Best Internet connection for better ping

Techgodrachit

I'd say that a big problem working against fiber here in the U.S. is the cable companies themselves. I'm quite certain that they have worked themselves in quite nicely with politicians in this country. Cable companies basically franchise out whole towns where they have no competition and there is no point in dumping tons of money into providing the best service for their customers.

I remember moving into a house that didn't have cable serice at that house, but the neighbors had it. I didn't want satellite so I called them up and asked for installation. They told me it would be $1200 and I hung up. A few days later I called them up and told them that I had the cable for the installation. They told me that it would still be $1200. I said that I'll dig the trench, lay the cable and all they would have to do is hook it up. They told me $1200 and I hung up and got satellite. If cable companies had competition beyond satellite it would be much different.

Monopolies are seldom good for the customer :(

The mobile one I have is wired.. So basically it's one of those zte routers where you plug in the sim and there are 4 Ethernet ports at the back. I can hard wire my devices in that way.

perhaps I wasn't clear enough, the connection to the the ISP backbone needs to be wired.  your internal connection being wired is also important, but if it goes from wired to wireless to the Internet (ISP) then you are going to get lag, packet lose, and a lot of jitter.

Interesting gunzby

It is a pretty neat job.

A few months ago they sent me to another plant that primarily makes network cables. I was operating a line making steel braided cat5e cable in lengths of 500m. Any time I had to test it I had to run an experimental length of 100m, test both ends and then toss it all into a scrap box. I kept thinking about how much money I could make selling this stuff

It is a pretty neat job.

A few months ago they sent me to another plant that primarily makes network cables. I was operating a line making steel braided cat5e cable in lengths of 500m. Any time I had to test it I had to run an experimental length of 100m, test both ends and then toss it all into a scrap box. I kept thinking about how much money I could make selling this stuff

lol indeed, I thought cat5e only went 100 meters MAX without using repeaters

lol indeed, I thought cat5e only went 100 meters MAX without using repeaters

I think the test footage was 324 feet which is almost 100m. It was high dollar braid too...not that nylon stuff. For some crazy reason the customers would only take it at 500m. Anything less and the whole reel was scrap.

I made a lot of another network cable for cell towers and they would take from 125' to 2000'

Guest Netduma_Iain

This is a fascinating thread my practical knowledge pretty much stops at the physical layer. I've written many drivers so I have a mental abstraction of the physical end but know little about the realities of it. Very interesting stuff indeed.

Gunzby your first part isn't totally correct as copper in most short distance situations pings better then fibre, cant handle large data over distance but does ping better.

But in a network sense hell yea fibre wins every time.

Gunzby your first part isn't totally correct as copper in most short distance situations pings better then fibre, cant handle large data over distance but does ping better.

But in a network sense hell yea fibre wins every time.

what distance as we talking about? I can't imagine it would be more than 100' because of the speed of light versus, the transfer of electrical current....hurm (just thinking out loud)

Archived