Extremely Disappointed XR1000

I upgraded to an XR1000 because Hybrid VPN issues with my XR500 have never been fixed. originally I brought up the issues on July 17, 2019 in DumaOS on NETGEAR Nighthawk Support. Sure I can get the VPN to work on the XR500 but its annoying and not user friendly. I purchased the XR500 because of this convenient and easy way to use VPN from a modem level.
I was under the impression the XR500 was the prototype to the XR1000 and  the XR1000 would be  a superior device, unfortunately I was mistaken.
I was pretty happy with it so far but from what I seen online it had an "app store", ironically one of the reasons I got my XR500. My biggest disappointment with the XR1000 came later on when I needed to use a VPN. The XR1000 has a complete lack of hybrid VPN/ any VPN this is a pretty basic modem feature. I was honestly shocked to see that the XR1000 had less features than its predecessor.

Time to pull out the XR500, I feel like I completely wasted my money falling for the same BS as last time but I ended up with less features that I need.
I have patiently waited years for a fix with admins trying to help me but no real fixes, I'm starting to think this is all over hyped hardware.

I can understand your frustrations here. The XR1000 doesn't yet have Hybrid VPN primarily because of the hardware, it's very complicated to get a feature like HybridVPN working on this hardware. I believe we are still working on getting it supported in future, but unfortunately I don't have an ETA as to when this might be. Hybrid VPN is also still being developed, so it will be improving over time for the XR500 as well.

9 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

I can understand your frustrations here. The XR1000 doesn't yet have Hybrid VPN primarily because of the hardware, it's very complicated to get a feature like HybridVPN working on this hardware. I believe we are still working on getting it supported in future, but unfortunately I don't have an ETA as to when this might be. Hybrid VPN is also still being developed, so it will be improving over time for the XR500 as well.

Right I should of looked into it before buying, cheers for the reply.

I bought a VPN subscription after seeing some Netgear Duma models were advertised with HybridVPN and was surprised the XR500 had it but the XR1000 didn't. Is the XR500 easier to develop for? Curious why the XR1000 is complicated - assuming it comes with extra levels of Netgear functionality that complicates things a bit or is it something else like the hardware configuration?

8 hours ago, TheJam said:

I bought a VPN subscription after seeing some Netgear Duma models were advertised with HybridVPN and was surprised the XR500 had it but the XR1000 didn't. Is the XR500 easier to develop for? Curious why the XR1000 is complicated - assuming it comes with extra levels of Netgear functionality that complicates things a bit or is it something else like the hardware configuration?

It has an adblock and some better hardware for faster wifi. I'm sure its got better specks but I am not sure why you would need it. Not sure if it out preforms the XR500 I am guessing it would. Maybe we will know more when an admin replies.

13 hours ago, TheJam said:

It's just very different hardware from a different manufacturer, that's where the added complications come from.

I might add that the add blocker doesn't seem to even work, I still get Facebook and YouTube adds unless I block them by browser but I wanted the adds blocked on my TV and phone apps.

Do I need to add a list? I did read that a black list was supposed to be maintained by netduma?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, PurpleHaze said:

I might add that the add blocker doesn't seem to even work, I still get Facebook and YouTube adds unless I block them by browser but I wanted the adds blocked on my TV and phone apps.

Do I need to add a list? I did read that a black list was supposed to be maintained by netduma?

You'll need to follow this initially: https://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/articles/16000133055-using-adblocker-on-xr1000

You won't be able to block YouTube ads with it currently.