finished in 5 mins. 

My modem is the Motorola Arris SB6183 and yes I know we still have an open ticket about this modem but

like I said my download speeds on that were fine. 

As soon as I put the R1 into my network everything froze. So strange. Can't describe it any other way.

Anyone else have these issues when downloading large files?

Modem                  SB6183

Primary Router      Asus RT-AC87U

Secondary Router R1

I'm. Sorry to say but that particular modem has a bug that is revealed when used in conjunction with the R1.

I had that particular modem and had to exchange it'd or another.

I don't know all the details but when there is a steady stream of data flowing between the two the ping spikes really high and causes your bandwidth to decrease significantly.

Knowing this it might have been the reason why the BO3 ran the way it did.

What is needed is a firmware update but that responsibility lies with the IP provider and not Arris/Motorola. So who knows when it might come.

You can search the forums for SB6183 and you will find many posts concerning this issue.

• Netduma Staff

Removed the R1, problems went away.

Yes, because this is a conflicting between the Netduma and the Modem. It is actually a bug with the modem firmware (and this has been confirmed). Only option is a new modem until the bug is patched.

I understand the issue but I would say the R1 is the problem since removing it, restores speeds.

How can I be certain that buying another modem will work with the R1?

Just don't understand how abc123 can use the SB6183 and R1 with no issues and I can't. 

• Administrators

The modem has a bug with its energy efficient Ethernet standard. Your other router probably does not implement that so the bug does not appear. In the next update you should be able to disable energy efficient Ethernet on the Netduma forcing the modem to not use their faulty version. 

Thank you for that info Iain.

So I can just wait for the next R1 update, disable energy efficient Ethernet and that will solve the issue?

Do you know of any other modems that have this issue?

Just purchased the Netgear CM500.

Hopefully that's the last piece of equipment I need to purchase. 

Been through 3 modems and 2 routers in less than one year. 

I understand the issue but I would say the R1 is the problem since removing it, restores speeds.

How can I be certain that buying another modem will work with the R1?

Just don't understand how abc123 can use the SB6183 and R1 with no issues and I can't. 

If I recall abc123 corrected it by connecting like this: Modem> Non-Duma Router> R1> No Ping Issues.  But you lose some of the congestion control by doing it that way.  I'm not 100% sure if it totally rectified the situation but I do know going Modem>R1>Non-Duma Router >Ping Issues.  If you PM him he can probably explain it better.  Hope this helps. 

OK so I guess putting the R1 router second doesn't really make that much of a difference for you. Yeah. I would just remove the SB6183 I did. I went with the CM500 too.

Archived