Daily experiences using the Netduma the good, the bad, and the ugly

Grafti

Hello
I like CoD, but since MW3 I felt playing agains lag instead of other players.
I have a coaxial cable connection 50/5mb with una average of 20 ms ping.
I have read a lot and investigate against lag and lag compensation. I've tried all kind of stupid things on my network and my routers, but never worked any of them.
I also purchased a couple of years ago an engine from USA called l*gb*ster, wich was no cheap, either easy to get. No use at all.
When weeks ago I heard about netduma, I did not hesitate in purchasing one. But now, a feew weeks ago, my k/d ratio has decreased. It's getting so hard and frustrating to get in a good game. I continue to feel like 2 seconds behind everybody, tired of broken cameras wich represents deaths inexitants to me, tired of getting waiting in a point aiming a place where I know an enemy must appear, and when it does, it kills me him first. Tired of being always the last monkey. Tired of feeling that I have not stopped of playing agains lag, an no other players.
I reject every host wich is above 50 ms ping. How is it possible that all this things happens to me in lobbies bellow 40 ms ping??? Lobbies in wich I should be the king, but I'm playing on 3 ping bars, and the game is hellish laggy... missing hitmakers, a full magazine to kill an enemy...

I am forced to leave practically everygame I get in, because it's laggy as hell!!
What's going on? Why there's no absoluty way of getting rid of lag? Does Activision hates me and think that I deserve being laggy the rest of my life, no matter what I do?
Someone in this forum told me that the x2 experience points weekend usually work really bad, but the weekend is gone, and I'm still laggy.
Then I read comments here and everybody is so happy. Why I have not felt any difference?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi there the first thing we need to do is find out the root causes

So could you please tell me where you are located, what games you are playing, what game modes and most importantly what you have your geo filter set at and what version of the router software you have please

@ Grafti just my opinion but i think all the servers are having problems.I know the COD servers were all messed up starting Saturday night.I still get in  laggy games but they are far less than i use to "pre duma".The duma is a great router but it can't control you connects to the dedi that you connected to it.And if they have an ass connection then your game play will suffer along with the rest of the lobby.Give it time and you will be more than happy with your purchase

And forget the camera angles and kill cam neither are good representations of what is really going on in game.All they are are from the hosts point of view not yours.So your seeing it from the laggy guys point of view.So it looks out of sink.

And make sure your on the latest software.6 not .2 There are tons of people (admin and members) who will go out of there way to make sure you have the best experience possible

hi there the first thing we need to do is find out the root causes

So could you please tell me where you are located, what games you are playing, what game modes and most importantly what you have your geo filter set at and what version of the router software you have please

Sure

I am in the east region of Spain, by the mediterranean sea, noth from Valencia. I use the netduma o play CoD AW. I usually play Domination, kill confirmed and team deathmatch. My geophilter is preemptive in a radius of 600-900km. I do not use strict mode, because if I use it, it's imposiible to enter a game. The software is the version 6

Describe your connection setup for the admins.

Modem/router from ISP put into bridge  mode, router TP-Link N-4900 (Ithink), and Netduma (yes, I configured the router to put the Netduma in DMZ)

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Grafiti, 

if you want to get good games I urge you to put strict mode on. I would then use the snap button to try get games quicker. 

In fact the Mediterrian is quite interesting, as you probably don't want to play sea monsters in Africa & probably not many players in Africa. If I was you I'd probably put myself in south of France & use the snap function to get Spain, France & Germany. 

If I was you I would have the following settings with strict mode enabled:

post-147-0-55946400-1422378531_thumb.png

That with strict mode should make a big difference to gaming. If not I suspect its an ISP issue. 

post-147-0-55946400-1422378531_thumb.png

Maybe I am not getting results by the momment
But I would like to make clear that you, the community, are awesome. Always looking to help the users. Its so relaying.
Thank you all

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for saying that. The fact that you had strict off meant you could be connecting to hosts in US and beyond. So I'm confident you'll see a very big difference.  We are literally writing a manual at the moment and one of the topics discusses the fact that your "home location" does NOT need to actually be your home. You want to put it somewhere that encompasses an optimum area for the Internet.

So in your example, no offense to Africa, but it might as well be an Ocean because I don't(forgive me if I'm wrong) think there are any players other than a tiny fraction in Egypt and others in South Africa. You also need to consider where Internet infrastructure is for your location. So for EU Germany, Netherlands & Northern Ireland are where big data centres are normally held. So you wanna try include that as well. 

Please let me know how you get on.

Thanks for saying that. The fact that you had strict off meant you could be connecting to hosts in US and beyond. So I'm confident you'll see a very big difference.  We are literally writing a manual at the moment and one of the topics discusses the fact that your "home location" does NOT need to actually be your home. You want to put it somewhere that encompasses an optimum area for the Internet.

So in your example, no offense to Africa, but it might as well be an Ocean because I don't(forgive me if I'm wrong) think there are any players other than a tiny fraction in Egypt and others in South Africa. You also need to consider where Internet infrastructure is for your location. So for EU Germany, Netherlands & Northern Ireland are where big data centres are normally held. So you wanna try include that as well. 

Please let me know how you get on.

Ok, I'll let you know after some testing.

But I have never played in a server located in Africa (my geophilter radius does not reach Africa). It's so extrange... sometimes a host that is 11 km next to me has a very high ping in  comparisson of a server located in the other side of the country

Guest Netduma_Iain

Well ping is the most important thing. The big mistake I did in .6 is not show the host every-time so for example with strict mode you can't tell who the host is. In .7 you can, I really want to release it now but its having some issues with new features added we're trying to fix. 

What TV/Monitor are you playing on ?

My 55 inch Samsung TV has at least 1 second HDMI input lag, on "game mode" is little bit better but still not great. I'am not able to play any FPS games on this TV with reasonable result even if my ping is like 15-30ms. Large TV is suitable for Skylanders but not for COD or BF.

Right now i'm using only 32 inch Toshiba TV (no input lag at all), 23 inch AOC monitor or Optoma projector.

Check your lag in your console main menu, whenever you press on d-pad you should get instant reaction on TV/Monitor, if not, ping is not your issue.

Basically as opit78 said input lag (the amount of time it takes your TV/Monitor to process the image from the xbox/PS and display it.  On bigger TVs i've see this be 150ms make sure you google "[model of TV] input lag"

My Samsung has 200-300ms input lag in game mode (mid 2011 model). Even smaller TV's comes with huge input lags, they all trying to make viewing experience better (as you said image processing).

Many PC monitor have this issue as well. Manufacturer says that this monitor has response time of 5ms, 10ms, 15ms or whatever, however if you test it with proper tools you can easily see input lag of 80-150ms

My Samsung has 200-300ms input lag in game mode (mid 2011 model). Even smaller TV's comes with huge input lags, they all trying to make viewing experience better (as you said image processing).

Many PC monitor have this issue as well. Manufacturer says that this monitor has response time of 5ms, 10ms, 15ms or whatever, however if you test it with proper tools you can easily see input lag of 80-150ms

for my TV i had to use HDMI port 1 then rename it to PC then enable game mode 20ms from 150ms, then on xbox 360 i switched to VGA which gave me 10ms

i def would join games over 50 ping as i have played almost exclusively at between 40 and 80 ping. My last game last night was at a server 2000kmfrom me and an 80 ping and i raged and went 29 and 9 on classic team death match. people could not touch me ,manno a manno i had the beat on all of them. I was really surprised when i got onto the server as i told my brother this one is going to bebad as its to far away but it was midnight so i had to expand seach.I think with these dedicated servers if you get one maybe its not so important howfar it is butmore important that your closer than most players. Also a majority of time i am ahead of most players but there is always at least one player on every team that i just cant touch no matter what. So there are other forces at play , dont give up and try some server with ping over 50ms......you might be surprised.

and yes have a gaming monitor and scuf controller and play wired helps immensly........since i did that i went from a semi camper to a rusher running around like a chicken with its head cut off and still have 1.35 kd and 270 scpm.....which isnt high but i almost always get 20 kills a game and am lobby leader or 2 or 3.....my pb is 44 and 12 on classic tdm and im an old guy........so again hang in there and if you can afford it put everything in ur favour.........for me a regular tv did the most damage to my score becuse of display lag.

and yes have a gaming monitor and scuf controller and play wired helps immensly........since i did that i went from a semi camper to a rusher running around like a chicken with its head cut off and still have 1.35 kd and 270 scpm.....which isnt high but i almost always get 20 kills a game and am lobby leader or 2 or 3.....my pb is 44 and 12 on classic tdm and im an old guy........so again hang in there and if you can afford it put everything in ur favour.........for me a regular tv did the most damage to my score becuse of display lag.

I think abc123 is a computer. Lol.

I was made by...oh crap almost gave it away that...nevermind :)

haha  sorry for multi post

That wasn't just one multi-post jesus! that's like multi-posting craziness.

I agree. I know everyone wants to game on a 60in Samsung Plasma but I f you play on a gaming monitor you will never go back. The lag is a lot less and you will not have to rotate your vision very far. It's a game changer. I game on a Benq but Asus makes some great ones too.

Agreed with the gaming monitor.  I tried my tv again just for giggles and man on man the input lag is AMAZING LOL!  Going from tv to BenQ 1ms was night and day and of course adding the Duma to the mix was the cherry on top =) . BTW Grafti, I would recommend putting the Duma in front of your Tplink so you can take advantage of the Congestion control if you havent yet.  Sorry if you said you did that already.

Archived