VPN Disconnecting XR1000

onemorebrew

Hi,

Over the past several months (possibly over a year), i've been trying to link Nord VPN to my XR1000 router so that I can use it to bypass the CGNAT issue I'm having. I've watched several videos on how to do so but, every time I connect to a server on the VPN, my router says it's no longer connected and i can't use it until I disconnect the VPN again. I know there's something I'm missing or doing wrong but I now have absolutely no idea what it is! Can somebody please help?

Also, as a quick side note, I seem to get an average of about 4 days of what I'd consider good gaming connection in a month, 2 weeks of average and the rest is awful and I might as well not play. Might this be because of the CGNAT or is it likely to be my ISP?

Many thanks

• Administrators

Just to clarify, when you enable the VPN on your PC, does that prevent internet access or just access to the router interface? If the latter then that is expected, you're creating a network tunnel that then excludes the router.

The easiest way to circumvent CG-NAT is to contact your ISP, they may be able to remove you from it (I've only seen that happen for one person) or get a static IP from them (they may charge extra for this), otherwise switching to an ISP that doesn't use CG-NAT.

Until today I thought it was just the interface but, having retried after reading your reply, NETGEAR and NordLynx say they have connection and "OpenVPN TAP - Windows6 3"  says "No internet access" underneath it. When I click on "Change Adapter Options" that doesn't seem to appear as an option.

I think I will be looking to change my ISP in the near future, it seems the easiest route and i've got a full streaming setup that's going to waste because of this unstable connection.

• Administrators

I don't think it's the router specifically causing the problem but try it when directly connected to the modem as well. If your goal is to be streaming then using a VPN would only add additional latency as well which you wouldn't want. 

Oh ok, thank you very much for the info!

While I'm here, I had a problem a while ago where I couldn't access parts of my router and you suggested turning off NETGEAR Armour. I'm having that issue again now but, this time I can only access the settings option. I have rebooted it, reset it and tried the old trusty off/on again and nothing works. NETGEAR Armour is also still off as well.

The messages i'm getting are Missing Response from JSON and a longer one starting with "AJAX GET request"

1 hour ago, onemorebrew said:

Oh ok, thank you very much for the info!

While I'm here, I had a problem a while ago where I couldn't access parts of my router and you suggested turning off NETGEAR Armour. I'm having that issue again now but, this time I can only access the settings option. I have rebooted it, reset it and tried the old trusty off/on again and nothing works. NETGEAR Armour is also still off as well.

The messages i'm getting are Missing Response from JSON and a longer one starting with "AJAX GET request"

Have you by chance put it into AP mode?

If so, this disables all features of DumaOS and the router just behaves as an access point.

From memory, I believe this setting is in Network Settings -> Setup -> Router mode

• 3 weeks later...