It takes forever for k/d to move up in AW!

DARK BAWGS

I know that I am not a great player - maybe just bad and old!  But I started with a k/d of .36 and it is now up to .67; what I don't like is how long it takes to move up even one decimal point.  My last 20 games or so have almost all been above 1.00 and as high as 2.25 with only two or three below the 1.00 and all above my current average. 

Now I am not saying anything is wrong, I fully understand how averages work and I had many, many games when I first started that were totally god awful (like 1/20). I have upgraded my hardware and work at practice drills (checkout Exclusive Ace on Youtube some great stuff) I do this daily.  I was playing on a 50 Plasma and the lag was bad.  I have added an R1, Benq, cinch controller (hands too small for a Scuf) and Kontrol Freaks.  Things are getting better now if only my average would move up; I may run out of time to play!!!

Why am I rambling on about this, you might ask.  Well the point I wanted to make is something I have concluded on this journey of over 35 years of computer/console gaming.  If you are a weaker player all the gadgets in the world won't make you better, however they can make it more fun and with practice you can improve or at best delay the effects of aging.  Years ago I was a much better player but arthritis, and slowing reflexes have made it harder to be competitive, regardless the fun is still there.  That is why I keep on playing.  Today I practice much more than ever, in fact everyday.  I do drills then play private matches to work on improving my skills or at least keeping what little I have left.  No longer can I jump around like the "AW Kangaroo Class" so I work on my game-play-strategy.  All of this is what makes it interesting, fun and relaxing - hardly ever a "XXck" or other expletive falls out of my mouth, well hardly every!

Some posts here and on Youtube make it sound like this is the most importantly critical thing is ones life - it isn't so let's keep the fun in it.  Having said that I can't wait until BO III comes and I can retire AW - since I only have Ghosts for my XBox One... Should have kept the 360.

That's my 2 cents worth but I wanted to get it off my chest.  For those other senior players don't lose the faith just change the approach.

Have a great day, ;)

DARK BAWGS (Mike)

i have the same problem. my 3 destiny characters are from day 1 and until recently i didn't really cared about PvP , just doing it for the bounties.. so overall K/D is like 0.9

but my last 3 months rolling K/D is more like 1.5 or more.. it will take forever to bring K/D up on these characters and it will be easier to just erase them, transfer the gear to the new one and start from there. but i don't really care right now.. there is no ranked playlist in destiny anyway..

and regarding your aging point, you should compensate for reactivity with strategy and experience. 

try your reflexes here :)

http://www.humanbenchmark.com

As an older player with arthritis myself I feel your pain, and like you I play for the fun aspect. I think the word "perspective" is what is needed and I will say again, the ONLY person who cares about YOUR KDR is you. I started AW at about 0.7 and it currently sits at 1.05. For me it's more about having a blast and a few laughs with my friends.

Yup it's about having fun,which I'm not as of late playing AW.But need to finish up MP and got 2 more to go.I'd like to stop playing it but feel a need to finish up...OCD on overdrive.

I do still enjoy some matches that actually play smooth,but for the most part it's pretty awful right now.

As a side note last night I was playing on dedi's (Illinois bank) 85 miles from my house and it was god awful,so I turned GF off and then couldn't see the host on GF as I had it set  to 5 which shows US and most of Mexico.But saw the host was 2895 miles away and a peer to peer connection to boot.So I set it to 2.5 so I could see the whole world and the host I connected to was in the middle of Brazil,no shit.My friend and I were the only ones from the US in the match according to the GF,everyone else was from South America.So if people wonder if the duma does improve the people they connect to the answer would be...do you really have to ask after that experience... ;)

the longer you've been playing the harder it is to get an increase.

eg. if you've got 10000 kills under your belt you are gonna need to go +100 kills(plus a few more to make up for the deaths you had whilst getting that +100)  just to get a 0.01 increase.

on the plus side the longer you've been playing the harder it is for your k.d to go down

check your weekly and monthly k.d's to get a better gauge of your performance.

also, all the grinding out camo's and challenges doesn't give a true reflection on your actual capabilities either.

As an older player with arthritis myself I feel your pain, and like you I play for the fun aspect. I think the word "perspective" is what is needed and I will say again, the ONLY person who cares about YOUR KDR is you. I started AW at about 0.7 and it currently sits at 1.05. For me it's more about having a blast and a few laughs with my friends.

I couldn't agree more.  It is the fun, but whatever I do I like to do the best I can - just a whole career of being competitive. 

DB

I couldn't agree more.  It is the fun, but whatever I do I like to do the best I can - just a whole career of being competitive. 

DB

It's all about having fun when it comes to AW.  The moment you start fuming at any point it just gets worse =P  The best thing you really can do though is find a group of at least 4.  Trying to Solo in objective modes or even TDM is just no bueno.  Current-ish stats.

I think the past 2 call of duty's have been very lackluster in regards to having fun classes/set-ups.  I don't have any MW2 vids but seriously, that game was just butt loads of fun.

BO2 you could do this - 

MW3 this -

BO this -

It's all about having fun when it comes to AW.  The moment you start fuming at any point it just gets worse =P  The best thing you really can do though is find a group of at least 4.  Trying to Solo in objective modes or even TDM is just no bueno.  Current-ish stats.

I think the past 2 call of duty's have been very lackluster in regards to having fun classes/set-ups.  I don't have any MW2 vids but seriously, that game was just butt loads of fun.

BO2 you could do this - 

MW3 this -

BO this -

Cool thanks for sharing...

DB

Yeah DB, play with a group. I'm stuck at 1.09 and I've been there for months. I'm 100% okay with it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, fun is key. I can have a s&!+ night and go to bed happy. I have a group of guys I personally know outside gaming and the ones I don't I have known online for years. It helps a lot.

I always think back to COD4 and how fresh and fun it was. I wish I could go back to feeling that way again but I can't. Not sure what system you're on but you can add me on Xbox One. It's cranium2001. Me and my friends play xbox all the time and I occasionally play PS4 (cranium2001 on there too). Don't always have room (xbox)but we'll try to squeeze you in. We're "older" guys. 30's to 60's.

I feel your pain.  I really struggled with AW when it first started and lots of people (son, nephew, friends) played on my account when everyone was over at my house.  My k/d was low because of it.  

As DARK BAWGS stated,  you divide your total number of kills by 100.  That is how many more kills vs death that it will take to raise your k/d by 0.01.  For example, you have 15,123 kills.  That means you will have to get 151 more kills than deaths before your your k/d raises 0.01.  If you average 30 kills and 15 deaths (2.0 kdr) for 10 games, your kdr will only go up approximately 0.01.    If you average 30 kills and 15 deaths (2.0 kdr) for 100 games, your kdr will only go up approximately 0.10.

I have been grinding at it for months and have been able to get it to rise from 0.86 to 1.12.  It does take a while.  Partying with good players and playing with the Netduma have helped.  Partying with good players is the most important because you learn strategies and count on them while having more fun socializing while playing. If I am playing with fun players, I am more likely to stay online longer.  If playing solo, I often quit earlier because my teammates often frustrate the hell out of me since many don't play the OBJ or to win.

I'm an older player myself (41), and I just do not care about K/D, or stats. 

Yes, when I play online I play to win, but being good at a video game is not the end-all, be-all of my existence at this stage in my life. I feel this is the main thing older gamers are up against (aside from people sometimes more than half our age with lightening fast reflexes). Another poster stated it clearly: Perspective... Or, lack of perspective from kids who haven't even hit puberty, yet. Sure, it feels good to win at any competition, but here is where our years of experience trumps machine-like reflexes & determination: We can turn it "off" once we log off. It's as simple as that. It's just a game.

Most kids are being (negatively) influenced by the so-called pro scene because it gives kids a false sense of hope if they "tryhard" and sweat buckets every match... even in non-ranked public matches... They will become the next NadeShot, Faze Rain, etc. There is nothing wrong with striving to be good at something, but a lot of these kids won't make it, but they don't know they won't make it. Casual gamers like us suffer for it, unfortunately e.g. Tryhard lobbies full of kids who play the game eight hours a day during the Summer, and are in fact at a different level than most of us because this is all they are focused on (going pro).

It's not just CoD.

The CSGO, DOTA2 and any competitive game with pro players is suffering from this, and I feel it's a shame because while it is the dream of every 12-year old to play video games for a living... It has taken all the fun out of most MP games because even games with smaller player bases have the "tryhards" who make sure to turn every match into an MLG final. Kids don't play for fun anymore. They play because they want to win, but in a very unhealthy way, IMO. I feel this i s the worst thing that is / has happened to gaming and while I try to ignore it... You really can't when (as stated) the whole match is at an extreme level it shouldn't be, but is because of the emphasis on making money more than having fun :(

At 46, I agree with you JConnor.  I watch my son, nephew and their friends get SO frustrated if they have one bad game.  As I sit and watch them, I keep thinking... "Damn, I did not even see the guy that he just killed!!!  Does he have bionic eyes?  How the hell did he do that move??  How can he play with a 15 sensitivity, because I would get motion sick with it??  How can he quick scope that fast because I can't hit a guy if I was hard scoping watching for them to round a corner? He is seriously mad because he got killed right before he got his DNA bomb.  I am happy for reach the 15 or 25 medals.  Did he seriously just run into a room with 4 enemies and just wipe them all out?"

LOL

Archived