"Couldn't Ping Server"

TheMW2Ghost

I've used Polygon to cover some area for MWIII - and all games thus far have said "couldn't ping server" - so haven'\t been able to see any info for the I'm on. Is this a bug or? Filter mode is on by default and i've left it on.

EDIT: Has randomly started working now!

.Screenshot2023-12-16at19_39_25.thumb.png.4f7919dc8fe94bf682b03e1aedc076be.png

Ok, it is very hit and miss. It worked after this post then basically says "couldn't ping server" mostly after that. Today is the same, it is not pinging a lot of the servers i am playing on, and i'm also getting in a lot of matches in foreign countries, even tho my polygon is only UK. 

I'm also noticing im getting in servers outside of my drawn location.Screenshot2023-12-16at21_30_35.thumb.png.42f1cf2c1d72a28311889a3c5f12ec55.png

Brilliant. I'm using 'simple'  if that's what you mean - haven't seen an actual ping assist section. I could'nt get the Target Ping to display any lower than 10ms so lefft it on that, but am using the Simple Mode

Screenshot2023-12-17at18_25_32.png.41f0ce559e17e996e9620fec421cd452.png

this part here - it says 'couldnt ping host" in a match. it often says 'inactive' too while im in a party or match. Also not sure if its just the game servers atm or not, but i havent had any very low ping games recently, i got a lot of 3ms/5/ms under 10ms ping games, but it has always been around 20ms 

Screenshot2023-12-17at21_20_23.png.27eb4b2ea322d03c9761287b04319be7.png

• Administrators

It showing higher is the work of Steady Ping, giving you a solid 18ms throughout the entire game absorbing those spikes/raises in ping that you see there so it doesn't affect you, giving you a more smooth experience. I will pass onto the team about it not always showing and we'll look into it, thank you for the report!

• Administrators

The devs would like to organize a remote session to take a look at this issue with you further tomorrow, please follow these instructions:

1. Download Anydesk from here: https://anydesk.com/en-gb/downloads/windows
  2. Ensure you are connected to the R3 and on the router interface and are able to attempt game searches at the same time at the session
  3. Let us know here when you're ready tomorrow
  4. Me or dev will ask you to PM them the Anydesk ID at the top of the program

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The devs would like to organize a remote session to take a look at this issue with you further tomorrow, please follow these instructions:

1. Download Anydesk from here: https://anydesk.com/en-gb/downloads/windows
  2. Ensure you are connected to the R3 and on the router interface and are able to attempt game searches at the same time at the session
  3. Let us know here when you're ready tomorrow
  4. Me or dev will ask you to PM them the Anydesk ID at the top of the program

Hey - that's fine - I can do that, what time is best for you guys tmrw? Preferably 12pm onwards. 

I'll download the Anydesk now. Cheers

• Members

I looked into it and it has the same 2 issues that I've seen today already, both bugs and they need to be fixed.

• The UI fails to parse Steady Ping data and it gets stuck in "Stabilizing" state for a long time, even if the game is stabilized

• When we start pinging it gets stuck establishing a ping for a long time instead of getting a ping (or not) between 1-5 seconds. That's why the UI is in the loading (Waiting for host) state for a long time

6 hours ago, Netduma Greg said:

I looked into it and it has the same 2 issues that I've seen today already, both bugs and they need to be fixed.

• The UI fails to parse Steady Ping data and it gets stuck in "Stabilizing" state for a long time, even if the game is stabilized

• When we start pinging it gets stuck establishing a ping for a long time instead of getting a ping (or not) between 1-5 seconds. That's why the UI is in the loading (Waiting for host) state for a long time

Please forgive what might sound like an obvious question. Should being able to ping the server always be something the router can do, and is stabilised the desired goal for the geofilter?

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, Mrbchambers said:

Please forgive what might sound like an obvious question. Should being able to ping the server always be something the router can do, and is stabilised the desired goal for the geofilter?

There will be times when the router isn't actually able to ping the server so if you see that message - could not ping server it's likely correct. It's more so an issue when it's trying to but is stuck loading as above.

I would say it stabilizing the ping successfully is the optimum outcome, though it may not always be possible - it's most successful on CoD and Halo in our findings. As people have mentioned to us, the increase in ping can be seen as an issue if you don't understand why it's happening. We'll likely look into disabling this by default and additionally trying to educate people on why it is a good thing in the tour for example. 

6 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

There will be times when the router isn't actually able to ping the server so if you see that message - could not ping server it's likely correct. It's more so an issue when it's trying to but is stuck loading as above.

I would say it stabilizing the ping successfully is the optimum outcome, though it may not always be possible - it's most successful on CoD and Halo in our findings. As people have mentioned to us, the increase in ping can be seen as an issue if you don't understand why it's happening. We'll likely look into disabling this by default and additionally trying to educate people on why it is a good thing in the tour for example. 

COD feels as if it is playing better when the router can ping the host, this may just be the placebo effect; though I do feel that not as many people are flying round the screen, like Billy Whizz.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Mrbchambers said:

COD feels as if it is playing better when the router can ping the host, this may just be the placebo effect; though I do feel that not as many people are flying round the screen, like Billy Whizz.

Okay that's interesting, in theory it shouldn't matter, do let us know if you continue to believe that to be the case

Edited by Netduma Fraser
missed the n't how annoying!

• Members

By default none of the COD servers allow pinging directly, when pinging happens on the UI for them we are doing additional work to do that. It should not influence gameplay in any way (sorry @Netduma Fraser I have to correct you there).

The Stabilised state for Steady Ping is the only thing that directly influences the gameplay.

Some details on what Steady Ping does exactly and why is it working even when we can't ping:

Ping is always a request->response and we measure the time for this roundtrip. Steady Ping on the other hand just sitting on your router and processing the response part. Your game server sends these in perfectly uniform intervals (this interval is the tickrate), but when they reach you the intervals are not so uniform because of the internet. So what Steady Ping does that it applies an additional delay (this is what you see in the graph) so it has a window of time where it can make these responses arrive in order and in uniform intervals to your PC/Console, so in the game everything appears as smooth as the server intended. (Disclaimer: Ping and game traffic are different types of traffic in reality, but the mechanism is the same to process them)

This is the reason why even if we can't ping (we don't have the request side) everything still works, or even if the ping graph might have a spike you will not see this in game because it might've happened on the request side.

Also this is the reason in-game ping (graphs) are always more accurate.

16 minutes ago, damir117 said:

Why does it always show me 10ms ping in Mw3 on R3 and 40+ms in the game itself. It never shows me the real ping I have in the game.

Snimka zaslona 2023-12-21 192021.png

Game Server Load: The ping displayed in the game may be affected by the current load on the game servers. If the servers are experiencing high traffic or are under heavy load, it can result in increased ping times.

Game Settings: Some games, including MW3, may use different methods or algorithms to calculate and display ping in-game. This can lead to variations compared to other tools or devices used to measure ping (ie R3)