Bufferbloat significantly higher with QoS ON vs off (XR1000)

XR1000 1.0.0.64_1.0.49
I have been messing with settings and pulling my hair out trying to figure out this QoS stuff. Maybe I'm missing a silly setting somewhere.
I get significantly worse scores on waveform with QoS ON compared to QoS OFF

I have tried turning on and off traffic prioritization, I have moved the sliders around, I have moved the allocation around, no matter what I do, the score on waveform is WAY worse with QoS enabled than with it disabled.

These are my current QoS settings that I got from Auto-Setup but I have tried every combination of the sliders / traffic prio on/off, allocation moved around, nothing makes it better:

image.png.a3d0d87edec11d6cb051fa6d96a70b66.pngimage.png.a3d0d87edec11d6cb051fa6d96a70b66.png

This is my score with QoS DISABLED (this score is basically identical to if I run it directly from the modem):
no_qos.thumb.png.4e8123eeb00d065f319b12e6e543eb0d.png

This is my score with QoS ENABLED:

qos_on.thumb.png.a7ed5dacaad80de8731c6231e5c55bba.png

My DumaOS benchmarks are basically identical with it on and off:
QOS_ON_BENCHMARK.thumb.png.8582eda228ee4557ce0710df556ad777.png

QOS_OFF_BENCHMARK.thumb.png.71502ca3ff8d030df0676013dd492879.png

I wouldn't care quite so much but the game I play the tournaments use waveform to determine connection issues in favor of one person or another so I have to get that waveform score as good as I can.

Any ideas?

• Tash1 changed the title to Bufferbloat significantly higher with QoS ON vs off (XR1000)

Waveform is awful, tells me I have high latency all the time, it’s just plain bad.

do yourself a favour and use PingPlotter which there is a free version and run that from a PC wired up, do not alter the standard settings.

image.png.361470c07e0814e2ea9b4fb356e57d45.png

Your line is already crowded at the entrance of the XR! Either you have a problem with your ISP or there are devices using bandwidth upstream of the XR on the main router. Tried putting all of your peripherals behind the XR at first....

moreover made the test with ABB on "always"

image.png.5369e6cab7562b3af1208437bbacbbc4.png

Because if you don't have traffic prioritized at the time of the test, the test will be lunar!

Waveform is not accurate I'd suggest just running ping plotter test since you get the best data however it is a bit time consuming and you have to understand how it works just a tip of advice if you do and your trying to see hops and some show red coming from ISP it just the fact they don't allow packet to pass back and forth etc just do to ddos. All you need to pay attention is last hop when your looking at the performance and they're might be jitter spikes which is common about 30-40ms all depends on your network.

4 hours ago, Fuzy said:

Your line is already crowded at the entrance of the XR! Either you have a problem with your ISP or there are devices using bandwidth upstream of the XR on the main router. Tried putting all of your peripherals behind the XR at first....

I only have one modem and router, so does that mean I have a problem with my ISP? I have also run tests with wifi completely off and just this computer connected via LAN (which is how I do all these tests)

With Congestion Control on Always the connection benchmark seems to have gotten better:
CC_on.thumb.png.75599646a5a63f5e6f06579a0f75b320.png

Waveform has of course gotten even worse than before:

CC_on_wave.thumb.png.6fca7e2de1736d1445ff5b36e35e7a1e.png

Unfortunately I have to use the waveform results when asked about any connection issues. Is there something I can do to make those specifically better? I know that's silly but it's just how it is unfortunately.

• Administrators

It's best to start with a high value for Congestion Control, say 95% then do a test, decrease by 10%, test, decrease by 10% etc, until you get to a value that is pretty good and then try 5% either side of that value to see if it can be improved. It's important to note that Download & Upload on Congestion Control don't have to be the same value and that you may have a better experience with differing values.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Tash1 said:

Okay I'll give that a shot, and should I be testing with Traffic Prio on or off, I feel like it's supposed to be off from other posts but maybe I am not understanding

Yes turn it off if you're going to use third party sites like Waveform as it can impact the test

Okay!!!

Well this has been very exciting.

I had to get the download slider all way down to between 15-20 but my results are great now. Upload slider doesn't seem to make any difference it's always 0-10ms

image_2023-03-12_111826732.png.ba4b9d6c6b98ffd67a8e84f3d9b9238d.png

image_2023-03-12_112014153.thumb.png.48b0100b4510da64602175ce8c9ab00b.png

My problem is solved but if someone wouldn't mind explaining why in the world the Download slider has to be so low for the results to be good, I would appreciate it to help my own understanding.

• Administrators

Great to hear that! You can set it to Auto-Enable now so it only applies when you're actually gaming, so you get full speeds the rest of the time.

Every connection is different and so will require different percentages. Bufferbloat only occurs when your connection is saturated and at your speeds that doesn't happen often.

One more question I guess and I'm okay to make a new thread if that's better.

I mostly play a game that isn't on the list and never will be (Super Smash Bros Melee). Is there anything I need to do to make sure Auto-Enable kicks in when I'm playing that?

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Tash1 said:

One more question I guess and I'm okay to make a new thread if that's better.

I mostly play a game that isn't on the list and never will be (Super Smash Bros Melee). Is there anything I need to do to make sure Auto-Enable kicks in when I'm playing that?

Auto Enable relies on Traffic Prioritization to know when to enable so if DumaOS Classified Games doesn't prioritize when gaming then add a manual rule for the device with the Games Console service and then it will prioritize and Congestion Control will apply.

It's still on PC but has netplay. What information do I need to set up a rule? Would I be setting it up as a Traffic Prio "Device"?

Add Device -> PC -> Games Console? Presumably that would just prioritize all traffic on my PC (which is fine)

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, Tash1 said:

It's still on PC but has netplay. What information do I need to set up a rule? Would I be setting it up as a Traffic Prio "Device"?

Add Device -> PC -> Games Console? Presumably that would just prioritize all traffic on my PC (which is fine)

Yes that's the way to do it. It won't prioritize all traffic, just the ports above 1024 so pretty much all other traffic on the PC won't be caught by that rule.

Sweet okay thanks!....... Oh..... my PC isn't showing on the device manager..... What the heck. I'm doing all this tuning ON the PC which is connected directly to the router....

Did I accidentally hide it or something? How might I bring it back?

5 hours ago, Tash1 said:

I only have one modem and router, so does that mean I have a problem with my ISP? I have also run tests with wifi completely off and just this computer connected via LAN (which is how I do all these tests)

With Congestion Control on Always the connection benchmark seems to have gotten better:
CC_on.thumb.png.75599646a5a63f5e6f06579a0f75b320.png

Waveform has of course gotten even worse than before:

CC_on_wave.thumb.png.6fca7e2de1736d1445ff5b36e35e7a1e.png

Unfortunately I have to use the waveform results when asked about any connection issues. Is there something I can do to make those specifically better? I know that's silly but it's just how it is unfortunately.

Who asks, your isp?

25 minutes ago, Newfie said:

Who asks, your isp?

Tournament organizers for Super Smash Bros Melee will generally side with the person who has the higher waveform score if any ping or connection issues arise. 🙂

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tash1 said:

Sweet okay thanks!....... Oh..... my PC isn't showing on the device manager..... What the heck. I'm doing all this tuning ON the PC which is connected directly to the router....

Did I accidentally hide it or something? How might I bring it back?

It might be appearing as a different name or unnamed device, double check the IPs on the Device Manager of any devices you don't recognize then check the IP on the PC itself to match it

All devices accounted for and there isn't even a LAN line coming off the router 😞 (to be clear I checked all the wireless devices too even though that's impossible for this PC)

image_2023-03-12_160022774.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Tash1 said:

Haha, yellow to Modem, port 1 to PC

I know it may seem like a silly question but I just had someone who had issues due to it being incorrectly plugged in, also the fact the device isn't showing on LAN on the Device Manager is an indicator as well so just had to check! What is the IP the PC is getting and what is an IP for one of the wireless devices? 

2 hours ago, Tash1 said:

Tournament organizers for Super Smash Bros Melee will generally side with the person who has the higher waveform score if any ping or connection issues arise. 🙂

Wow that’s awful. So they rely on that. I take it they don’t understand why it’s god awful and why it’s flawed as a test bed.