Bufferbloat

Alix

ISP = Internet Service Provider. In this case Talk Talk.

I definitely did not receive notification of this as far as I am aware and to be honest do not know what FTI identifiers mean regarding internet?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Cajun72 said:

ISP = Internet Service Provider. In this case Talk Talk.

I definitely did not receive notification of this as far as I am aware and to be honest do not know what FTI identifiers mean regarding internet?

If you run the test on a PC, do you get similar results to the Xbox or are they much better?

Much the same. See PC screenshot attached. I wanted to do test without adjusting the sliders. Just to confirm this is for the R1 so should I adjust sliders Fraser for upload or is there something else I should do?

waveform pc test 240823.PNG

• Administrators
Just now, Cajun72 said:

Much the same. See PC screenshot attached. I wanted to do test without adjusting the sliders. Just to confirm this is for the R1 so should I adjust sliders Fraser for upload or is there something else I should do?

Yeah adjust it for upload, that's the only option that would eliminate bufferbloat

Ok I'll try that.

Silly question sorry .. if I do this and it reduces upload  bufferbloat, will that help my gaming experience or is it negligible?

Also, the fact I am getting over 100ms latency in the first place would that suggest a problem with my line? 

1 minute ago, Cajun72 said:

Ok I'll try that.

Silly question sorry .. if I do this and it reduces upload  bufferbloat, will that help my gaming experience or is it negligible?

Also, the fact I am getting over 100ms latency in the first place would that suggest a problem with my line? 

Do the test with the cursors (that's the whole point), but indeed I think your line in ul is not very stable (if you are not sending files at the time of the test without the buffer)!

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Cajun72 said:

Ok I'll try that.

Bufferbloat happens when all your bandwidth is being used so if you had a situation where that normally would have occurred then yes, if not then it would play normally. Essentially it ensures that you'll never have any lag caused by other devices.

As above if that's with literally nothing happening on the network then it could indicate a line issue, or it could be your far away from the server used for the test.

Il y a 30 minutes, Alix a dit :

Hi Fraser can you still get bufferbloat even if you are the only one using the internet at the time of the test?. 

If all your devices are behind netduma and you have no spikes during this test, then everything is fine!

image.thumb.png.f255b4e8d2c2e16902c570550296a465.png

18 minutes ago, Alix said:

Netduma definitely helps to steadying the line was strange to see when you have fttp 

Having an FTTP line remains a line shared between several ISP users... so it can suffer from saturation depending on the hours! Like adsl, FTTLa, FTTH etc...

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Alix said:

Hi Fraser can you still get bufferbloat even if you are the only one using the internet at the time of the test?. 

If you're literally just gaming then no but if you have one device downloading while you're playing then yes as downloads will always use as much bandwidth as they can get a hold of.

Like fuzy said a line shared between several ISP user's can suffer from saturation depending on the hours. So I could potentially get bufferbloat even if no one downloads or uses netflix. 

Edited by Alix

unfortunately if the saturations are upstream of your home network, that is to say at the level of your ISP's routers, you cannot do much locally at home apart from informing them so that they increase the hardware capacities at the level saturation point on their side!