Terrible Bufferbloat, no matter what I try.. (XR450)

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Connection Benchmark isn't likely to show your speeds accurately but what do they show? It may be worth setting scheduled tests for Benchmark say every hour or so to see if it's picking up this instability as well.

It's always been this way, in ipv4, for me. I noticed it years ago, too. Thought ipv4 was just busted. So I've used ipv6 since then, and had no issues. It does not change in speeds like it does when I turn ipv6 off. Stable connection. Just trying to get that bufferbloat under control.

• Administrators

Your ISP may be prioritizing IPv6 over IPv4, as for the bufferbloat issue with IPv6 I think that's due to a bug we're currently looking at. I wouldn't worry too much about your bufferbloat score. Bufferbloat/lag only occurs when the connection is saturated and with Congestion Control enabled that can't happen.

3 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Your ISP may be prioritizing IPv6 over IPv4, as for the bufferbloat issue with IPv6 I think that's due to a bug we're currently looking at. I wouldn't worry too much about your bufferbloat score. Bufferbloat/lag only occurs when the connection is saturated and with Congestion Control enabled that can't happen.

Really?? What can I do? The techs didn't seem to know anything about anything. I really want a lower bufferbloat score =[ 

I stream, so some of my connection is always being used.. So I know it's a thing. Makes games like valorant tough, because I get the small added delay when seeing/shooting, etc.

• Administrators
58 minutes ago, RouterUser said:

Really?? What can I do? The techs didn't seem to know anything about anything. I really want a lower bufferbloat score =[ 

I stream, so some of my connection is always being used.. So I know it's a thing. Makes games like valorant tough, because I get the small added delay when seeing/shooting, etc.

As in a bug on our side which we'll resolve. That's what I mean, having a good bufferbloat score won't necessarily result in an improved experience if you're experiencing bufferbloat at that time if you see what I mean. For the delay you're talking about people often try forcing servers further away which can help and some try throttling their speeds severely.

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As in a bug on our side which we'll resolve. That's what I mean, having a good bufferbloat score won't necessarily result in an improved experience if you're experiencing bufferbloat at that time if you see what I mean. For the delay you're talking about people often try forcing servers further away which can help and some try throttling their speeds severely.

Ah.. I see. So.. what can I do, for now? nothing? :(

Newer router with better cpu/more ram won't help my cause?

• Administrators

If you're concerned with the score then yes you'll need to wait for the fix I mentioned. Otherwise try the other suggestions and see if that helps with the delay - I don't think it's related to your bufferbloat score at all.

It's not a case of better hardware in this instance.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you're concerned with the score then yes you'll need to wait for the fix I mentioned. Otherwise try the other suggestions and see if that helps with the delay - I don't think it's related to your bufferbloat score at all.

It's not a case of better hardware in this instance.

Thanks for all the info. Any clue when you think that update will be coming? Or how can I 'subscribe' somewhere to find said update once it releases?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, RouterUser said:

Thanks for all the info. Any clue when you think that update will be coming? Or how can I 'subscribe' somewhere to find said update once it releases?

We don't give out any ETAs, there is a new firmware on the way which shouldn't be much longer, no sure if it includes a fix for that or not atm. Just keep an eye out on the Nighthawk Support sub forum here and we'll post it there. 

11 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

We don't give out any ETAs, there is a new firmware on the way which shouldn't be much longer, no sure if it includes a fix for that or not atm. Just keep an eye out on the Nighthawk Support sub forum here and we'll post it there. 

Not sure what to look for, but I'll try to keep an eye out. Thanks for trying to help me! 

• Administrators
On 9/6/2023 at 2:26 AM, RouterUser said:

Not sure what to look for, but I'll try to keep an eye out. Thanks for trying to help me! 

It'll be a topic with the title "NEW XR1000 Firmware" or something similar and will be pinned to the top

• 2 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 7:14 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

It'll be a topic with the title "NEW XR1000 Firmware" or something similar and will be pinned to the top

Any updates on anything coming in for this, yet? I've stayed checking the 'check for update' in the firmware section of DumaOS, as well. Nothing, yet.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, RouterUser said:

Any updates on anything coming in for this, yet? I've stayed checking the 'check for update' in the firmware section of DumaOS, as well. Nothing, yet.

It's unlikely to be shown on the router, nothing yet but it is being worked on, should be this year

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Jackal235 said:

XR1000 does not support congestion control on PPPoE connections (especially for the upload traffic).

It's been like this from the very beginning with no hope for the future fix.

here is my:

That's correct, it is something we're hoping to resolve for the next version, I'm pushing very hard for it

15 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's correct, it is something we're hoping to resolve for the next version, I'm pushing very hard for it

You're maybe pushing but the fact is, that for over 2 years, there has been no fix to PPPoE or many other issues for that matter.

There is obviously something very wrong with this company, whether it's financial or capacity problem, people get really frustrated with this incompetent support. 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:41 AM, Jackal235 said:

You're maybe pushing but the fact is, that for over 2 years, there has been no fix to PPPoE or many other issues for that matter.

There is obviously something very wrong with this company, whether it's financial or capacity problem, people get really frustrated with this incompetent support. 

I don't know if I'd call incompetence; however, it does seem that this issue should have been addressed or updated, by now. I do feel it looks like a forever 'keep checking back' type issue. They might mean well, but I've not seen much from DumaOS as far as fixing the issue, goes.

Seems like the real answer is.. Get fiber, or deal with what you got going on. Unfortunately, in my area, there's no fiber. Only this Comcast/Xfinity cable "gig" internet stuff. So, C tier bufferbloat for me, as well.

Get fiber or deal with it is not an answer. If you buy a product you expect to get from it what it's supposed to do.

I have never seen routers supported that badly. The current official Xr1000 firmware with that many bugs is more of the beta than a real deal.

BTW... many of the fiber ISPs, including mine use PPPoE!