packet burst warzone with only R2

Erik

good evening guys, for months my netduma r2 has always worked great without problems, however for 2 weeks while playing warzone on the screen I see the orange trangle icon which means packet burst with consequent failure to register the shots and I clearly find myself lagging behind the enemy. I'm afraid my R2 has some package management issues but I don't know what to change as it's always been fine. I normally restart it once every two weeks. R2 is cascaded to fritzbox 7590. If I disconnect the pc from R2 and connect it to 7590, the packet burst problem disappears. All devices are connected to R2 and I have no conenction congestion problems as I have 2.5 gbps fiber. Thanks to those who can help me solve this thing.

• Administrators

Is there anything that has changed recently - settings changes, upgrades, any new devices/changes to your local network?

Could you provide a screenshot of your QoS page and a completed Connection Benchmark test please?

7 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Is there anything that has changed recently - settings changes, upgrades, any new devices/changes to your local network?

Could you provide a screenshot of your QoS page and a completed Connection Benchmark test please?

as soon as I get back from work I put everything there.  but I can tell you that I have not changed any settings myself added new devices.  the sliders are set to 70 and 70 but could easily stay on 100 and 100 without problems.  The only thing I can say for sure is that the lag in game decreases if I disable the QOS from the R2 settings.  I hope it is not a physical problem of R2, I have the impression that it is not responsive enough in the “parcel analysis” phases to give the right priorities.  I can't afford to reset the router, it would be an ordeal for me.  lately I notice an "important" use of the r2 cpu in gaming, but I'm using very little bandwidth, just a couple of mega.

4 hours ago, Erik said:

as soon as I get back from work I put everything there.  but I can tell you that I have not changed any settings myself added new devices.  the sliders are set to 70 and 70 but could easily stay on 100 and 100 without problems.  The only thing I can say for sure is that the lag in game decreases if I disable the QOS from the R2 settings.  I hope it is not a physical problem of R2, I have the impression that it is not responsive enough in the “parcel analysis” phases to give the right priorities.  I can't afford to reset the router, it would be an ordeal for me.  lately I notice an "important" use of the r2 cpu in gaming, but I'm using very little bandwidth, just a couple of mega.

Could you please try adding a new rule to Traffic Prioritisation. Select your PC as the device and select 'Games Console' as the service.

After that, disable the other rules in Traffic Prio and play some games to see how it feels.

23 hours ago, Netduma Liam said:

Could you please try adding a new rule to Traffic Prioritisation. Select your PC as the device and select 'Games Console' as the service.

After that, disable the other rules in Traffic Prio and play some games to see how it feels.

I tried to carry out your suggestions, unfortunately I had already set them some time ago from another thread. This morning I was lucky enough to try an xr1000 where I copied exactly the settings of r2 into it. The packet burst problem I had is magically solved. Now I would like to understand why R2 causes that problem, the difference can already be seen in the fluidity of management of the DUMAOS, R2 is much slower in this case than xr1000.

these are my results, on xr1000. they are very similar on R2. In QOS I have the cursors at 70%. I do not understand everything because here I see 700 mb in download while in the speedtest on the web it easily detects the 900 megs in download. Beyond this with the cursors at 70% I did a test on dsl report under load I have a ping variation at max of 5 ms, dumaos would automatically leave the cursors at 99% down and 90% up.

benchmark.JPG

speedtest pianeta fibra.JPG

• Administrators

Don't worry about the speed side on Benchmark, it uses different servers so can give differing results. Don't allow it to auto set Congestion Control, judging by your Ping Under Load results more work needs to be done to get it looking like the Ping Test graph in the middle. On the R2, change the percentage, test, change, test etc until you find the values that get them looking the same.

55 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Non preoccuparti del lato velocità su Benchmark, utilizza server diversi quindi può dare risultati diversi. Non consentirgli di impostare automaticamente il controllo della congestione, a giudicare dai risultati di Ping Under Load è necessario fare più lavoro per farlo assomigliare al grafico Ping Test nel mezzo. Su R2, cambia la percentuale, prova, cambia, prova ecc. finché non trovi i valori che li fanno sembrare uguali.

Ok fraser thanks. Should I want to connect R2 to xr1000 do I connect it LAN to LAN or LAN to WAN? I would use it to completely manage the upper floor of the house, but I would like the main one to be xr1000 because that's where I connected the pc to play.

• Administrators

I would recommend doing R2 > XR1000 (AP mode) if possible as that would be better. In your scenario, the XR1000 is a device to the R2 so you would plug into the R2 LAN port. For the XR1000 the R2 is a source of internet so you would plug into the WAN port.

25 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Consiglierei di fare R2> XR1000 (modalità AP), se possibile, in quanto sarebbe meglio. Nel tuo scenario, l'XR1000 è un dispositivo per l'R2, quindi dovresti collegarlo alla porta LAN R2. Per l'XR1000, l'R2 è una fonte di Internet, quindi ti collegherai alla porta WAN.

ok, how do i manage the devices in the house then? Do I keep geo filters active on both of them? same thing for the QOS?

3 hours ago, Erik said:

ok, how do i manage the devices in the house then? Do I keep geo filters active on both of them? same thing for the QOS?

ok I will do as you say for sure, I would like to try to remove the 7590 and put R2 in pppoe as the primary router, but I don't understand why it never reaches 950 in download but always and only 650..700.  The only thing to bypass this problem is to deactivate the QOS, but I don't think it is healthy to deactivate and activate the QOS

• Administrators

PPPoE may reduce the speed slightly & as well as the efficiency of QoS so I would suggest keeping it as is if possible. QoS/DPI is additional processing on the hardware so for some people you may not get full speeds with this enabled - you can activate/deactivate QoS as many times as you want, it won't cause any issues. Disable the protection options in WAN Settings and it may boost your speeds slightly.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:57 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

PPPoE may reduce the speed slightly & as well as the efficiency of QoS so I would suggest keeping it as is if possible. QoS/DPI is additional processing on the hardware so for some people you may not get full speeds with this enabled - you can activate/deactivate QoS as many times as you want, it won't cause any issues. Disable the protection options in WAN Settings and it may boost your speeds slightly.

ok fraser thanks.  I have another question though: why in the traffic priority in the QOS - games console item I have few packages in download and many in uploads?  shouldn't they be about the same?

9 hours ago, Erik said:

ok fraser thanks.  I have another question though: why in the traffic priority in the QOS - games console item I have few packages in download and many in uploads?  shouldn't they be about the same?

How big of a difference are we talking? Can you provide a screenshot?

Generally I think we'd expect Upload to be a bit higher than Download, but not a massive difference.

23 minutes ago, Netduma Liam said:

How big of a difference are we talking? Can you provide a screenshot?

Generally I think we'd expect Upload to be a bit higher than Download, but not a massive difference.

later I provide a screen!  I already notice that the difference is great.  use as rule 3074: 3074 destination 30000-45000 udp.  I still have the same problem even if I only activate "games console"

2 ore fa, Netduma Liam ha detto:

Di quanta differenza stiamo parlando? Puoi fornire uno screenshot?

In generale penso che ci aspetteremmo che Upload sia un po 'più alto di Download, ma non una differenza enorme.

traffic.JPG

19 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you use DumaOS Classified Games instead do you see the same behavior?

the same, and I can't give myself why.  I have the ports open only through port forwarding..if I use NAT or DMZ the situation gets worse.  my connection is still perfect.

3 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Just to clarify, you have a good connection to the game with Traffic Prioritization set as it is?

I would say excellent, I keep the cursors on 70%, but I could very well raise them to 90, no more, otherwise in Ping under load it begins to rise

5 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

In that case you don't need to worry about the packet values, as the old saying goes - if it isn't broken, don't fix it!

the problem is that if I have more packages in upload than download I am late in the game .. vice versa everything works great.