Gen 3 WiFI Disconnection Issue when assigning static IP

I use a Telstra 3 Gen Modem, as well as a Gen 3 Booster. I seem to have this problem that causes my Booster to reboot every time I change device names and apply a static IP address through the DumaOS & Modem Settings, even if the device is not connected to the Booster itself. Is there a reason for this or is this a possible bug?

Also, if my device IP are not set to a static IP and then the IP lease causes a change in IP address on a device, I believe my booster does the same thing as above, as I get regular dropouts from booster only. 

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Administrators

Just to check, if you don't have the booster connected and you change the names/apply a static IP I assume it all works without issue? If so it sounds like an issue with the booster more likely, does it have an interface you can change any settings on? I would assume not. It may be best to contact Telstra about it directly as they may have encountered this before.

Yes, it's only when booster is connected, Modem doesn't drop out, just the booster. I might do a factory reset of booster and see if that helps.

This issue is odd. It appears that the booster only sometimes reboots when changing device names and assigning static IP addresses. I have since discovered that sometimes it's just google nest devices disconnecting. If I assign a static IP and change device name to any other device that are not a google devices, my google nest devices will still disconnect. With the testing I have done it's a little inconsistent.

• Administrators

That is strange, does the booster combine the WiFi bands into one? As I know some wireless devices don't like being switched between bands, perhaps that might be something to do with it, and so connecting to 2.4 or 5GHz specifically might help

I already have the Wi-Fi Split into separate bands, so it's not that. I think there is an issue with the device manager in DumaOS. I will do further test with Internet optimizer turned off and just use the Telstra Modems settings to change device names and seem if that does the same thing. I'll give you an update with my findings in the next few days.

• MuRF FuRY changed the title to Gen 3 WiFI Disconnection Issue when assigning static IP

Update: It's not a booster issue after all. I believe that when I assign a static IP address to any device it disconnects my WI-FI devices, whether it's on the main modem or the booster. Hence the title changes in the title of this post.

• Administrators

Do they regain connection again immediately? Although it makes sense so they can get the new IP it shouldn't kick you off immediately, should just get the new IP when it next connects, unless you've disabled DHCP as well?

4 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Do they regain connection again immediately? Although it makes sense so they can get the new IP it shouldn't kick you off immediately, should just get the new IP when it next connects, unless you've disabled DHCP as well?

This is strange. I now know it's not the booster causing this, I just tested it without the booster connected and it did the following: Added static IP address via smart modem settings for my mobile phone, which is connected via Wi-Fi, within 20 sec from what I could tell, I lost Wi-Fi connection to 2 google nest devices. I also know that my son's laptop and Xbox also have disconnected on other tests. I do not loose internet to hardwired devices as they are still connected, and the modem has not rebooted. It's not a major issue, but since I have recently factory reset modem due to other issues I have had to rename and add static IP addresses for all my devices again, so this is very annoying and i don't remember this happening in the past.

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you could grab the logs from the router after you've made the issue happen that should tell us more

I have included the log as soon as it disconnects WI-FI and the also included the log when it reconnects WI-FI

Going by the time difference it's about 20sec disconnection period..... 08:16:14 - 16 08:16:34

I wait for your reply. Again, thanks for your help.

Disconnectlog-1705353406944.txt reconectlog-1705353439902.txt

• Administrators

Thank you for that, I'm not a dev but to me it looks like setting a static/reserved IP is DHCP to renew the lease constantly, I'll pass it onto the team to have a look. 

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Thank you for that, I'm not a dev but to me it looks like setting a static/reserved IP is DHCP to renew the lease constantly, I'll pass it onto the team to have a look. 

I don't have much knowledge regarding reading the logs but tend to agree it appears as though the IP Lease is renewing each time. Which shouldn't happen.

I'll wait to hear back from you.