DNS

BENORMOUS

HI im just wondering if changing dns on my xbox in the network settings will help improve my overall online experience?at the moment I've got mine set on automatic which I'm assuming is the dns sky broadband use? (Just a load of random numbers )could be wrong,Ive seen people talk about using 8.8.8.8 as primary and 8.8.4.4 as secondary and they have said It helps speed up how your dashboard works on the xbox like loading msgs party achievements etc... but will it help my connection when playing online in say call of duty or destiny.

What Zennon said is correct but I changed mine and the unit as a whole seems to function better. I used a program called namebench and determined what my fastest options were.

I would say Benormous try it and if you don't like it just change it back. Everyone's experience is a little different.

Oh yeah ive changed mine from my ISP's also, I am not saying do not :) I would not use Google's big brother DNS though ;)

I use the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. On Xbox and PS4. Is there anything better?

There are way faster DNS servers then googles…… It also depends on where you are located. Just run the program!

Yes they are fast, but you can get better :P

He is using it for console not web browsing so as it has no effect on gaming why change it.

He is using it for console not web browsing so as it has no effect on gaming why change it.

That is correct but if you read my post before that.

namebench is a great program for helping speed up  your web browsing experience. IT will also help download speeds. I use my web browser all the time on my ps4… hmmm IDK

Whoa ive seen enough beef on this forum the past few days to consider going vegetarian leave it troll I appreciate everyone's answers let's not today please im sure Zennon wasn't starting anything mate,when reading things on here its so easy to missjudge how someone's coming across

There are way faster DNS servers then googles…… It also depends on where you are located. Just run the program!

Yes they are fast, but you can get better :P

Thank you kindly sir. Don't get upset please. Think happy thoughts. ☺️

mcl had this to say about DNS.  Seems like he knows a ting or two.

I can state authoritatively that DNS has zero impact on ping.  Your ability to receive a response from a nameserver via UDP does not affect in the slightest the round-trip transit time for a series of ICMP packets.  Both are affected by network topology, throughput, congestion, and routing, but neither affect one another.  In fact, due to QoS between source and destination, ping doesn't even necessarily reflect actual RTT for "real" traffic.

Is that Zennon character causing trouble, again!  Who polices the police, eh?!  Smh...  LOL :P

Whoa ive seen enough beef on this forum the past few days to consider going vegetarian leave it troll I appreciate everyone's answers let's not today please im sure Zennon wasn't starting anything mate,when reading things on here its so easy to missjudge how someone's coming across

I am just tired of people reading half a post or thinking they read it correctly. Yes chaining your DNS will do a lot more for you then leaving it to googles. If you plan to give information don't give mediocre advice. I never said it will help your gaming experience but it will help web catching and download speeds when downloading games. Google is a good DNS but you can get much better and that was my WHOLE point. If you quote me don't say why change it. HE or SHE was not asking that. They were asking about getting a fast DNS so I pointed them in the direction to get the FASTEST DNS.

Also in my opinion the Xbox GUI is just a huge "advertisement" so yes chaining the DNS will speed up caching of loading all the BS :)

I looked it up for you. Here are a few links.

http://gamedefy.com/speeding-up-the-xbox-ones-ui/  READ THIS ONE FIRST

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2hdzc6/some_guy_was_able_to_speed_up_his_xbox_ones_ui_by/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2n1cvh/this_dns_config_does_a_hell_of_a_difference_ui_is/

Just an FYI people already hate me on here why IDK because I am honest and I speak the truth? HMM plenty of new people will come to these forums hopefully asking for advice or just wanting to chat.. Who needs the HATERS they can block or choose to not speak to me :P

Just an FYI people already hate me on here why IDK because I am honest and I speak the truth? HMM plenty of new people will come to these forums hopefully asking for advice or just wanting to chat.. Who needs the HATERS they can block or choose to not speak to me :P

I am just tired of people reading half a post or thinking they read it correctly. Yes chaining your DNS will do a lot more for you then leaving it to googles. If you plan to give information don't give mediocre advice. I never said it will help your gaming experience but it will help web catching and download speeds when downloading games. Google is a good DNS but you can get much better and that was my WHOLE point. If you quote me don't say why change it. HE or SHE was not asking that. They were asking about getting a fast DNS so I pointed them in the direction to get the FASTEST DNS.

Also in my opinion the Xbox GUI is just a huge "advertisement" so yes chaining the DNS will speed up caching of loading all the BS :)

I looked it up for you. Here are a few links.

http://gamedefy.com/speeding-up-the-xbox-ones-ui/ READ THIS ONE FIRST

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2hdzc6/some_guy_was_able_to_speed_up_his_xbox_ones_ui_by/

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2n1cvh/this_dns_config_does_a_hell_of_a_difference_ui_is/

Nice. Thanks again. Like I suggested don't get upset bro. Let's just make an effort to get along peacefully. No one absolutely no one gains anything by getting upset. Let's ALL be calm and respectful of each other.

Sorry I forgot to type after quoting you my bad,listen I don't hate you and you shouldn't think people hate you I don't even know you to hate you,I think with what's gone off the past few days people will have an opinion of you like when you had a go at crossy but that's up to them,you have probably just taken it the wrong way as you have got you're back up still from the other day,you're posts and replys were helpful to me and I appreciate that

Archived