Lag no lag more lag

Morning All,

After abit of a wiz's knowledge. Theres something up with my internet causing me lag in warzone. When i dont lag i get like a 19ms ping and no packet loss or symbols.

So i found a fault with my ONT got that replaced an that didnt solve the issue. But heres where it gets weird. I have tried two internet providors both do the same. 

Ive tried 

youfibre > ont > my pc

Bt > ont > my pc

Both seperate lines, both live at the same time, both fibre 1000mbps. Both lag. 

I assumed maybe its my PC, so i got another PC and a ps5 same issue. I thought maybe its my cat6 cable. So i bought a brand new cat6 an run that out. Still the same. I thought maybe the leads not good enough so i bought a cat7 cable. Still the same.

So i do abit of research, although differnet lines (youfibre dont use bt they use there own) here is my questions.

1) Does internet go back to the same hub no matter what company. Internet comes from somewhere so could this be where the issue lies?

2) Can anything interfere with fibre? I know fibre is light, i do know back in the day electrical equipment could interfere with the internet line. But can it do that with light?

3) Could both wires be trapped or kinked underground causing the issues maybe?

Then something weird happens. I have a powercut, everything turns off.... that night i game, NO LAG AT ALL everyone is dying in 3 bullets instead of 20 etc etc nothing changed hardware or software side just a powercut. Also before you think its a router reset ive tried resetting / factory resetting my ONT and router 100000 times. So it cant be that.

Anyway i play for 3 days its perfect! Boom another powercut. Jump back on and its back being really bad... i think ok ok ill just immitate a powercut and turn my electric of. I do that and turn back on an still the game is bad. Tried that 3 times.

Leads me to my next question? Can a IP or something like that, that feeds into my home be the problem? Could it be that when my router reset my ip changed an then it went good. So i went on a good ip.. then when it reset again i went to a bad ip? Is that something that is possible????

Sorry if some of the questions are stupid im just clutching at straws and hoping with that info an internet wiz can say yes 100% thats the incoming IP.

Then i can ring my ISP an let them know.

Would the IP be the same on youfibre and bt? Is there a ip right downn the line that they share which is bad?

Thanks all and sorry for the essay!!

20230728_202640.jpg

• Administrators

I'm assuming this is with a DumaOS router out of the equation? You're literally plugging directly into the ONT?

Do you know if you have FTTC or FTTP fibre? I would assume based on what you said it's Fibre To The Cabinet as that would be where both connections would share a connection point. If that's the case then the only reason I could gather that it would be better when you have a power cut is that other people are also having a power cut and so when it comes back up less people in your area are using the internet which would make sense why you simulating power loss wouldn't work. 

Have you tried playing during non peak times? That would give you a good indication of whether you're experiencing peak time/ISP congestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yeah I thought this, I mentioned to my ISP who have been out MULTIPLE times that it only happens from like 630pm so surely is peak time congestion. I was told by the CEO that they do not have anything like that on their network. I then explained that It only happens between certain times and was told that they have checked the hub or what ever they called it, like where there network comes from and that we are MASSIVELY oversized for our town and that there is no congestion. 

Its weird because they come and test the line at say 3pm, the line has 2 very minor faults on the splice of fibre that he said are nothing to worry about and the issue would be there permanently if it was. They tell me there is no congestion. They tell me everything is fine there end. They are now sending someone to come  check how I have my setup. But i keep telling them It happens when i plug my PC direct into the ONT with nothing else in my house connected at all and i still get the issue.

The weird part for me is on about the 27th-29th of July  it was 100% PERFECT. I turned my electric of on the 27th and  back on and it  went really good.

Then on the 29th i turned the electric back of and on again (Doing electrical work in my home) and it went bad. I tried to re create it by  turning the  electric of and on again and nothing. Could this  be one of 3 things?

1) Could the person who is congesting  me  have been away for them  3 days and it was just coincidence this is when I turned the power off etc.

2) If I turn my power of to the ONT does it send a new IP address over? So could the issue be i'm sharing an IP with someone maybe? Or something on them lines and  that when I turned the power of the 1st time I hit a 'good' IP but then the next  few  restarts changed it to bad ones?

3) Could this be the same as above but with the DNS? 

Something changed when I turned the power of, but I have no idea what.. Ive  asked my ISP to look into them dates to see if anything on my network changed but they never really  talk about it. They just want to send out an Engineer to my home. But I personally think its ISP related and not my home? Because  as i say plugged into ONT is still bad. (I  have tried multiple PC's and multiple ethernet cables into the ONT as well just incase it was my PC/Wire)  

• Administrators

It wouldn't be one person congestion you but rather a lot of people in your area. You wouldn't be sharing an IP with someone but you may be getting new IPs, it depends if you have dynamic or static. You can try changing DNS but I don't think that would be the issue. 

Check the bottom of this guide to do a test for CG-NAT, potentially that might be affecting you negatively - it does make it impossible to get an Open NAT - is that something you've struggled with?

https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000076587-dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-open-nat

• Administrators

You should do it so you're directly connected to the modem/ONT so that would get rid of hop 1, just double check but yes it does seem like you have a CG-NAT, I've also never seen a timeout pinging your own public IP. 

To solve a CG-NAT you'll either need to obtain a static public IP from your ISP (they usually charge for this) or swap to an ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT.

So they changed my IP, below is the email from the ISP

The static IP is more of a "Fixed public IP"  which is linked to your connection from our side, still dynamic on your side in some way.

things have got ALOT better but not perfect / there yet. Instead of packet loss 90% of games im prob looking at 30% now and still can feel some lag.  

Unsure what to do next 😆

• Administrators
1 hour ago, davemarsden132 said:

So they changed my IP, below is the email from the ISP

The static IP is more of a "Fixed public IP"  which is linked to your connection from our side, still dynamic on your side in some way.

things have got ALOT better but not perfect / there yet. Instead of packet loss 90% of games im prob looking at 30% now and still can feel some lag.  

Unsure what to do next 😆

Okay well that's a good sign, goes to show that was actually the issue. Not sure what dynamic on your side in some way is supposed to mean exactly. It might take a little time to settle before it gives a more consistent stable experience but if not may be worth looking at another ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT.

This will allow you to have a full port range 0 to 65535 and not shared against CG-NAT... Open NAT and port forward!

On the other hand, paid for it and more is a scam, it should be a free service on demand!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, davemarsden132 said:

I can pay for a static IP at £5 / month. Do you think this would help? Btw thank you for your help and the time you spend helping me and everyone else. Really appreciate it 💗

Yes most likely it would help, try it for a month and see if you notice a difference, if not just cancel it and potentially look into another ISP

• 2 weeks later...

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dsldevice.home [192.168.1.254]
  2     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  45.92.47.33
  3     5 ms     5 ms     6 ms  172.16.1.123
  4     6 ms     5 ms     5 ms  172.16.2.17
  5    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  172.16.2.16
  6    13 ms    13 ms    12 ms  172.16.0.89
  7    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  45.92.46.107
  8    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  172.16.0.200
  9    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  72.14.223.160
 10    11 ms    11 ms    11 ms  209.85.248.229
 11    12 ms    12 ms    12 ms  209.85.241.93
 12    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Done a TRACERT now they have said they are close to fixing my internet

Does all that look OK? Or is that alot of IP's to the ISP or what ever it is? 

• Administrators

Really depends on your routing/location but I'd say that's okay, I have 2 different connections in the same location with different providers, one has 9 hops with 4ms ping avg and the other 7 hops overall with 13ms avg 

We just cant get to the bottom of the lag haha they keep wanting to send engineers and log onto my PC and all sorts. Latest is he said i was on IPv6 and they said that was the issue. 

I tried again today now on IPv4 and still an issue. 

Plugged direct from PC to ONT still have an issue. I keep telling them the fault has to be in the fibre cable or at the exchange but i dont think there really interested in looking externally. 

No mate they didn't add one for me.

But what is the reason for an IP Causing me lag in game, I mentioned to my ISP before that I recon the IP could be the issue because when I turned power of and back on I recon my router RENEWED with a new IP (Power was down for a good hour). I didn't record it then. 

Now YESTERDAY my game was FINE, I have been recording my IP's because I had a feeling this was the issue. Guess what, my IP had changed! 

I don't understand enough about internet to know whats gone on but why would an IP change suddenly fix my LAG issue? Meaning a STATIC probably would have also fixed the issue? 

This might sound stupid again please bear with me i'm sorry but are IP's shared? is it that i've hit an IP that is shared at the exchange with others? Or something on them lines. OR is it that, that certain RANGE of IP has high usage? So my ISP dosent slow me down at peak times, but high usage of a range of IP could cause issues?

Cheers

• Administrators

CG-NAT can give you issues connecting to servers and players etc but yes, essentially multiple people are sharing an IP address. Based on everything you've mentioned so far, with the IP changing and it then getting better etc would lead me to believe that obtaining a static public IP for yourself that just you are using would significantly improve your experience.

• 3 weeks later...