DumaOS Version   3.3.157 Issues - latency Spikes/Beta Firmware

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Let us know how you get on with the new modem. Do you play any other games at all so you could compare your experience? I will get the team to have a look but may be hard to identify the cause based on the info

Yes, I tested in Halo, seemed ok......I think its MW3 and Modem (2 issues) Thats why is confusing to pinpoint. So far new modem MW3 is ok, but no one else using the internet atm. more time needed.

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, MuRF FuRY said:

Yes, I tested in Halo, seemed ok......I think its MW3 and Modem (2 issues) Thats why is confusing to pinpoint. So far new modem MW3 is ok, but no one else using the internet atm. more time needed.

Alright keep us posted!

Update: It looks as though my modem was the main problem. With a new Gen 3 modem things are working again when DumaOS (Internet Optimizer) is enabled. MW3 still has a stuttering/lag spikes, but I am now convinced that this was a separate issue, that coincidently happened at the same time as my other issues.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi @MuRF FuRY its likely not your issue, but this thread reads similar to a rabbit chase I did last year with Battlefield 2042 on Xbox & a Gen3 firmware.  We've resolved the root cause in  future Telstra/DumaOS firmwares, but the triggering issue was an Xbox system setting:
General > Network settings > Advanced settings > QoS tagging settings. You'll see two options labelled DSCP tagging and WMM tagging.  I had manually turned these on and they were actually triggering the issue, worth checking they're not enabled on your Xbox.

15 minutes ago, mannrs said:

Hi @MuRF FuRY its likely not your issue, but this thread reads similar to a rabbit chase I did last year with Battlefield 2042 on Xbox & a Gen3 firmware.  We've resolved the root cause in  future Telstra/DumaOS firmwares, but the triggering issue was an Xbox system setting:
General > Network settings > Advanced settings > QoS tagging settings. You'll see two options labelled DSCP tagging and WMM tagging.  I had manually turned these on and they were actually triggering the issue, worth checking they're not enabled on your Xbox.

Yes, I did check what you suggested, and I have them off atm and will test more to see if that was the issue with MW3, as while I was trouble shooting my issues, I may have had them on as well. It's been a nightmare. I know you don't give out ETA of new firmware so hopefully its not too long. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I'll keep you posted if I have more info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2024 at 5:15 AM, MuRF FuRY said:

Update: It looks as though my modem was the main problem. With a new Gen 3 modem things are working again when DumaOS (Internet Optimizer) is enabled. MW3 still has a stuttering/lag spikes, but I am now convinced that this was a separate issue, that coincidently happened at the same time as my other issues.

Thanks again for your help.

It looks like I spoke too soon. Even with new gen 3 modem, MW3 get lag spikes with Internet Optimizer enabled. And with it disabled it doesn't. which make me believe it's a DumaOS issues, not a game server issue.

DumaOS Version   3.3.157 is very buggy. here is a list of current issues that I have posted about that have not been rectified.

Other issues I have not posted about but others have.

Now I am aware you don't announce dates of new versions, bust can you at least let me know if one is coming soon, as I am at the point of not using it in its current buggy state.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, MuRF FuRY said:

It looks like I spoke too soon. Even with new gen 3 modem, MW3 get lag spikes with Internet Optimizer enabled. And with it disabled it doesn't. which make me believe it's a DumaOS issues, not a game server issue.

DumaOS Version   3.3.157 is very buggy. here is a list of current issues that I have posted about that have not been rectified.

Other issues I have not posted about but others have.

Now I am aware you don't announce dates of new versions, bust can you at least let me know if one is coming soon, as I am at the point of not using it in its current buggy state.

Those last two points should be resolved now we've added upload QoS properly, is that not the case if you adjust for upload?

Thanks for the list I will pass it onto the team to have a proper look at. I don't have an ETA unfortunately, they would need to look into the issues, reproduce them, fix, test etc 

On 2/17/2024 at 9:41 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Those last two points should be resolved now we've added upload QoS properly, is that not the case if you adjust for upload?

Ok, but as mentioned in previous post, upload adjustment is only available via mobile app, and not via Gen 3 Modem DumaOS internet optimser, even though you said you believe it's all working in the backend, could it be possible there is a conflict with current version of DumaOS using the backend feature that you can't access via DumaOS. As there is something definitely bugging out version 3.3.157 with the current Gen 3 modem. 

My internet congestion control works better over my network without optimser activated and MW3 does not lag spike /Stutter with it disabled. Ive tried multiple settings, nothing changes end result. Happy to try beta firmware if it's an option.

I knew there was an issue, can this be explained? My Upload speed is around 24Mbps yet is using double that and is killing my upload bandwidth. it corrected itself after modem reboot, but I have a feeling that it will come back and may be the cause of all my issues.

Screenshot_20240222_133856.jpg

• Administrators
10 hours ago, MuRF FuRY said:

I knew there was an issue, can this be explained? My Upload speed is around 24Mbps yet is using double that and is killing my upload bandwidth. it corrected itself after modem reboot, but I have a feeling that it will come back and may be the cause of all my issues.

If you have a look at the network usage when this happens do you see anything taking up that much bandwidth?

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you have a look at the network usage when this happens do you see anything taking up that much bandwidth?

No, not one device shows that it's using it. Hense my frustration.

• Administrators

On that mobile interface if you go to Network Activity and the settings there you should be able to show router traffic, if you have that does it then show the usage you're missing?

On 2/23/2024 at 8:34 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

On that mobile interface if you go to Network Activity and the settings there you should be able to show router traffic, if you have that does it then show the usage you're missing?

It only shows device activity when I select the "NOW" option.  On 2 occasions since this last post, it has shown the Telstra modem and my home alarm (which is not monitored) using 40-50Mbps upload even when my connection is meant to only have 22Mbps upload. The funny thing is the Web modem admin DumaOS  Newtwork monitoring does not show the same results as the mobile app. It's all very strange.  

• Administrators
6 hours ago, MuRF FuRY said:

It only shows device activity when I select the "NOW" option.  On 2 occasions since this last post, it has shown the Telstra modem and my home alarm (which is not monitored) using 40-50Mbps upload even when my connection is meant to only have 22Mbps upload. The funny thing is the Web modem admin DumaOS  Newtwork monitoring does not show the same results as the mobile app. It's all very strange.  

This might be a miscommunication between the app (using some aspects of DumaOS 4) and the modem (not using DumaOS 4) so I'll check with the team about that and get back to you but personally I would focus on what the main modem interface shows 

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

This might be a miscommunication between the app (using some aspects of DumaOS 4) and the modem (not using DumaOS 4) so I'll check with the team about that and get back to you but personally I would focus on what the main modem interface shows 

Ok again I will wait patiently. Let me know if you have any more info going forward. Thank for your help. 

I am having a conversation with someone on Reddit Click here who posted a similar issue that I am having, so I am not alone. I keep trying new tests to try and get to the bottom of this and now I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue has to do with Congestion control when set to Auto.

For example, I play Call of duty MW3 and with Auto enabled would get lag spikes, that's why I disable it and it worked better without it, however I would still experience lag spikes but not as bad, obviously there was no congestion control when disabled anyway. So, I changed to Always option and for most part have not had the lag spikes.

I tested this all day yesterday and the Always option worked, no jumps in ping, some minor lag (Server side) but I did not jump from 18 ping to 500ping like I did when it was set to Auto.

So, I believe Congestion control when set to Auto is not functioning correctly.... just my observation, room for thought.

Hi @MuRF FuRY sorry to see the problems you been having but huge appreciation for your persistence and feedback.  We have a new firmware rolling out soon that I can put you on early to try *fingers crossed*.  If you PM me your serial number from the http://192.168.0.1/ login screen, I'll push it through - it will reboot your modem so do call out any times of day *NOT* to push it

6 minutes ago, mannrs said:

Hi @MuRF FuRY sorry to see the problems you been having but huge appreciation for your persistence and feedback.  We have a new firmware rolling out soon that I can put you on early to try *fingers crossed*.  If you PM me your serial number from the http://192.168.0.1/ login screen, I'll push it through - it will reboot your modem so do call out any times of day *NOT* to push it

Just PM you with the detail's thanks.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, MuRF FuRY said:

I am having a conversation with someone on Reddit Click here who posted a similar issue that I am having, so I am not alone. I keep trying new tests to try and get to the bottom of this and now I have a sneaking suspicion that the issue has to do with Congestion control when set to Auto.

For example, I play Call of duty MW3 and with Auto enabled would get lag spikes, that's why I disable it and it worked better without it, however I would still experience lag spikes but not as bad, obviously there was no congestion control when disabled anyway. So, I changed to Always option and for most part have not had the lag spikes.

I tested this all day yesterday and the Always option worked, no jumps in ping, some minor lag (Server side) but I did not jump from 18 ping to 500ping like I did when it was set to Auto.

So, I believe Congestion control when set to Auto is not functioning correctly.... just my observation, room for thought.

Good catch on that, I'll relay it to the team, hopefully the update mentioned above will help though!

Hey @MuRF FuRY yeah upgrade pushed through - Apologies! I trampled your DumaOS settings by forcing the upgrade (device names, dashboard etc) sorry about that.

Notable change/improvement with this firmware version is that Upload congestion control will follow Auto-Enable, where previously only Download did.  And upload prioritisation should generally be a bit better.  I'd suggest trying using Auto-Enable again, because this will mean when your not gaming all of the connection bandwidth will be available rather than sacrified.

Quick poke around your device before the upgrade and some suggestions; I'd suggest using the web interface http://192.168.0.1/ from your mobile or desktop, rather than the DumaOS app.  We (Telstra) dont specifically advertise or test the Netduma mobile app for use so there will be occasionally feature/functions that dont align with the Telstra firmwares (example being data history), that can make it confusing for you.
And when troubleshooting gaming performance, I'd suggest in the first instance use the default priority rules instead of creating specific ones (unless you have to).  Reason being that DumaOS' receives periodic over the air updates to the app/protocol definitions as game servers/app protocols change, and the DumaOS Classified Games category always inherits those.
If you do need to create specific Traffic Prioritisation rules, be sure to select the Advanced button in the wizard and select traffic type Gaming/Voice.  But the main thing you want to verify when troubleshooting is that your priority traffic (eg. MW3) is triggering priority packet counters as expected against your/or DumaOS Gaming's rule.  And likewise, when generating significant non priority traffic like OneDrive verify (use Network Monitor and drill down on the device) that the data transfer traffic is either classified as Unknown or something like Microsoft or Office365, which DumaOS treats as lower priority than Gaming - so you know that the two traffic types are not both being treated as high priority

image.png

Hoping you have a better run with this version 🤞

4 minutes ago, mannrs said:

Hey @MuRF FuRY yeah upgrade pushed through - Apologies! I trampled your DumaOS settings by forcing the upgrade (device names, dashboard etc) sorry about that.

Notable change/improvement with this firmware version is that Upload congestion control will follow Auto-Enable, where previously only Download did.  And upload prioritisation should generally be a bit better.  I'd suggest trying using Auto-Enable again, because this will mean when your not gaming all of the connection bandwidth will be available rather than sacrified.

Quick poke around your device before the upgrade and some suggestions; I'd suggest using the web interface http://192.168.0.1/ from your mobile or desktop, rather than the DumaOS app.  We (Telstra) dont specifically advertise or test the Netduma mobile app for use so there will be occasionally feature/functions that dont align with the Telstra firmwares (example being data history), that can make it confusing for you.
And when troubleshooting gaming performance, I'd suggest in the first instance use the default priority rules instead of creating specific ones (unless you have to).  Reason being that DumaOS' receives periodic over the air updates to the app/protocol definitions as game servers/app protocols change, and the DumaOS Classified Games category always inherits those.
If you do need to create specific Traffic Prioritisation rules, be sure to select the Advanced button in t and select traffic type Gaming/Voice.

But the main thing you want to verify when troubleshooting is that your priority traffic (eg. MW3) is triggering priority packet counters as expected against your/or DumaOS Gaming's rule.  And likewise, when generating significant non priority traffic like OneDrive verify (use Network Monitor and drill down on the device) that the data transfer traffic is either classified as Unknown or something like Microsoft or Office365, which DumaOS treats as lower priority than Gaming.

image.png

Hoping you have a better run with this version 🤞

Thanks @mannrs I have reset DumaOS and have set to Auto-enable and will use the preset Traffic Prioritisation for my testing. Ill report back with some detailed feedback by the weekend.

• MuRF FuRY changed the title to DumaOS Version   3.3.157 Issues - latency Spikes/Beta Firmware