Bufferbloat

Alix

Hi just wanted some advice I have changed connection is this bufferbloat I did a hard wire speed test it's saying download is 103ms and between 89.

The upload is between 16ms and 17ms. Went to waveform website and did a bufferbloat test my  score is A but says your Latency increased slightly under load what does that mean please? 

PXL_20230822_104014692.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20230822_104102866~2.jpg

PXL_20230822_103900769~2.jpg

Edited by Alix

@AlixIt means exactly what it says mate you have high latency spikes and low bandwidth so I don't necessarily think they're a fix for this...though you can try decreasing your download slightly and test the results since that seems to be your affected area

Hi !

It's a good question, the tone of some in writing is just difficult to interpret or to their image..!

Regarding your question, it's 2 tests are performed on 2 different servers which could explain the difference between ookla and waveform.

Rely on waveform for your connection bloat test which is more accurate!

31 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

Hi !

It's a good question, the tone of some in writing is just difficult to interpret or to their image..!

Regarding your question, it's 2 tests are performed on 2 different servers which could explain the difference between ookla and waveform.

Rely on waveform for your connection bloat test which is more accurate!

I think speed test was showing bufferbloat to confirmed by waveform 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Alix said:

Do you think the idle ping is high? I know do download and upload ping look nearly the same 

A little but that's probably more to do with the server it's using to test as your speedtest.net ping as low so I think you're all good!

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Alix said:

Is there away of bringing the idle down? or like you say it's the servers 

I think it's the servers based on the speedtest result so you've brought down Ping Under Load to the best level, it will carry over to that low ping if you see what I mean so won't go much higher than it

Hi,  I run the waveform bufferbloat test on my xbox, and as you can see the upload latency looks really bad (117ms). 

Can someone give me some advice please in how I can reduce the upload latency, if possible, on either my R1 or R2 router?

I run a separate pingplotter test and all looked fine with no more than 30ms spike

xboxbufferbloatwaveformtest.thumb.jpg.8cf6e172a051dba1efc95932052bb4eb.jpg

6 hours ago, Cajun72 said:

Hi,  I run the waveform bufferbloat test on my xbox, and as you can see the upload latency looks really bad (117ms). 

Can someone give me some advice please in how I can reduce the upload latency, if possible, on either my R1 or R2 router?

I run a separate pingplotter test and all looked fine with no more than 30ms spike

Hi,

Do you use pppoe? If you have a main router, the best is to put the R2 in DHCP behind for the moment!

image.thumb.png.d063e20ff88bc3b6c2ce470c2679eb52.png

Do the test and tell us your result please!

26 minutes ago, Fuzy said:

Hi,

Do you use pppoe? If you have a main router, the best is to put the R2 in DHCP behind for the moment!

image.thumb.png.d063e20ff88bc3b6c2ce470c2679eb52.png

Do the test and tell us your result please!

Hi. I leave it default - DHCP. The Netduma is the main router and is connected to an openreach modem. 

Shall I keep lowering the upload slider or is there anything else I need to do?  

21 minutes ago, Cajun72 said:

Hi. I leave it default - DHCP. The Netduma is the main router and is connected to an openreach modem. 

Shall I keep lowering the upload slider or is there anything else I need to do?  

If I understand the netduma is behind an ONT (modem openreach)? And you have configured it with your pppoe or MAC Address Cloning identifier on the WAN part to obtain internet access ...or not...

I could see users having this UL result with the R2 on this https test!

Did your ISP provide you with a router?

Can you take a screenshot of your modem please!

Yes the Duma is connected to the openreach modem (see screenshot). 

Sorry not sure what you mean reg: MAC address cloning etc.. ?  I just set up the duma with recommended settings. Both Wifi and wired internet are through the duma.

Yes the ISP is  talk talk who provided the modem.

WIN_20230823_19_06_21_Pro.jpg

Ok, you are on G-Fast (copper line +++)

https://download.huawei.com/dl/download.do?actionFlag=download&nid=DOC1000254586&partNo=6001&mid=SUP_DOC&play=1

I know very little about this "technology" because it is not offered in France.

Try lowering the ul slider and see how the waveform test behaves!

PS : (for information: if your access provider has provided you with FTI identifiers (pppoe), you will probably be able to delete this modem with the R2)... For the planet and your electricity bill😉

3 hours ago, Fuzy said:

PS : (for information: if your access provider has provided you with FTI identifiers (pppoe), you will probably be able to delete this modem with the R2)... For the planet and your electricity bill😉

How will I know if my ISP has provided me with FTI identifiers?