Slow speedtest after vpn connection

Hi guys,

I am finding I am getting a very slow speed test from Speedtest.net after I connect my vpn and enable it to my PC. I have checked with whatismyip and it has changed, however I go from 90/2.4 to 3/1 (down / up load speeds). my ping goes from 9ms to 300+ms

I am trialling purevpn and connecting to the Australian server. I got the set-up from a different forum post and double checked it with the latest certs from purevpn. It says connected.

Do you think this is a slow server or am I doing something wrong? I am in Australia btw, so the speedtest shouldn't change that much should it?

My advanced setup is as follows:

client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote au1-ovpn-tcp.purevpn.net 80
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
tls-auth Wdc.key 1
cipher AES-256-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 1
mute 20
route-method exe
route-delay 2
route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
float
auth-user-pass
auth-retry interact
ifconfig-nowarn

<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

<tls-auth>                                                                                        
-----BEGIN OpenVPN Static key V1-----                                                             
e30af995f56d07426d9ba1f824730521                                                                  
d4283db4b4d0cdda9c6e8759a3799dcb                                                                  
7939b6a5989160c9660de0f6125cbb1f                                                                  
585b41c074b2fe88ecfcf17eab9a33be                                                                  
1352379cdf74952b588fb161a93e13df                                                                  
9135b2b29038231e02d657a6225705e6                                                                  
868ccb0c384ed11614690a1894bfbeb2                                                                  
74cebf1fe9c2329bdd5c8a40fe882062                                                                  
4d2ea7540cd79ab76892db51fc371a3a                                                                  
c5fc9573afecb3fffe3281e61d72e915                                                                  
79d9b03d8cbf7909b3aebf4d90850321                                                                  
ee6b7d0a7846d15c27d8290e031e951e                                                                  
19438a4654663cad975e138f5bc5af89                                                                  
c737ad822f27e19057731f41e1e254cc                                                                  
9c95b7175c622422cde9f1f2cfd3510a                                                                  
dd94498b4d7133d3729dd214a16b27fb                                                                  
-----END OpenVPN Static key V1-----                                                               
</tls-auth>

• Netduma Staff

Welcome to the forum :)

Would you be able to download the VPN software and run it through the same server. Then do a speedtest an d see what they are. If they are much better then I think it is something to do with the MTU which is being investigated for the next update (see here). The ping spikes are probably just because it isn't a gaming VPN so you probably won't want to game though it :)

Hi Crossy, Thanks for the welcome  :P

Good idea, I did connect via there software, and it was a fair bit faster... 

Interestingly when I used the software it connected me to a sydney server, and when I used the Duma it connected me to an Adelaide Server...  But I dont think that would account for such a big speed difference.

Speeds below.

Without vpn Connected

Ping=8ms, Down=92.8, Up=2.46

VPN software on PC

Ping=167ms, Down=49.43 Up=2.34

VPN connected via netDuma

Ping=351, Down=2.94, Up=0.60

• Netduma Staff

I think the ping difference between the VPNs is because they were a different server. You can choose the same server by using a different config file in the advanced section of the Netduma.

I think the speed difference is because of the MTU, so I don't think you can fix that until the next update comes out :)

I think the ping difference between the VPNs is because they were a different server. You can choose the same server by using a different config file in the advanced section of the Netduma.

I think the speed difference is because of the MTU, so I don't think you can fix that until the next update comes out :)

Thanks for your help. Is the MTU a problem with all VPN's or just some? Are there any gaming vpn's you would suggest that don't have the problem? I am just trialling and am willing to use any really.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for your help. Is the MTU a problem with all VPN's or just some? Are there any gaming vpn's you would suggest that don't have the problem? I am just trialling and am willing to use any really.

Yes the MTU problem is with all VPNs.

You should be able to find a good gaming VPN just for searching for 'Gaming VPNs' then have a look to see if they have a server near to you :)

New version.......... yeeeeeeeeppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :) :) :)

Hi Fraser, thanks for the update. looking forward to the new release, I have read a lot about it.

Dale

Same problem here, I got very slow connection too because OpenVPN not good for gaming online and as Crossy said MTU,

So i use PPTP with another router as main router and i linked Netduma to it, So Netduma router will working like a rocket but make sure to use good VPN provider and test many location until you find out which location is better for you, For me! i always test ping with EA server for Titanfall and FIFA and BF games for example (to ping FIFA server use "easo.ea.com").

• Netduma Staff

Apparantly (according to other websites) you can fix the slow speeds by adding this line to you VPN config: 'mssfix 1420'. I think thats just an a presumtion that your optimum MTu would be 1460. I can't test it to see if it works but if you don't want to wait for the updatq then maybe it's worth a try :)

Apparantly (according to other websites) you can fix the slow speeds by adding this line to you VPN config: 'mssfix 1420'. I think thats just an a presumtion that your optimum MTu would be 1460. I can't test it to see if it works but if you don't want to wait for the updatq then maybe it's worth a try :)

I have found that adding

remote-cert-tls server;

sndbuf 393216;
rcvbuf 393216;
push "sndbuf 393216";
push "rcvbuf 393216";

seems to help better then changing mtu values.

I am also on PIA, anyone else using Private Internet Access?

• Administrators

I have found that adding

remote-cert-tls server;

sndbuf 393216;
rcvbuf 393216;
push "sndbuf 393216";
push "rcvbuf 393216";

seems to help better then changing mtu values.

I am also on PIA, anyone else using Private Internet Access?

How much did that push your speeds up?

• 3 months later...

I am having the EXACT same problem with the same VPN provider. I even cancelled a subscription with ExpressVPN and switched to PureVPN but the problem still exists. Its fine running through their software (bit of a high ping but that's not a huge issue as i wont be running the PS4 through the VPN anyway) but when run through the Netduma it's a 500+ ping with dial up speeds.

Any news on when this "fix" will be here as i tried again after the latest update and the results are the same.  

Cheers  

• Netduma Staff

I am having the EXACT same problem with the same VPN provider. I even cancelled a subscription with ExpressVPN and switched to PureVPN but the problem still exists. Its fine running through their software (bit of a high ping but that's not a huge issue as i wont be running the PS4 through the VPN anyway) but when run through the Netduma it's a 500+ ping with dial up speeds.

Any news on when this "fix" will be here as i tried again after the latest update and the results are the same.  

Cheers  

I don't think it is possible to get more than about 12Mbps through the Netduma with a VPN :)

Would you be able to post the top of the config file that you are using to connect :)

Hi Crossy, please see below

PureVPN have a server in Bahrain (below), not sure if you are aware how small this island is but wherever this server is located on the island i could drive there in 20 minutes max  :).

Cheers.....

client
dev tun
proto tcp
remote bh1-ovpn-tcp.purevpn.net 80
persist-key
persist-tun
ca ca.crt
tls-auth Wdc.key 1
cipher AES-256-CBC
comp-lzo
verb 1
mute 20
route-method exe
route-delay 2
route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
float
auth-user-pass
auth-retry interact
ifconfig-nowarn

I am also getting a "Failed to communicate with router" error message.

• Administrators

If you're getting that error when clicking apply can you first try doing this please:

Firstly please try disable your anti-virus, adware or firewall and see if the error goes away.

If the error does not go away and you see failed try again in 5 s connection timed out in the log then you are trying to connect to a server that is down. Please untick enable click apply. Reboot the router and try connect to a different server please.

• 5 months later...

Hi Fraser/Crossy,

I have just started using VPN service, I am getting very slow speed. I am in Melbourne, Australia and using PureVpn.

My normal Speed: 100 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload.

with one click vpn.  2 mbps and .8 mbps

Could you please help here. Thanks in advance.

Could you please help here.

same dramas for me too, was with torguard and getting about 550kb/s thought it was the vpn, now trying purevpn and getting between 600-700kb/s. With VPN off downloads are max 1.6MB/s. Using the purepvpn software on the computer I get 1.4MB/s using PPTP and 128bit encryption

Archived