Terrible Bufferbloat, no matter what I try.. (XR450)

I'm looking more into your gateway selection. From research, I wonder if you're using the Puma 7 Gateway. Xfinity, like Spectrum, has both Broadcom gateways and PUMA(intel) gateways. Puma causes issues with packet loss and extreme ping spikes.  

Looking at some of the newer gateways/modems, Xfinity has XB6 (which older but has the broadcom) before gigabit package but is stable.

The newer, XB7, has two versions. XB7-A, this one is PUMA, you're going to have issues. Normal browsing and download, non-gaming activities, this is perfect. But not for gaming. |
XB7-T, this is broadcom based and this is the one for gaming.

Then there's also XB8, the newest.  Same situation like XB7, you have XB8-A which is PUMA(BAD) and XB8-T which is broadcom (GOOD). 

Another way of looking at this is the manufacturer. HITRON is PUMA, which is not good for gaming. TECHNICOLOR is Broadcom, which is good for gaming.

From what I'm noticing, US-based, MAJOR (copper) ISP's deal with these as I too also deal with them with Spectrum. I finally was able to get a TECHNICOLOR modem from my ISP, but I had to call them to send me one. Because, LOCALLY, none of their stores had them and I traveled MILES on MILES trying to find a TECHNICOLOR MODEM/GATEWAY. To finally just upgrading my internet to GIGABIT, calling them and telling them I'm not getting my speeds, and they FINALLY sent me a Technicolor Modem/Gateway. I have my OWN modem, but, I have a theory regarding US-Based residential Major ISP when it comes to gaming.

All this to say, if you can, get you an XB7-T or XB8-T, please do so. It will help alleviate a lot of your problems.

Just to show you what I mean. THIS IS NO QOS/Congestion Control. I use Congestion Control to stabilize while gaming. But again, this is NO CC/QOS enabled. This is with the TECHNICOLOR modem/gateway from my ISP.

NoQOS_2023-08-27_09-34-05.thumb.jpg.c5dfa60ae8d111f7166f4ebfa7b7c3ba.jpg

LASTLY, Just to show you a pingplotter graph. To the left  of the chart with a BROADCOM modem at 5/18/2023 12:00PM. You can see the "STRAIGHT LINE" line on the left. But, AFTER, 12:00PM when I added my PUMA modem the LINE IS GOING UP AND DOWN like a WAVE length. THIS IS BAD.
(The BIG red lines are just me unplugging and replugging the modems.)

Screenshot2023-05-19122025.thumb.png.5ee3fdd2f1315fd511ede1c79578448d.png.d20ec45e56ade0b4082549ba6878d36d.png

• Administrators
7 hours ago, RouterUser said:

Yes, I have. My thoughts exactly. That’s why I hard reset the router between one of those, too. I was like.. this doesn’t seem to be changing the speeds or outcomes. 

Are you using anything else like PPPoE or VLAN at all?

1 hour ago, TrayDay said:

I'm looking more into your gateway selection. From research, I wonder if you're using the Puma 7 Gateway. Xfinity, like Spectrum, has both Broadcom gateways and PUMA(intel) gateways. Puma causes issues with packet loss and extreme ping spikes.  

Looking at some of the newer gateways/modems, Xfinity has XB6 (which older but has the broadcom) before gigabit package but is stable.

The newer, XB7, has two versions. XB7-A, this one is PUMA, you're going to have issues. Normal browsing and download, non-gaming activities, this is perfect. But not for gaming. |
XB7-T, this is broadcom based and this is the one for gaming.

Then there's also XB8, the newest.  Same situation like XB7, you have XB8-A which is PUMA(BAD) and XB8-T which is broadcom (GOOD). 

Another way of looking at this is the manufacturer. HITRON is PUMA, which is not good for gaming. TECHNICOLOR is Broadcom, which is good for gaming.

From what I'm noticing, US-based, MAJOR (copper) ISP's deal with these as I too also deal with them with Spectrum. I finally was able to get a TECHNICOLOR modem from my ISP, but I had to call them to send me one. Because, LOCALLY, none of their stores had them and I traveled MILES on MILES trying to find a TECHNICOLOR MODEM/GATEWAY. To finally just upgrading my internet to GIGABIT, calling them and telling them I'm not getting my speeds, and they FINALLY sent me a Technicolor Modem/Gateway. I have my OWN modem, but, I have a theory regarding US-Based residential Major ISP when it comes to gaming.

All this to say, if you can, get you an XB7-T or XB8-T, please do so. It will help alleviate a lot of your problems.

Just to show you what I mean. THIS IS NO QOS/Congestion Control. I use Congestion Control to stabilize while gaming. But again, this is NO CC/QOS enabled. This is with the TECHNICOLOR modem/gateway from my ISP.

NoQOS_2023-08-27_09-34-05.thumb.jpg.c5dfa60ae8d111f7166f4ebfa7b7c3ba.jpg

LASTLY, Just to show you a pingplotter graph. To the left  of the chart with a BROADCOM modem at 5/18/2023 12:00PM. You can see the "STRAIGHT LINE" line on the left. But, AFTER, 12:00PM when I added my PUMA modem the LINE IS GOING UP AND DOWN like a WAVE length. THIS IS BAD.
(The BIG red lines are just me unplugging and replugging the modems.)

Screenshot2023-05-19122025.thumb.png.5ee3fdd2f1315fd511ede1c79578448d.png.d20ec45e56ade0b4082549ba6878d36d.png

Thanks for this info! I actually use my own modem, the Arris S33, and did find out it does not have the puma chipset. 

6 hours ago, Fuzy said:

just in case, if you have a realtek ethernet card integrated into your CM, changing the drivers may help!

CM??

on my gaming computer, I have the option of intel ethernet or Killer ethernet

9 hours ago, Fuzy said:

In this case it is normal to have lower speeds in ipv4, because the ABB was set... (cursors on always)

It's just that ipv6 is not taken into account because it is passtrought (on the WAN) and bypasses the QOS etc functionality that is on the LAN!

Disabling ipv6 and even having the congestion control set to never still halves my download speed on speed tests. Upload stays the same. I’m unsure why. 

EDIT: ACTUALLY, here it is again. I disabled ipv6 and turned to "never" on congestion control in DumaOS and this was the result. I go from 850-900mb download speed (paying for 1200mbps, mind you) and this is how the download turns into. Upload stays the same, yet goes way down in latency? Which is also confusing.

(Edit 2: So I turned it back to auto detect, which, I think is what it was, default?? I'm not sure if auto detect or auto config.. But I put auto detect for now)

2023-08-27 12_47_26-Bufferbloat and Internet Speed Test - Waveform.png

On 8/27/2023 at 7:52 PM, RouterUser said:

CM??

on my gaming computer, I have the option of intel ethernet or Killer ethernet

CM... Fr sorry MB = motherboard.

The ethernet killer software is not a good thing because it can overwrite the connection (this will duplicate the QoS duma)

I also noticed that my Realtek 2.5Gb Ethernet card integrated into my MB was getting bad results on the speed tests, probably linked either to a bad driver or simply not suitable for W11!

On 8/27/2023 at 1:24 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you reset Bandwidth Allocation, then see if you get closer to your expected speeds with just IPv4 please?

Here you are

Edit: After a bunch of testing after the reset you suggested, the same outcomes are happening. SOMETIMES the sliders are accurate to what I put, and in case, I get some readings I can work with (like 45% download slider, giving me 300-400mb download, and 10-20ms download latency); but other times, even with the sliders at the same position, it will randomly test at that 150-190mbps download speed mark, even though I should be getting the previously stated 300-400mbps speed, to match the sliders which are set to always, etc. So ipv6 off is still causing this weird issue, for me, dropping my speeds randomly and often to the 150-190mbps speed on download (upload stays fine/accurate, it's very weird). When the speed issue happens though, and it tests, say, 170.5mbps, for example, the download active latency is +0ms, and that's when I get my best scores on bufferbloat, haha. No  matter what I do, though, I can't get the upload active latency to go under 8-10ms.. no matter how low or high I set the slider, it stays around 8-10ms.

Setting 'Never' on the congestion control but keeping ipv6 off and this reset bandwidth allocation you suggested puts me at 779.1mbps speed with +36ms latency and the ever-consistent upload of 36.9mbps and +9ms. B score.

Reset everything to where I had it, previously, and I clock 839.5 mbps download with +63ms and the same speed for download as usual, 40.7mbps, but with +49ms latency, instead of 8-10ms like with ipv6 off.. it's strange. And I have no clue what to do or try, at this time.

Just a little more info: I had comcast tech come out again on Sunday.. And I showed him all my logs and info and such.. And he said there's literally nothing he can do.. If there's any issue, it's in the wire/ground/farm.. but nothing that he's able to do.. But my lost packets/lag issue I had previously, at the beginning of all of this, from last week, seems to have been resolved. Not getting any lost packets, anymore.. Just trying to nail down this bufferbloat, now.. As the lost packets/lag I was fighting before apparently had no impact on this bufferbloat stuff.

If it's a new router with newer technology/more ram/better cpu that I need?? I'm down to get one.. Just let me know..

Also, another tidbit of info.. I pay for 1200mbps speeds from comcast... And I have a modem with a 2.5gbps on it.. (Arris S33) that I'm using.. going into this router.. The comcast rep told me that the cat/network cables are only really able to go about the speed I get.. which is the 850-900mbps I cap at.. Which is my issue for not being able to get the 1200mbps speeds I pay for.. But I don't know if that's true or not, either. Just giving you all the info I can, to help you help me :)

Thank you ahead of time.

2023-08-30 23_57_04-Bufferbloat and Internet Speed Test - Waveform.png

2023-08-30 23_57_17-QoS - DumaOS.png

Edited by RouterUser
Added a BUNCH of info

On 8/31/2023 at 7:27 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

On your Arris I know there is a configuration page - does it have any settings you can enable/disable at all? 

On the XR, have you made any custom port forwarding/triggering or DMZ settings at all?

'Configuration page' ?? I see a 'Settings' page, which gives me access to many other sub pages. But I have not gone through it and changed random things, or whatnot. I don't know enough about things to do all that. Port forwarding/triggering/DMZ included. I don't know anything about that stuff. So it's pretty much all default. 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, RouterUser said:

'Configuration page' ?? I see a 'Settings' page, which gives me access to many other sub pages. But I have not gone through it and changed random things, or whatnot. I don't know enough about things to do all that. Port forwarding/triggering/DMZ included. I don't know anything about that stuff. So it's pretty much all default. 

Could you provide a screenshot of the page you're seeing there please?

24 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm saying on the Arris modem interface, not the XR

Ooh... What was the IP link to the modem page? I forgot. I'm not too sure there's any options in there for me to change, though, iirc.

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, RouterUser said:

Ooh... What was the IP link to the modem page? I forgot. I'm not too sure there's any options in there for me to change, though, iirc.

I'm not sure what it is for your model, it likely has a sticker on the underside with that information, it's probably 192.168.0.1 

There won't be many options but I'm hoping it has one option specifically - Energy Efficient Ethernet

9 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I'm not sure what it is for your model, it likely has a sticker on the underside with that information, it's probably 192.168.0.1 

There won't be many options but I'm hoping it has one option specifically - Energy Efficient Ethernet

I see it. It's disabled. 

8 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When the speeds are lower than they should be, could you take a look at the Network Monitor please and see if there is anything else using a significant amount of bandwidth at that time?

Tried that. It's very inconsistent. Nothing else is using my internet at that time. And when I've been streaming lately, sometimes 8-10 hours a day, 0 dropped frames/packet loss. So it's not that related, either. I'm really at a loss at what to do/try to fix this bufferbloat issue.