Best Internet connection for better ping

Techgodrachit

Hi!

So does download speed make any difference in the ping? I have a 8 Mbps connection.

Do you think the I can still get good ping using the Netduma Geo filter?

I've got another internet connection which is a LTE hotspot.

It gives speeds of 15 Mbps and up. Do you think it will be better if I use this?

However I get a strict Nat type with it.

I guess you can port forward to solve that. Thanks!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks for the support Iain, Luke and the entire Netduma team!

The width of the band makes no difference to ping times , How many hops and congestion does.

Do a ping test using the command prompt.

Press start click or search for run / type cmd / in the pop out box type/ ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100

This will ping google one hundred times so you can check your ping over time.

Guest Netduma_Iain

hehe I think the duma is getting everyone to be a network engineer as well :) While we're listing tools don't forget iperf, netstat, ipfw, netcat, I'm kidding those tools won't help here :)

hehe I think the duma is getting everyone to be a network engineer as well :) While we're listing tools don't forget iperf, netstat, ipfw, netcat, I'm kidding those tools won't help here :)

that is so ture when i stated here i knew nothing i still am that way bot now i know a bit more and i find it intersting

The width of the band makes no difference to ping times , How many hops and congestion does.

Do a ping test using the command prompt.

Press start click or search for run / type cmd / in the pop out box type/ ping 8.8.8.8 -n 100

This will ping google one hundred times so you can check your ping over time.

Thanks! So basically whichever connection is more stable, that would be better regardless of bandwith..

Also one of them being a mobile network, don't you think that may be less stable!

Thanks for the response, you're awesome!

Test them both out and see which performs the best so lowest ping and best jitter ( jitter the difference between the best and worst ping time ) A low jitter is the best.

I would have thought the mobile wouldnt be the best for gaming on but we will see.

Test them both out and see which performs the best so lowest ping and best jitter ( jitter the difference between the best and worst ping time ) A low jitter is the best.

I would have thought the mobile wouldnt be the best for gaming on but we will see.

Alright the mobile connection I did 2 tests with only that connected to my pc:

1. Minimum - 23 ms  Maximum 111 ms and Average 28 ms

2. Minimum 24 ms, Maximum 74 ms and Average 37 ms

The ADSL connection, exactly the same setup:

1. Minimum  - 30 ms Maximum - 33 ms  and Average: 31 ms

So I guess the jitter is minimum in the ADSL connection..

But at times the mobile gives better ping..

Also sometimes when I play the LTE connection I get similar ping. But the jitter is really high but I don't seem to experience that when I play in Advanced Warfare.

Any reason for that?

I guess the ADSL is much better considering the jitter and ping is fairly low :)

Thanks for the help!

Guest Netduma_Iain

1. Minimum - 23 ms  Maximum 111 ms and Average 28 ms

2. Minimum 24 ms, Maximum 74 ms and Average 37 ms

Do NOT use the mobile one.  Remember wireless is only better than wired for one thing, its not a wire. All other peformance metrics the wire will spank it silly

I know it has already been said, but sometimes these things need re-enforced.

DO NOT USE MOBILE INTERNET FOR GAMING :P

But you could get away with it if it was your only choice. But ADSL might have a slightly higher ping, but it will be more consistent. 

Yeah even if your ping on adsl was 50 with hardly any jitter it is better than mobile at 30 - 100.

IMO It can do two things the game tests your ping and see's it as 100ms then it sorts it self out back to 30ms for the rest of the game and you get 70ms lag comp and you get god mode, or the game tests your ping and it sees it as 30ms then you have 10 mins of bad latency giving you 100 ms or more and you can not kill a thing with 70ms anti- lag comp.

It kills the game for other users and drives me nuts when they have god mode lol.

These views are from my findings during testing.

Yeah even if your ping on adsl was 50 with hardly any jitter it is better than mobile at 30 - 100.

IMO It can do two things the game tests your ping and see's it as 100ms then it sorts it self out back to 30ms for the rest of the game and you get 70ms lag comp and you get god mode, or the game tests your ping and it sees it as 30ms then you have 10 mins of bad latency giving you 100 ms or more and you can not kill a thing with 70ms anti- lag comp.

It kills the game for other users and drives me nuts when they have god mode lol.

These views are from my findings during testing.

i complete agree and because lag comp is build in the game system consistency its the way to go so yes wire you gaming console i am working on my jittery cause i have high jittery during peaky time just discovered that lately   

I know it has already been said, but sometimes these things need re-enforced.

DO NOT USE MOBILE INTERNET FOR GAMING :P

But you could get away with it if it was your only choice. But ADSL might have a slightly higher ping, but it will be more consistent. 

Agreed, anything hardwired into the ISPs backbone will have the lowest Latency...

Mobile Internet has to do it's first hop or two over the air (using LTE) and thereby is going to have added latency and packet drops

Best connection for ping is fiber followed by cable, DSL/ADSL and mobile.

Fiber is a very clean cable with very little noise. It's also extremely expensive (one reel can cost about $100k). Because of that you won't see contractors attach it to an atv and go zipping through a field. They also won't leave it lying across driveways to get run over time and again like with phone or coax lines.

Best connection for ping is fiber followed by cable, DSL/ADSL and mobile.

Fiber is a very clean cable with very little noise. It's also extremely expensive (one reel can cost about $100k). Because of that you won't see contractors attach it to an atv and go zipping through a field. They also won't leave it lying across driveways to get run over time and again like with phone or coax lines.

An optical fiber (or optical fibre) is a flexible, transparent fiber made of extruded glass (silica) or plastic, slightly thicker than a human hair

so the real issue with running it is terminating it, splicing it, and most importantly you can't bend it more than ~80% before it cracks internally and is ruined.

When a fiber trunk is cut it takes professionals weeks to repair...they have to redo both sides (polish like glass) make a female terminator and then make a small connector to replace the cut section...

fiber is growing all over the world and in the US but it isn't everywhere yet because of the difficulty of installation, most importantly due to lawsuits filed by cable and ADSL companies.

Most Cable and ADSL companies when they installed in your city made a contract with your city to have 80% coverage within 2 years, fiber companies can't make this promise as it takes longer to install and costs much much more...

because of this it is normal for a fiber company to request 5 years to get 70% coverage, Cable companies have been suing cities because they are calling this an unfair advantage to the fiber company since the contracts aren't identical...

it's a sad sad world we live in...someday we'll all have fiber, because nothing travels faster than the speed of light.

Fiber is so fast that they haven't even started using colors in the line to allow for multiple bits to be sent down the line at once, because it would slow down the connection due to processing.

Do NOT use the mobile one. Remember wireless is only better than wired for one thing, its not a wire. All other peformance metrics the wire will spank it silly

The mobile one I have is wired.. So basically it's one of those zte routers where you plug in the sim and there are 4 Ethernet ports at the back. I can hard wire my devices in that way.

so the real issue with running it is terminating it, splicing it, and most importantly you can't bend it more than ~80% before it cracks internally and is ruined.

When a fiber trunk is cut it takes professionals weeks to repair...they have to redo both sides (polish like glass) make a female terminator and then make a small connector to replace the cut section...

fiber is growing all over the world and in the US but it isn't everywhere yet because of the difficulty of installation, most importantly due to lawsuits filed by cable and ADSL companies.

Most Cable and ADSL companies when they installed in your city made a contract with your city to have 80% coverage within 2 years, fiber companies can't make this promise as it takes longer to install and costs much much more...

because of this it is normal for a fiber company to request 5 years to get 70% coverage, Cable companies have been suing cities because they are calling this an unfair advantage to the fiber company since the contracts aren't identical...

it's a sad sad world we live in...someday we'll all have fiber, because nothing travels faster than the speed of light.

Fiber is so fast that they haven't even started using colors in the line to allow for multiple bits to be sent down the line at once, because it would slow down the connection due to processing.

The costs of tools are incredible for fiber. One person posted in a forum I frequent asking about a splicing tool that a fiber company left behind. He said that he called them to let them know he had it and they actually told him to keep it. I let him know that the last time I talking to a fiber installer that tool cost $20,000 USD.

The company I work for had an employee die of a heart attack in between two fiber lines. The EMTs told them they needed to shut the line down so they could get in and wheel him out. They told him no way....they would have to wait until that length was done.

With regular coax T&D or QR lines the signal is actually very good. The problem is in installation. Any little dent or crinkle in the aluminum shielf causes return loss. How they cut the cable to splice it can also degrade the signal. I'm not sure of other companies, but a passing grade for T&D is 30db @ 1-1000mhz. For the stuff that plugs into your home and your television the quality changes immensely. This is why China manufactures most of that cable and the company I work for here in the U.S. manufactures most of the coax.

I'd say that a big problem working against fiber here in the U.S. is the cable companies themselves. I'm quite certain that they have worked themselves in quite nicely with politicians in this country. Cable companies basically franchise out whole towns where they have no competition and there is no point in dumping tons of money into providing the best service for their customers.

I remember moving into a house that didn't have cable serice at that house, but the neighbors had it. I didn't want satellite so I called them up and asked for installation. They told me it would be $1200 and I hung up. A few days later I called them up and told them that I had the cable for the installation. They told me that it would still be $1200. I said that I'll dig the trench, lay the cable and all they would have to do is hook it up. They told me $1200 and I hung up and got satellite. If cable companies had competition beyond satellite it would be much different.

The mobile one I have is wired.. So basically it's one of those zte routers where you plug in the sim and there are 4 Ethernet ports at the back. I can hard wire my devices in that way.

It is still like a phones data plan and you did post the ping results and it had high jitter (the lowest to highest ping in a time frame , you need as low as possible) , jitter will be bad for your gaming.

Archived